What sealent is safe for snakes on Melamine?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VK2EMP

AussiePythons Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As the title says I'm getting a Reptile One S2M 1266 (120x60) enclosure for my Woma - originally had a 90x45 set up to move him into but it will be more suited for my spotted python.

Any brands of sealant that are safe for snakes so I can seal the enclosure to prevent damage from e.g. spilt water bowl or snake pee?

I never found any which worked particularly well, they all eventually lose adhesion enough to leak, but they're all safe once they've been allowed to cure. Builder's Adhesive (eg 'Liquid Nails') would probably work although it wouldn't be pretty.

I stopped using wooden enclosures over 10 years ago and don't for a moment miss them. If I do use some again I'll probably go for something like pine or MDF and use a generous amount of sealant on the whole surface, I greatly doubt I'd ever go for melamine again (I spent about 20 years using them... difficult to imagine now!). I knew one guy who even used to seal raw wood enclosures with acrylic paint which worked quite well. Using something like silicone in the melamine joins doesn't tend to work as well, it doesn't seem to bond well with the melamine coating.

Back