Indian Palm Squirrels for sale

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
kellyville pets used to have reptiles on display. They really like to push the boundaries dont they.

I cannot believe you guys – squares will not become feral due to their feed requirements. In the 1950’s, Australia use to have squirrel populations in the capital cities (Melbourne had them on Spring Street). After removal of their food source (habitat) – in this case oak trees - they died out.

I just love how any animal that is not indigenous to the area will become “feral”.

I repeat – DPI (or even federal government) should do a risk assessment to the bio diversity risk posed by many common global pets. This would stop people making the uneducated blanket claims that an animal species will become feral or other wise.

You're hurting me. Please stop talking.

There was a report a few years back suggesting the squirrels in south perth are actually spreading their range, albeit slowly.

I wonder how they're surviving? I have it on good authority that squirrels "will not become feral due to their feed requirements".

The wonders of biology...

Stewart

At 1 of the soccer pitches I play at localy I think there are some aok trees not sure though

Here is a better description of Squirrels (Their history and current impact in Australia). One thing that stands out – The Palm squirrels have been in Australia for more than 80 years and have ONLY formed a small wild population based around the Perth Zoo. The Gray Squirrel has since died out. I have also heard reports of Red squirrel in Melbourne – but they were not mentioned in this report.

http://www.environment.gov.au/biodiversity/abrs/publications/fauna-of-australia/pubs/volume1b/46-ind.pdf

I think the risk was over stated in the WA DPI report – and back to my original statement – there have been no studies on these animals and potential impact to Australia.

Miss_Croft said:
squares will not become feral

Palm squirrels have been in Australia for more than 80 years and have ONLY formed a small wild population based around the Perth Zoo

Hi Miss_Croft,

Thank you for admitting that your original statement was incorrect. It takes a big person to admit they were wrong. I'm sure you'll agree that we don't want uneducated claims made on this site going uncorrected.

Stewart

I used to keep these little guys and whilst they were not the best animal to view (rarely coming out of their hide boxes when anyone was around), they were one of the cutest animals I have kept.
It is now illegal to keep them as stated by a few already unless they are sterile, and has been for a few years now. This would mean that any hand raised ones being offered for sale are in fact several years old or someone is breeding them illegally. They don't have the longest of life spans so if you are interested in getting one, I'd suggest not spending too much on them because of the fact that they could well be old aged pensioners and not young one's as may be claimed.
And as for the pest potential, I'm no expert on them but they will eat just about anything. I fed mine on various animal pellets (they particularly liked rat cubes) as well as grains, some veg and even the odd piece of toast.:)

</IMG>

Well that's good cause she said they were sold being desexed and microchipped:)

Which i guess means they are probably legally bred...

Got no problem with them if thats the case, actually wouldn't mind getting them but at $1000 i'd buy another snake or 2:lol:

Ben

I'd rather you bought the squirrels personally!! So would the rest of your housemates I'm sure :)

there is still a breeding programme set up obviously if they tend to set a market up for them and as usual things can and do happen the general public might be getting the desexed ones but s.##.t happens who will be responsible if and when it does happen ...the cane toads were thought to be in control too at one stage but we all know that is not the case now .......and croft they are feral to this country look at our problems with the last lot of ferals .rabbits, donkeys,camels,canetoads and foxes just to name a few all came to this country cause someone thought it would be a good idea and alas has turned out to be detrimental to our native wildlife so my point was justified in saying how would we go with another one didnt say it was happening now but no doubt human error will happen ...

RRB – I was down playing the potential of Palm squirrels becoming a pest. All the animals you have mentioned were deliberately released and many of them were released multiple times due to failure of the first release (there was a rabbit master paid to watch over the released rabbits).

Did anyone read the link I posted on Squirrels in Australia – it stated there were small populations around Australia (Sydney, Adelaide) – only one surviving based around the Perth Zoo – suggesting it is not a self sustaining population – but more radiating from the protection of the Perth Zoo grounds. Specimens have been found (Caught) up to 140km from the Perth Zoo – but no population started again suggesting there are predators in Australia stopping their spread.

There are many other animals that have been brought to Australia and are kept as pets for example ferrets and guinea pigs – these two have not taken off as feral animals.

As mentioned before to date there has not been a proper bio diversity risk assessment on the palm squirrel and potential impact to the Australian environment.

only one surviving based around the Perth Zoo – suggesting it is not a self sustaining population – but more radiating from the protection of the Perth Zoo grounds.

Hi Miss_Croft,

You're becoming less coherent as this thread wears on. I think you have a different definition of the terms 'feral' and 'self-sustaining' than most people. Maybe those terms mean something different in New York?

Are you (or the Squirrels in Australia page you mentioned) suggesting that Perth Zoo (or someone else) is breeding and deliberately releasing squirrels into their grounds? That's the only way I can think of by which a non self-sustaining population could persist there for as long as it has.

Edit: I'm not trying to have a go at you (that's an Australian saying meaning insulting, undermining or being argumentative towards), but the stuff you're saying doesn't make sense to me, so I'm trying to get clarification on some of your points.

Stewart

I'd also like to point out that the article in question was written 20 years ago.

:p

Hix

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw a red panda in the wild at Mosman once. Talk about feral manace.

About 15 years or so ago you used to be able to buy these squirrels in most pet shops. Pets World at Grace Bros used to sell them.

Squirrels may not do too well around southern states, but what about the tropical north? Various species of squirrels abound in SE asia, and some species will even eat insects. They were introduced into Bali, where they are now a pest. I'm sure fruit and nut farmers would love to see them roaming around their farms. I saw at least two species of squirrel on my recent trip to Thailand, where they turned up everyday from trees around shopping centers, hotels, and in the middle of the wilderness. They are native to Thailand though.

About 15 years or so ago you used to be able to buy these squirrels in most pet shops. Pets World at Grace Bros used to sell them.

15. You mean more like 20 -30
You're really showing your age now Chris!

You could also buy crocs at a shop I think called "wet & wonderful pets?" untill they were released into Manly dam.

I saw 'free roaming' palm squirrels in Taronga Zoo in 1970. Thought they were cute and tried hard to catch one, to no avail!
The last Victorian known population of Grey Squirrels died out in 1973. They were in the Ballarat gardens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back