Wild-Caught Mice

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brad Griffin

AussiePythons Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey folks,
In an attempt to give my foster Morelia spilota cheynei a more natural diet, I have invested in a live catch mouse trap. Over the past month, I've been able to feed the python three small mice (after euthanizing the mice first of course).
The python has accepted this change from Pinkies immediately. My question is, is my method of trapping mice that are in my bus ethically okay in the community?
For context, the mice raid my oats and other grains and are not exposed to baits or any other toxic chemicals.
I euthanize the mice and feed them to the snake immediately after.
I see no issue with this method of obtaining food for my Jungle python. If I didn't feed them to the snake, I'd be leaving them out for the Butcher birds and owls. However, I'd appreciate any constructive feedback.
Cheers,
Brad

I don't see a problem with catching your own feed, in the wild they don't eat lab bred mice. Although I'm sure some will carry on about bacteria. Or the sooks that will call you a murderer but in nature this would happen without your help.
As you say they are eating your grain so they are well fed and euthanized before feeding so carry on

We don’t use poison so we control rats and mice with the old fashioned snap traps. It seems a waste to me to throw them into the bush, compost, rubbish, etc., AND pay big bucks at the pet shop to buy them to feed my snake. Unfortunately, I can’t guarantee that the rodents we catch haven’t had poison from one of my neighbours 🙁

We don’t use poison so we control rats and mice with the old fashioned snap traps. It seems a waste to me to throw them into the bush, compost, rubbish, etc., AND pay big bucks at the pet shop to buy them to feed my snake. Unfortunately, I can’t guarantee that the rodents we catch haven’t had poison from one of my neighbours 🙁
Hi Delilah,
Thankfully, any mice that might have eaten rat poison would have to travel over 500 metres, and across a road before trying to get inside my bus, and then enter the live trap. That would have to be a super mouse :)

Back