Six Endangered Blue Iguanas Murdered

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shannon

Reaction score

http://www.blueiguana.ky/news.htm

I personally am devastated by this news. I spoke about my recent trip to Grand Cayman at the MacHerps Annual Show. It was only October last year that I spent two weeks volunteering at the Blue Iguana Recovery Program and developed a close bond with Pedro and several other Blues. Pedro is confirmed dead since entrails were found outside his enclosure but his body is still missing.

Currently over $11,000 Cayman Dollars has been offered as a reward for informational leading to arrests.

Pedro -
SPP_0100.jpg

Pedro Eating a Noni Fruit-
SPP_0071.jpg

Patting Pedro -
SPP_0024.jpg

cruel bastards mabey we should stamp on those bastards see how they like it i hope they rot in hell

Here's more info about it from the International Reptile Conservation Foundation - Blue Iguana Recovery Program's partner.

I encourage you all to visit this link and make a donation - anything you can spare and make sure you click the drop down menu to 'Blue Iguana' so the money goes there. They now have to spend money on security measures - that means less money for the iguanas to they need all the financial support they can get! Thanks guys.

I should also point out that the two females killed were only weeks away from laying precious eggs - they too have been lost, a great blow to the conservation effort. However there is still hope with a few adult breeders remaining and juveniles awaiting release into the wild!

http://ircf.org/news_bluesmurdered.php

http://www.blueiguana.ky/news.htm

I personally am devastated by this news. I spoke about my recent trip to Grand Cayman at the MacHerps Annual Show. It was only October last year that I spent two weeks volunteering at the Blue Iguana Recovery Program and developed a close bond with Pedro and several other Blues. Pedro is confirmed dead since entrails were found outside his enclosure but his body is still missing.

Currently over $11,000 Cayman Dollars has been offered as a reward for informational leading to arrests.

Pedro -
SPP_0100.jpg

Pedro Eating a Noni Fruit-
SPP_0071.jpg

Patting Pedro -
SPP_0024.jpg

What a disgusting case of premeditated malice. What possible motive could there be to commit such an act of cruel barbarism.

What a cowardly, senseless disgusting act. :cry:

I truly cannot understand the twisted minds of some people, hope they rot in their very own version of hell.

I really dont know what to say, what on earth would drive someone to do this? I hope they find the bastards

Thats really sad , some people can be so bloody low, lets hope that person gets whats coming.
People that do things like that should be shot.
Hope the persons caught soon before it happens to another animal , Thats where all the serial killers start from hurting defenseless animals then they work there way to people.
rip pedro

Stone the swine who did it! Or swines, it could have been more then one person.

I dont understand how someone could do such a thing.
I hate aggression but I really want to inflict some major voilence on these low life scum :evil:

I agree - I hope the public get to them before the authorities do!

I dont understand how someone could do such a thing.
I hate aggression but I really want to inflict some major voilence on these low life scum :evil:

that is one of the lowest acts i have heard of in recent times

and yes i agree shannon i hope the locals find them befor the aurthorities do and make a good example of them for anyone else who maybe thinking of the same thing or possibly stealing them

will be putting some money aside as soon as i have some for the recovery program and you may have even made my mind up on my next overseas adventure

hope they at least find the missing animals

RIP pedro

that is absolutely disgusting that some lowlife(s) would do that hope they get caught or something really bad happens to them. perhaps try approaching some of the large global security companies such as blackwater etc because you never know one of them may give you a sponsorship and the security you require.

Thanks everyone - I really appreciate your posts.

Snakecharma - I can guarantee an amazing and memorable experience by volunteering at the Blue Iguana Recovery Program in the Cayman Islands.

I spent two (short) weeks there and enjoyed every second! On top of the fantastic contact you get with the Blues, Cayman has many other features like the Caribbean Sea (great diving + stingray city), all year summer, a host of other reptile life such as anoles and the Cayman Racer (Alsophis cantherigerus caymanus) and I can highly recommend the 'Cayman Colada' after work each day!

Check out the IRCF website for volunteer info. A minimum of two weeks is required, basic accommodation provided. I flew from Brisbane to LA / LA - Miami / Miami to Grand Cayman and it cost me around $3000 return in October 07. Worth every single cent!!!!

BIRPLogo.jpg

http://www.blueiguana.ky/

IRCF.png

http://www.ircf.org

PEDRO in all his glory in his enclosure, Oct 07 - R.I.P. - 1993 - May 3, 2008
SPP_0005-1.jpg

Me holding Peter a juvenile Blue Iguana (Cyclura lewisi)
SPP_0061.jpg

Digging up a hatched nest
SPP_0657.jpg

Me weeding 'Croocked Tail's' enclosure
SPP_0651.jpg

Cayman Colada's after work here each day - YUM!
SPP_0419.jpg

Threat Display
SPP_0081.jpg

Cleaning out Juvenile enclosures
SPP_0018.jpg

Iguana Crossing
SPP_0098.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back