Leucistic Blue-tongue Skinks

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Im still waiting for the pics of the leucistic bluetongue ,
so far non have come even close ,

the ones in the pics do look t plus albino genetics to me or hypos ,

but no leucistics

Roger

Yes and my concern is that IF these are the ones being bred in Darwin as leucistics the breeders needs to know they aren't.

i highly doubt there are any true ones,having looked at what a few try to say are albinos,u have to wonder,lol,doesnt phase me if there are or arent,be interesting to see them,but i like the natural colored ones more,take for example albino easterns,they dont do anything for me,i am quite partial to the all black ones though,and ive seen an albino blotched,and i must say that looked rather awsome as well,keep the pics coming,there are some nice looking colors being shown

What would people class the lighter of the two posted here by Bapi then?
As i have a friend with Northerns displaying similar traits with a mixture
of the unusual white ones and normals with Northern litters..

Cheers
Matt

Well they aren't Blueys but here are some pics of true Leucistic reptiles (courtesy of Google image search lol). They look way better than most Albino animals (imo anyway).

I've also noticed that a lot of the Yankee beardies being touted as Leucistic are really just pale/snow phase. Maybe a lot of people don't know what a true Leucistic animal looks like? Before this thread started, I didn't really know either.

Do we have any true Leucistic reptiles in Oz?

Leucistic1374.jpg

s%20leucistic%20texas%20rat%20snake.JPG

baby_leucistic_monacled1.jpg

albino-alligator.jpg

Dunno. Maybe. Google is not exactly the most trustworthy of sources :lol:

There are definately Leucistic alligators out there though.

leucistic i was of the impression would lose all trace of patterning,not get paler in regards to growth,hence why the pale bluey cant be classes as leucistic,bapi,its a great looking color phased northern,ill grant u that,but im sticking with hypomelanistic ;p would love to newborn pics of the pales amongst the normal northerns,the dark eye coloring is quite facinating to,i can see why they are assumed to be leucistics

im no expert on color mutations though so will be watching this thread with interest,come on people,lets have some expert advice here,what the heck is that northern classed as

There was a leucistic green sea turtle (Minty) at the aquarium here in Townsville, it died a couple of months ago, pity it was a wonderful animal, I saw it the day before it died and it seemed fine.. Steve Irwin had a Leucistic Salty didn't he?

Like I said it looks hypomelanistic to me but definitely not leucistic.

im no expert on color mutations though so will be watching this thread with interest,come on people,lets have some expert advice here,what the heck is that northern classed as

Sorry to be flogging a dead horse but they are not just hypomelanistic. Hypomelanistic means just a reduction in melanin and melanin derived pigments. Which they do but they also have a reduction (although not complete) in the yellow/red family of pigments too. So in addition to being hypomelanistic they are also hypoxanthic and hyperythistic. While agreeing they are not the same mutation as the leucistic snakes they are leucisticish since they are an overall reduction in chromatophores except for the eyes. Perhaps the term dilute would suit better? if you have a close look at these two siblings you will see the paler one is paler in all pigments not just melanin

Attachments

• btsish.JPG
    btsish.JPG
    32.7 KB · Views: 235
Sorry to be flogging a dead horse but they are not just hypomelanistic. Hypomelanistic means just a reduction in melanin and melanin derived pigments. Which they do but they also have a reduction (although not complete) in the yellow/red family of pigments too. So in addition to being hypomelanistic they are also hypoxanthic and hyperythistic. While agreeing they are not the same mutation as the leucistic snakes they are leucisticish since they are an overall reduction in chromatophores except for the eyes. Perhaps the term dilute would suit better? if you have a close look at these two siblings you will see the paler one is paler in all pigments not just melanin

Wow a bit to wade through, unfortunately quite a bit of mis-information as well. The whole thread I am referring to not the quote above.
Hypomelanistic is the same as dilute.
Seeing and holding the animal would solve the query directly, but from the photos the blue tongue is hypomelanistic.
I have held in my hands various leusistic reptiles overseas, (the leusistic nile Monitor that was showed a few pages back was one) plus littlerally thousands of other mutation reptiles. Once you have seen and held a leusistic reptile you truely understand the term leusistic. It is hard for me to explain but basically the scales are a un-natural white. My wife recently brought a couch which is white enough to call leusistic :) It is not a bleached out white, rather an intense white.
Albinos are hypomelanistic as well just more extreme than the "average" hypermelanistic animal. Think of hypomelanism as varying degrees of dilute. Sometimes you have just a bit of dilution, for example some of the bredli going around, then you have some more dilution such as the "white" blue tongues floating around Qld then the extreme being albino. On a side note the terms T+ and T- are used frequently but they are terms that to the best of my knowledge have not been proven.
The white of a leusistic reptile is very intense.
Hope that helps.
Regards
Euan

Wow a bit to wade through, unfortunately quite a bit of mis-information as well. The whole thread I am referring to not the quote above.
Hypomelanistic is the same as dilute.
Seeing and holding the animal would solve the query directly, but from the photos the blue tongue is hypomelanistic.
I have held in my hands various leusistic reptiles overseas, (the leusistic nile Monitor that was showed a few pages back was one) plus littlerally thousands of other mutation reptiles. Once you have seen and held a leusistic reptile you truely understand the term leusistic. It is hard for me to explain but basically the scales are a un-natural white. My wife recently brought a couch which is white enough to call leusistic :) It is not a bleached out white, rather an intense white.
Albinos are hypomelanistic as well just more extreme than the "average" hypermelanistic animal. Think of hypomelanism as varying degrees of dilute. Sometimes you have just a bit of dilution, for example some of the bredli going around, then you have some more dilution such as the "white" blue tongues floating around Qld then the extreme being albino. On a side note the terms T+ and T- are used frequently but they are terms that to the best of my knowledge have not been proven.
The white of a leusistic reptile is very intense.
Hope that helps.
Regards
Euan

So they are basicly a glowing white?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back