Boyd's Handling Ability

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LaZeDragoN

Reaction score
I'm approaching my Class 2 Licence if not already eligible for it and I'm considering ending the addiction with a Boy'ds.. i've done several searches and nothing specific comes up..

I was just wondering how Boy'ds handle?

It's a toss up between a Boy'ds, Frilly, or monitor.

Or do all these three species not handle too well?

Any info from those with experience would be appreciated

Cheers

haha, ending the addiction, i'd like to see that working!! ;)

got no idea on handleability, but at a guess i'd think teh frilly would be the best of the 3 for handling, the boyds would be the most stressed and the monitor bites would hurt the most.

while i'd love all 3, tank sizes fro the monitor and frilly wouldnt work for me @ this point so personally i'd go with the boyds. (unless u have heaps of space)

although handling stuff is fun, watching stuff is fun too. :)

i love the boyds,...!!
they look amazing!!

From my limited experience with boydii, some handle okay, others don't. I have two that I don't often handle except when necessary. One of them is pretty good, the other is REALLY nervous and will fly around the enclosure trying to get away from you if it sees your hand coming.

I'm of the opinion that the former would handle beautifully if I was inclined to get it out on a regular basis, but I would doubt the other would tolerate it quite as well.

I have a couple of Boyds and while they tolerate handling and interaction i dont think they enjoy it (i dont think any reptile "enjoys" being handled for that matter), and i only handle when its necessary. Which isnt often. I would say that the Boyds are a look and dont touch kind of animal. As they are prone to sulking and can be moody its in their best interest that you adopt a "hands off" approach when keeping them.

Appreciate the response guys
Maybe none of them would suit handling wise
I might have to get another beardie lol I just wanted something bigger I guess or another python

Feel free to suggest away

I have a couple of Boyds and while they tolerate handling and interaction i dont think they enjoy it (i dont think any reptile "enjoys" being handled for that matter), and i only handle when its necessary. Which isnt often. I would say that the Boyds are a look and dont touch kind of animal. As they are prone to sulking and can be moody its in their best interest that you adopt a "hands off" approach when keeping them.

I agree... not meaning to be narky but If you want a pet to pat, maybe get a dog, reptiles aint for cuddling. Boyds are a shyish animal, and don't mind to be looked at, but don't "like" to be held.

If your looking for that one animal you plan on having for a long time, get yourself a Spencers.

Attachments

• Spencers.jpg
    Spencers.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 111
If your looking for that one animal you plan on having for a long time, get yourself a Spencers.

Now that's the shIIIT, I am definitely getting myself one of them when I get the room and can make a mad outdoor pit!
Is he yours Jason?

Definitely not for handling any more than is needed in a husbandry capacity.

No, he belongs to one of my mates, my 2 year old one is much smaller and less impressive atm, but it will get there!!!

Attachments

• ethan.jpg
    ethan.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 135
No, he belongs to one of my mates, my 2 year old one is much smaller and less impressive atm, but it will get there!!!

LOL...Are they placid like the impression I get from the pic?
Your a young guy Jason, pretty smart, I thought you'd be older..;)

What can I say.... Child Genius... Yes captive adults are very tame, young ones are stressy and tail whip, huff and puff, and try to deficate on you, though over a few years tend to calm down, even at the young stressy age, they arn't keen to bite. Their downside is their love of extreme heat, keep them in a oven, fan forced is better ;).

Thanks Jason Spencer's it is.. Do you know what time of year Hatchie's are available?

I agree... not meaning to be narky but If you want a pet to pat, maybe get a dog, reptiles aint for cuddling. Boyds are a shyish animal, and don't mind to be looked at, but don't "like" to be held.

Agreed Southside.. I have a dog lol.. That's a valid point
I think i'm gonna go to the old reliable Shingleback

Anyone know their breeding season?

Spencers come on the market from time to time, you just need to be vigilant, they are pretty cheap too, hatchies usually go for around $250 - $300ea, I really have no idea why so cheap compaired to other mons, they are worth more than that IMO. Shingles birth between Jan - March.

I think your better going a monitor, i have a few Boyds and while they handle ok they don't like being restrianed as such. Mine tend to run up your shoulder with the mouth open then climb around behind the back of your head.

Go the monitor - Spencers or Ridge Tails.

I dont have any experiance keeping Boyds or Monitors but I do have a couple of Frillys.
I think they are a fantastic lizard to keep.
Mine handle very well, infact one of them will come to me and jump on my hand when I open the enclosure, that may be because I tub feed and they have lernt that, before they get fed they have to be handled (transfer to tub).

Attachments

• Frilly 1.jpg
    Frilly 1.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 38
  • Frilly 3.jpg
    Frilly 3.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 50
  • fril enc 1.jpg
    fril enc 1.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 47
I dont have any experiance keeping Boyds or Monitors but I do have a couple of Frillys.
I think they are a fantastic lizard to keep.
Mine handle very well, infact one of them will come to me and jump on my hand when I open the enclosure, that may be because I tub feed and they have lernt that, before they get fed they have to be handled (transfer to tub).

Changed my mind again, I think i'm going frillies
Andyscott is it really possible to get them to handle that well??
I wanted something a little bigger then my Beardie and I recently had a water Dragon and it was psychotic.
I kinda want to be sure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back