disabled beardie hatchie

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

alex_c

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
hi all i have a beardie who is a few weeks old that has lost most of his back legs. anyone have any experience raising an animal like this into adult hood?. all i can think of is making him one of them little cart things.hes a real little battler despite his disability and is actually one of the biggest and most active in the clutch.

sorry to hear about ur little beardie :( do u mean his leggs arnt there at all or he has lost movement in them

yea coz i have a spencers monitor that has no use of one arm and he still gets along fine but it depends on how it happend and what u mean like if they have been bitten off etc

they were bitten off so he is just left with 2 stumps.hes happy and healthy otherwise so i would like to give him a chance at life.

It's a shame but at least next time you will know to house them seperately! For such cute critters they can be real canabalistic..I have a friend who was given a beardy recently with no legs :shock: it's about 5 i think and it has no problems eating and moving. Just see how the little tike goes they seem to adapt to their disability very quickly good luck with him

one of my beardies is a stumpie lil guy he has a stump for one arm and he is the best little breeder he has the nicest colours and he gets along fine, could u maby post a pic so we can see how serious it is? if its just his feet he should be ok u said he is getting along ok just make sure he is seperated and he is still eating etc

one of my beardies is a stumpie lil guy he has a stump for one arm and he is the best little breeder he has the nicest colours and he gets along fine, could u maby post a pic so we can see how serious it is? if its just his feet he should be ok u said he is getting along ok just make sure he is seperated and he is still eating etc
aint got a camera but its at the knee on each side.he gets around ok though.

It's a shame but at least next time you will know to house them seperately! For such cute critters they can be real canabalistic..I have a friend who was given a beardy recently with no legs :shock: it's about 5 i think and it has no problems eating and moving. Just see how the little tike goes they seem to adapt to their disability very quickly good luck with him
they were all the same size and there wasnt any aggression as such.theyd just randomly start chewing on eachother and having 40 of them its pretty difficult to house separately.

Sorry to hear that,.

If it is at the knee there is a good chance he will get used to using his stumps as legs,.

Im no expert by all means, but I recently had 1 chomp on the other ones foot and we had to get it chopped off,.
It has only been a couple of weeks and s/he already gets around like the others with no hassles,.

So maybe see how it goes,. if you think it is suffering or struggling to much you might have to take Jasons advice,.
But if it was me I would wait & see how it goes,. ;)
who doesnt know a beardie with a leg missing?

It would be good if you could borrow a camera and get some pics.,.

Good luck & Keep us posted ;)

eh should be fine as long as he can move around you will wanna make sure he is kept on soft substrate as not to produce bed sore on the softer skin but otherwise animals deal great with things like this

I had a yearling yellow phase bearded dragon that lost its front right leg a fight and it back felt foot again a fight and it was given to me and it lived to 6 years old and breed for me to laying 20 eggs but died just last year.

I saw on this show that these people rescued a bluey from fire and its feet up to the knee had to get chopped off. It had a bandage or something around the stumps and it was living a happy life.

If it's otherwise healthy, just keep an eye on the stumps and make sure it doesn't develop any pressure sores or infection. It will probably do okay if housed individually.

Perhaps you need more tanks, so they can have more space??
Otherwise I think he will cope fine, if no sores or infection appear.

Kim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back