Aussie reptiles... YOU are building a solid future!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
thats all well and good that we are breeding FREAKS worth $$$$$$$$$$

but what about our threatened and endangered species and the destruction of habitat??

what are we doing towards that? isnt it more important than breeding some wack looking
mantle piece ornament???

i hope we as reptile enthusiasts can do something,
then we can really be proud of herpetology

I definately agree with that!

Lets all pat our selves on the back for being born in Australia. lol.

thats all well and good that we are breeding FREAKS worth $$$$$$$$$$

but what about our threatened and endangered species and the destruction of habitat??

what are we doing towards that? isnt it more important than breeding some wack looking
mantle piece ornament???

i hope we as reptile enthusiasts can do something,
then we can really be proud of herpetology

Not all the nice jungles or Morelia bred are freaks!
What gives you that idea?
There are quite a vast number of keepers these days;
that put a lot of time; passion; and effort into breeding quality animals....
It's also safe to assume that most keepers do their little bit towards encouraging
new keepers into the hobby.....through education; answering questions etc etc.
If your really concerned about the destruction of habitat etc;
you would do better to join originations like Land Care; Green Peace; etc.
Keep in mind that the reality is; most of us keep reptiles for our pleasure.
Like yourself; I to hope we as reptile enthusiasts can do something....
By encouraging others (non-reptile types) about the beauty; benefits of; etc;
is a small step; in the right direction; which each; and all of us can be proud about.

I'm not sure what countries you are referring to with "especially over those countries where inbreeding is common place an their only choice." I assume you are blindly following the belief that countries outside of ours don't have access to pure animals ? This quite obviously isn't the case.

the same as we don't have access to theirs!

indicus, I believe encouraging other people to own Reptiles has quite the oppisite effect. More Reptile owners means more unlicenced owners with wild caught pets. I fail to see how Captive bred Snakes are benefiting our endangered species in any way, shape or form.

It was only the other day that I went to purchase a frog and the Hoxton Park owner informed me that most of his animals are wild caught and that he is unlicenced. He had everything from Broadheaded Sandswimmers to Marsh Frogs to Marble Geckos.
The odds are that one of his mates owned some Reptiles and he has decided to get some for himself.

You breed an uncommon species of snake. So what? They cant be released to the wild so theres absolutely no benefit to Australia other then a few extra dollars in your pocket each year whilst some John or Jane Doe have a new pet.

Land Care? Green Peace? That's like saying if you want to see Reptiles go to a Zoo! You dont need to be a member of any organisation in order to do your part.

Hummmm, not sure about that one Lockie...definitely nice Jungles, but far from a god!

But back to your post...very well said!

I reckon you're just a secret admirer having one of his animals as your avatar and all:lol:

I think there's a lot of silent achievers out there who don't ever even have a thing to do with the internet and sites such as this who are all doing their little bit for conservation,education etc about reptiles and introducing others to this wonderful hobby helping many realise that a good snake is not a dead snake mentality instead of the other way round.I'd like to think everyone here is also doing their own little bit no matter how big or small it is towards the conservation etc etc and keeping of our unreal range of reptiles throughout the whole of Australia.

Yes there may be some people out there breeding freaks but i think many would be surprised what freaks of nature still come straight from the wild and if people are thinking albinos and such are freaks the simple fact is all originated from the wild and have been bred by excellent breeders who have made them available to the hobby and everyone in it such as ourselves!.Every single person we all introduce to keeping herps who start keeping themselves is already a start in the right direction,there will always be the good and bad sides of any hobby and i'd like to think all of us as enthusiasts can encourage others to do the right thing by our fauna and habitat destruction,conservation etc etc but fact is we can't do it all but every little bit we do do towards conservation etc etc is making a good move in the right direction.We all share a common passion i'd like to thiink and if we can keep passing that onto others such as the next or younger and older generations we're already helping out even if it's a bit or a lot...good thread Lockie!!

Hey Browns

The avatar is actually a pic of my own b&w that never came from indicus, got ya think'n now
haven't I? ;)

That was my reason for saying indicus is no god of the b&w's! There out there, ya just got know
people and where to look ;) And the other reason I questioned the god thing is because when
you do purchase a pair of b&w's worth a few thousand each of indicus and they arrive in dirty
old socks, you've really got to question the god thing don't ya think? :D

Anyway, back to original thread, I couldn't agree with you more Browns...well said.

blackghost
Actually Wayne;
I use Brand NEW kids socks to send hatchling's in.....they make the best snake bags to send hatchling's in IMO.
Come-on is that best you can do? :lol:
Lets see a full body shot of your B/W avatar picture hey...lol
Come on mate....are you still upset that i didnt get back to phoning you within a week last season? get over it!!! :lol:
Whats your real problem? (beside the obivious)
As to B/W's being out there....well the truth is; there are bugger all being bred; and most that do have them;
have animals that have been ripped off from out of the scrub......The difference is only 'few' of us have captive bred stock.....if yours didnt come from me; or the few other captive breeders (which i happen to know);
Has to make one wonder.....

I agree with you Andrew ,
conservation starts at ground level face to face in little steps untill the minority become the majority then try to force the officials above to be more conservative in regards our native species and there habitat , etc .
but there any many people putting there time into our hobby , us reptile lovers .
there has been many people in oz herpetoculture past and present who devoted there lives to conservation of australiana ,
so lets not get caught up in naming anyone in specific ? something special,
we are all the same ,
doing our best each day in this life,

Roger

Thought you'd come along and post soon enough Rog, seeing your mentioned as one of the best...lol I agree, it's one of Rogers in my new avatar pic..
Cheers
scott.
PS. Next lot of hatchies Roger, can you send them down in socks please? lol
BTW, changed my username.

