trust me to get the snappy one

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kazzie

Not so new Member
Reaction score
this is my 1st lil snake twisty. she such a nice looking snake.....just a cranky lil thing. just wondering if anyone has any ideas how to settle her. left her alone for a week to get used to enclosure, fed her once a week on pinky rats. been 4 weeks and she still bites ALOT. tried to handle her once a day for around 10 mins. my friend has one from the same clutch and its great never biten.....is mine likely to settle or am im goin to have a cranky one all the time?

Attachments

• twisty 1.JPG
    twisty 1.JPG
    32 KB · Views: 293
any help would be great. with this being my 1st snake dont know wat to expect, and want to do the best job i can to have a nice snake i can handle and enjoy.

Some people say that a snake will calm down with age and regular handling, others think it's more to do with the individual snake or the size of the snake. So it's hard to say what will or won't work for your one if anything. I'd just keep handling it every so often and if it gets used to it and calms down then great, but there's no way to force a snake to change it's nature.

Good luck with it though :)

I find mine (BHP) is a little psycho depending on how i try to pick him up. If i let him kind of escape and then scoop him up from underneith, only touching the belly. He is fine.
If i get in his face or touch his back or tail, he chucks a wobbly.
Most of the time they just need to get used to handling, dont give up anyway. While there young most people say they are snappy anyway. Mine isnt so i dont really know.

she.....her.....she still bites ALOT.....just a cranky lil thing...... am im goin to have a cranky one all the time?

There lies your problem Kazzie.....should have got a male......lol lol lol

Seriously, nice snake and hope she settles for you....just keep persisting would be my advice

There lies your problem Kazzie.....should have got a male......lol lol lol

Seriously, nice snake and hope she settles for you....just keep persisting would be my advice

LMAO i was goin to say something like that. purely that my my friend has one from same clutch as does one of his friends both male both good. plus my mates female coastal turns sometimes....not trying to be sexiest in anyway, but maybe snakes are like humans and females can be a little bit touchy some times. either way not giving up on her.

haha i would but think she might give my nose a kiss to

Nice snake! Well not all bad you can hold yours, think you got nothing to worry about in time..

The new jungle i got 3 weeks ago strikes randomly in the air for no good reason @ me.

I think the lesson here is to handle before purchase >.<

Nice snake! Well not all bad you can hold yours, think you got nothing to worry about in time..

The new jungle i got 3 weeks ago strikes randomly in the air for no good reason @ me.

I looked at a male bredli hatchie today and it was fistey. I have had my eye on it for some time and watched a guy buy another bredli which made me decide to hold this one. The one the guy brought was very lively but placid. Don't know if it was male or female. The one I was interested in was really bright red with nice green shades. But it would strike at a hand in front of it or above it. I have organised the purchase of a 20 month old male which I should have within a week but it is the most gentle thing and the seller said that it has never bitten and neither have any of its siblings so dunno about the whole gender theory, but dont really know about anything. I brought my MD purely based on the species temprement traits, and yet have heard MD stories to the contrary. I joked with my wife on the way home that if we brought the snappy bredli we would need to rub our hands with Aquim (that alcohol hand cleansing gel) as apparently the snakes dont like the taste. That might work:?

Jungles are notorious for being snappy, not much you can do. From what I've gathered, many never settle. Both of mine just don't like me and snap regularily, I don't even bother trying to handle them unless I have to for cleaning.

Kazz, don't worry about it. If yours will fairly calmly hang out on your arm, will likely settle with a bit more handling. My little olive is master of his enclosure. Stick your hand in, it'll get bit. If he decides to poke his head out though, i can scoop him under the belly and he's the most placid little(for now) snake. Snappiness i hear is a good feature when they're young I hear, means good survival instinct (Last part could be BS but thought I'd mention it!)

Good luck with her!

Jungles are notorious for being snappy, not much you can do. From what I've gathered, many never settle. Both of mine just don't like me and snap regularily, I don't even bother trying to handle them unless I have to for cleaning.

Kazz, don't worry about it. If yours will fairly calmly hang out on your arm, will likely settle with a bit more handling. My little olive is master of his enclosure. Stick your hand in, it'll get bit. If he decides to poke his head out though, i can scoop him under the belly and he's the most placid little(for now) snake. Snappiness i hear is a good feature when they're young I hear, means good survival instinct (Last part could be BS but thought I'd mention it!)

Good luck with her!

We have 2 B/W jungle pythons that were really placid and would not even bite when prevoked, down side is getting them to feed, Yet our coastal wont bite straight away, he will hiss alot to warn you, and our Murray Darling I feel safe enough to get out when I am home alone and he is between 7 and 8 feet, alot of what I have learnt is to handle them as much as possible when they are younger and let them bite, they will soon get the point that biting is not detering you.

i have a differing view, when they are young they are alot more intimidated by the larger animals touching them. i feel you should handle very little while they are young and then begin to handle from at least a year onwards. it has worked very well with a few of my snappy little fellows and anything like my python satan who would fling himself at you sort of like a jump at your face. for him to be calm enough to have him out at the vet with no aggressive behaviour at all is results.

you will atleast need some good in focus pictures of the snakes head, and then all i can do is give you my opinion on the matter.

I guess alot of it also depends on the temprament of the species/sub species too, I got our M/D when he was 3 years old and he was a Psycho thing, previous owners wore welding gloves to handle him, he has struck at me but never connected, yet they have allot of scars from him. Out of the other 25 snakes I have they were all handled from about the 4th week by myself and my 2 sons and Most I would feel safe taking into a school classroom.

Kazzie, when I first got my jungle she bit me a fair bit. You said you hold yours for about 10min. I used to take mine out and keep her with me for much longer - sometimes hours. Then I would put her back in her enclosure, wait five minutes, and get her out again. Holding her for long periods of time got her used to it IMO.8)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back