cocroach breeding

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

m_beardie

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
hi all,
i was thinking of breeding cockroaches because buying crickets every 2 wks is getting annoying and expensive. I just have a few questions-

1. is a 2ft glass tank big enough?
2. can they climb up glass?
3. do they NEEd heating?
4. how many do i need to start off with?
5. are they ok for a 3 month old beardie?

any help will be appreciated :D

Mine thrive on neglect. If you get like 8 tubs and chuck them in ANYTHING they shoujld be fine. Feed them veggie scraps and they'll be sweet as. If it's just one 3 month old beardie, that should be enough to keep you going. Then again.... my beardy eats like a pig.... maybe go 16 tubs lol haha

so i have to get lots of different tubs?
is there anyway i can just breed them in one tank?

get a bulk lot of like 1000 adults they cost like $63 or something get the biggest click clack you can find or a big bin get some egg trays put them in the click clack put in the woodies and forget about them just feed (carrot will do) and give them water (a wet bit of foam will do) and they should breed like mad hope this helps

okk ill see what i can get... Where do i get them from?? and also i hate handling them.. i usually get used to it though.

Yes they can climb. You need vaseline or fluon around the top of your tub. They'll just drown if you give them water in a container - the carrot has enough moisture. They breed more if you keep them warm. Check out the Herp Shop for all the info. and stuff you need. you can buy the roaches in bulk there as well.
http://www.herptrader.com.au/

how long does it take for them to breed?

best thing..... get those big plastic tubs from and $2 shop.

drill lots of hole in the lid, or cut a big chunk out and put fly screen in.

fill it up with egg cartons

get a small bowl, fill it with bread and wet the bread, this hold moisture. the grainier the bread the better.

buy fluon from Herptrader.... it cost a bit but lasts for ever. u need this or u will have roaches every where.

buy about 1000 roaches of different ages.

now to avoid touching them.... i use a old chinese food container with fluon around the top, i put this container in the roach box then pick up the egg cartons. now they hide under the cartons so all u need to do it tap the cartons over the container an they fall in.

super easy.

in winter it helps to put a heat mat under so they breed, u dont need to monitor it, just whack a low wattage one under.

easy as and mine seen to last forever:)

good luck. i havent had to buy food for my ackies at all, i have 2 so u will be sweet

how long does it take for them to breed?

If you buy 55day old roaches they will be breeding in a couple of weeks. Just buy enough in the first place so that you don't use them all before the colony is established.

thanks everyone for your help! ill try and breed some asap :D

Do they climb up glass?
i reli need to know

I really recommend the fluon, easy to apply, can touch it later and doesn't leave itself on your woodies. I wouldn't feed my pets woodies with vaso on them.

I use the cardboard fruit shops have fruit on, in an alternative up, down pattern and this can get far more woodies in than egg cartons, have about 3/4 of tub with cardboard and have a food container and water using a wick type system that they can't get into, they will drown.

use good food because this is what your beardy will eat dog pellets are good, give some veges now and then (nothing toxic though) and they breed better than rabbits.

Buy in bulk, not tubs.

why dont you just breed woodies they like cocroachs but they dont have germs and they breed like rabbit

whats the difference??
do they look different?

do i need any special substrate or anything?
any help would be appreciated :D
appart from all the help i have already gotten

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back