Sorry I left you out Blackghost - my post was a little umm... black & white.

Good post Lockie....gotta say that the pic Blackghost uses looks identical to one that Tremain sent me last season.
I guess the head patterns could be the same.

Using socks to send hatchies, what a good idea and I guess kids socks from a discount shop would only cost 2 or 3 $ a pair.
I'll be using them next season.

Actually Wayne;
I use Brand NEW kids socks to send hatchling's in.....they make the best snake bags to send hatchling's in IMO.
Come-on is that best you can do? :lol:
Lets see a full body shot of your B/W avatar picture hey...lol
Come on mate....are you still upset that i didnt get back to phoning you within a week last season? get over it!!! :lol:
Whats your real problem? (beside the obivious)
As to B/W's being out there....well the truth is; there are bugger all being bred; and most that do have them;
have animals that have been ripped off from out of the scrub......The difference is only 'few' of us have captive bred stock.....if yours didnt come from me; or the few other captive breeders (which i happen to know);
Has to make one wonder.....

Oh, it's all good mate ;) It tells me though that you mus'nt have many socks left for your
kids :lol:

Can't reveal to much on the b&w's, you know how it is these days ;) But I can tell you that the
avatar is actually from your line, just not bought directly from you.

Anyway mate, all is forgiven and forgotten, I was just hav'n a dig, but the thread was originally
started by Lockie and a very important one too, so I'd like to go back to reading more on other
peoples comments regarding the topic, not on b&w's.

blackghost

Oh, it's all good mate ;) It tells me though that you mus'nt have many socks left for your
kids :lol:

Can't reveal to much on the b&w's, you know how it is these days ;) But I can tell you that the
avatar is actually from your line, just not bought directly from you.

Anyway mate, all is forgiven and forgotten, I was just hav'n a dig, but the thread was originally
started by Lockie and a very important one too, so I'd like to go back to reading more on other
peoples comments regarding the topic, not on b&w's.

blackghost
Hey Lockie,very sorry to go so far off topic on your thread but when people carry on like spoilt little kiddies sometimes things need to be pointed out!I'll get back on topic and hope your thread continues to be a decent one as it has so far without the odd nip here and there?????

Yeah Mr Webb you got me thinking alright but not what you think i'm thinking:lol:

As i said you must have a secret bit of admiration for him seeing you're using one of his animals as your avatar,now was i correct in saying that or not?Further more you say it's not directly from indicus but is from his line so it's one of his animals in your avatar correct?In fact it's still an animal that belongs to him and he bred from her this season producing a screaming clutch of all mad striped animals.I did point out to him some time ago now that you were using a pic he'd taken as your avatar and that it was a copyright breach however being the decent bloke he is didn't really mind at all but now that you bring up it's not directly from him but is from his line there's a few things i think should be pointed out to show how full of it you really are!As i said that pic is from the pic i've attached and as mentioned by Jason2 is identical to a pic he had posted to him last season apart from the fact that it's identical which it isn't only due to a simple bit of photoshopping by yourself and people will see where you have removed the small thin black line going from the mouth of the skull n crossbones to the eye on the left as well as taking a good close look quite a few things line up exactly the same in your pic and the one attached below where the top right crossbone meets the white on the pattern and the same on the top left part of the let crossbone looking front on.Also the nose lines up exactly the same and one other thing you changed is the mouth under the eyes which has had it's shape rounded a touch but the eyes are exactly the same.I could go on but people just need to checkout the pic below and they'll easily see for themselves.That pic is also from last year and is a much older animal than any he's sold.

Myself i can always recognise animals i'vbe seen before mainly due to their head pattern which in this case you have not only copied the pic but altered it which many others would take great offence to.Do you think he doesn't know what animals are his or not especially seeing this one is from a particular clutch he's been rearing for some time now and only just bred from her this season.He has a photographic record of every animal he's produced and none have that same head pattern even if changed by someone trying to fool people but is only fooling themselves.I've seen that very animal since he practically first got it right to when he bred it this season yet you claim it's not directly from him but is from his line which like i told you in the first place i recognised myself and not just now but sometime ago.It may not be such a big deal and really isn't to indicus nor is it to me but you carrying on as if you know all about it is a joke and basically more lies from yourself!

Oh,It's all good mate:lol:If you knew you'd know he has no kids so you're on the wrong track there too!In fact i also received my BW's in socks which were as he's mentioned brand new kiddies socks that happen to make great bags to put hatchlings in when they get sold but i can assure you this,he never sold that snake in your avatar to anyone and most definitely not to you but is still very much his so keep trying to believe yourself and making out the animal is a different one than the one below which others will easily work out themselves from taking a good look at the pic,mainly the head pattern and where things line up such as the crossbones and nose with a few things touched up like the small thin black line going to the left eye from the mouth part of the face which i like to call it on the skull and crossbones pattern....you're just fooling yourself and may have fooled others bu now you've come unstuck and i'm -PMSLROTF:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: Now no death threats please this is meant to be a civil forum without that sort of childishness but someone had to point it out after you put your own foot in it:lol: I forgot to mention it is the very same snake in indicus's avatar as well and he has plenty more pics and doesn't need to bullcrap on about these sorts of things which was why he didn't mention a thing about it ages ago as it didn't bother him but i'm sure it does now!!

Now take a good look at the pic below and draw your own conclusions and may the thread continue as it was,some very valid points mentioned and no need to name anyone i think we're all dong our little or big bit in one way or another wether recuing snakes off the road or taking great photos of them without manipulating them:lol:etc etc.

Cheers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attachments

• BWb2.jpg
    BWb2.jpg
    192.9 KB · Views: 73
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back