Tp Cull or not to Cull part II

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

slim6y

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
To Cull or not to Cull part II

http://news.theage.com.au/kangaroo-cull-in-canberra-put-on-hold/20080331-22ps.html

So they're trying a big move....

We've been likened to the Japanese and their whaling... Though I don't think we ever hid behind the 'research' button - we just out right ate our kangaroos and fed em to our dogs!

Is the government getting soft?

Is relocation going to work?

And now what are our military going to take target practice on? Brumbies?

Last edited:
If we don't have to kill them, and relocation is an option, then surely it's the only sensible way to go. I'm sure it'll be more expensive but it'd be nice to see the animal put first before the mighty dollar....... Either that or shoot them and stick them in Coles in a vacuum pack thingy :D

I recall that in the first "To Cull or Not to Cull" thread that there was huge opposition to relocation. Most who opposed it were all for the shooting of them.

So I wanted to see if we have some results as of yet....

relocation will probably be extremely stressful for them and may result in a few injuries and deaths.it would be way more simple and humane to just shoot them.honestly how the hell do you catch an animal that weighs 100kg and can jump and then get it into a truck to relocate it without stressing it out immensely?

relocation will probably be extremely stressful for them and may result in a few injuries and deaths.it would be way more simple and humane to just shoot them.honestly how the hell do you catch an animal that weighs 100kg and can jump and then get it into a truck to relocate it without stressing it out immensely?

I don't know... that's what they're researching I guess.

they are comparing us to whalers? Big difference, we hunt an abundant species, often for their own good and we do it humanly. With whailing they hunt endangered species and dont give a rats about if they put the animal through pain or not. I'm all for culling, alot cheaper than relocating or any of the other stupid ideas that have been thrown around.

I reckon a bullet in the head might be more stressfull.

If it did in fact kill them instantly I would agree.

Always an interesting debate. Dead equals no stress and relocation is stressful.

I'd prefer to be stressed.

me thinks we should all get a scrubby or 2 subsidised by the government,
and feed them on roo's supplied by the government.
over population solved

who's with me???:p:p:p

Pro roo shooters have a code of conduct they must adhear to that outlines calibre, bullet weight and where to hit them. These guys can shoot! When they talk head shots then thats where they hit them. Intant death.

does it really matter - death is death.... If they can be relocated with perhaps minimal stress, would you not prefer that?

Actually the whales the Japanese hunt are abundant, and if they can hit them near the spine it kills them instantly, I'm sure they would aim for that area as it would make their job easier.

Removed from familiar territotory dumped in an alien envoronment. Stress, what stress? Culling is perfectly humane when done for the right reasons

mmmm i am for shooting them.
better in the long run really and saving a bit of money.
poor roos though.

I read somewhere that they weren't shooting with guns, but tranquilising the animals then overdosing them with a lethal injection. Sounds pretty quiet and relatively stress free to me.

I think this is the best thing to do. Reloaction would be very stressful as mentioned above, but what happens when the animals get to their new home? Having to compete with existing populations of roos, might actually lead to overpopulation there, then what? Move them again? It may help to increase genetic variation, but there's better ways to do that.

why can't they tranquillise then relocate?

They go to a new location - I think this is what they want to research. They want to see if it is as stressful as you're all making it out to be.

But if I am hearing you all right - you're saying that it is 'ok to move em, so long it doesn't stress em, otherwise we should blow their brains out' does that sound like a fair statement?

well all roo shooters do head shot and none of the roo meat gets wasted it goes into packaging for us to eat and the off cuts are used for pet meat we sell around100kgs a week at work

Pro roo shooters have a code of conduct they must adhear to that outlines calibre, bullet weight and where to hit them. These guys can shoot! When they talk head shots then thats where they hit them. Intant death.
exactly and if thats not adhered to the carcass is worth nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back