Keeper Bitten By Adder (Vic)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's the risk with keeping venomous animals, It only takes one miscalculation to end up in the papers, at least he didn't end up published near the classifieds.....

Yep, got a text from him this morning and he's not a happy chappy about the media attention and the lies that have been spun. For those who have only ever had to deal with the media from in front of their TV's - don't believe everything you hear!

Geez Jonno, It sounds like you are accusing the media of exagerating and making false claims! But that doesn't ever happen.....

Good to hear they are OK, shame the media got hold of it.

Stories like this do not bode well for keepers as they will inevitably lead to a tightening of what we are allowed to keep. There is a view amongst friends who I believe are in the know that it is just a matter of time before keepers in Victoria will no longer be allowed to keep venomous snakes. Every incident like this brings this day closer.

Very true, there is absolutely nothing for a government to lose and some cheap political points for looking after community safety or some BS.

Is there anyway of preventing the media from getting hold of these stories? (short of not getting treatement)

I am glad to hear he is fine, as far as keeping vens and the laws changing, I dont see it happening, however they may tighten them so that people in Victoria have to provide evidence they can keep them safely as in other states.

At least he didn't get the bite a few hours later, Friday the 13th would of had a more ominous feel to it.

so who took the bite? is it someone starting with R and last name starting with H

Well according to the first page I got from Google, his initials are JD. I know he's a well respected member of the community, and of this forum. I wish him all the best for his recovery.

But hey, if you play with fire, you're bound to get burned once in a while.

This shouldn't deter people from Adders, but it should be used to help educate people about the dangers of elapids.

With the dangers of robbery, isn't it a little irresponsible that they post his street name? Could he do anything do get those details off the reports?

Glad to hear he's alright!

well i just got off the phone talking to him and he was not in a critical condition in fact he will be home from the hosp this morning,it was a bite from one of his baby adders he had a bit of swelling around the lips which they gave him adrenaline for which fixed him,he was never hallucinating and did not collapse he did not need or get any anti venom. he also does not breed or keep exotics . i am sure he will be on here later today.

Wow I heard on the radio he almost died from a "killer adder" who bit him over and over, and that he wasn't breathing when the ambos found him.
I had to tell everyone at work to calm down (they were telling me my little spotted python will kill me) because it's a radio station and the media is no better than a gossip on stories like this.
But... I still thoguht he was in a serious condition from what they were going on about... I never heard something taken so far out of proportion!

If you come on here dude, I hope you're ok (the media attention is probably more deadly than the bite), and so is your adder baby.

I've got a feeling he's at home munching his way through a bowl of Doritos Duke, he's text me back this morning that he and the snake (very importantly) are fine :lol: And talking about cheesey things, I know he's quite cheesed off with the way the media has reported this! By accounts they've blown it out of all proportions! Never let the truth stand in the way of a good story :rolleyes:

Stories like this do not bode well for keepers as they will inevitably lead to a tightening of what we are allowed to keep. There is a view amongst friends who I believe are in the know that it is just a matter of time before keepers in Victoria will no longer be allowed to keep venomous snakes. Every incident like this brings this day closer.

Goodo! Now hopefully they will use this highly intelligent logic to get rid of those other pesky killers, motor vehicles! Im also living in hope for the day where they ban the most troublesome of activities that are the prelude of nearly all accidents, getting out of bed in the morning...all sorts of dangers lurking.....:rolleyes:......

;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back