Baby Water Skinks

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

book

Reaction score
These are my first reptile babies :D ( since I bought the parents as babies )
Golden / Eastern Water Skink - Eulamprus quoyii
66 days from mating which was sooner than I expected. They are live bearers so the first you know of the birth is a bunch of new lizards running around with the adults.
I had to finish off an enclosure in a hurry to relocate my other adult to its new home, leaving its smaller tank free for the 5 new additions.

Attachments

• one_baby_and_adult.jpg
    one_baby_and_adult.jpg
    265.8 KB · Views: 257
  • adult_and_two_babies.jpg
    adult_and_two_babies.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 248
  • baby-eating_crickets.jpg
    baby-eating_crickets.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 301
re Baby

Good work book,great little critters you have there!

That's so brilliant! Water Skinks are some of the most enjoyable reptiles to have :) Very underrated! Congratulations! Well done! :D :D :D

Nice. Are they able to be handled often with out chasing them in the tank or them trying to run out of your hand ?

Hey they look great, any chance you have some more photos, even of your enclosure? I'd love to get hold of some of those in the near future.

Guf

That's so brilliant! Water Skinks are some of the most enjoyable reptiles to have :) Very underrated! Congratulations! Well done! :D :D :D

Very true! Despite the fact that you cant really handle them, they are defiantly my favorite to watch. I have a few that might be popping out bubs soon.

Congrats on the offspring!

Very true! Despite the fact that you cant really handle them, they are defiantly my favorite to watch. I have a few that might be popping out bubs soon.

Congrats on the offspring!

Handling is overrated. Water Skinks can be kept in a beautiful enclosure with plants, wood, water, etc, and they're so active and inquisitive. They make a brilliant display :) Very entertaining. I haven't kept them for quite a while now, but I miss them and would love some more. Unfortunately they're too high maintenance for my current taste :( Maybe again one day :)

awesome iv always wanted eastern water skinks what are they like to handle

If you want something you can handle, get a rat, dog or girlfriend ;) If you must handle a reptile, get a Beardy or Bluey. Small skinks aren't too different from fish when it comes to handling.

Thanks for all the comments everyone.
I love watching these lizards and have some fairly elaborate display tanks set up for them.
Unlike most skinks which keep flat to the ground, they hold their head up and watch everything in the room and communicate with each other with head bobbing.
Repz , Lonewolf -
They are not a good lizard if you want something to handle. Once you catch them they are fairly calm about being held and with a smaller enclosure and more frequent handling they might take to it but with my set ups they have plenty of places to hide so when I need to get them out I generally have to pull every hide out and half the substrate .
Notorious_Guf -
Some of my tanks are in an album in my profile but I will post a few more pics soon. There are a few people in NSW who keep them but they don't seem to be that common in captivity so you don't see them for sale very often.

I agree completely!

Handling is overrated. :)
I'll have to use that line -- it's perfect !
I understand the urge to handle some animals, I have cats and parrots that want interaction and like to play. But when hot snakes (vens) are mentioned, or scorpions, I don't get why people question keeping them since you can't handle them. Can't you just watch them and enjoy that? I like grilling steak outside, but I'm not tempted to handle the burning coals!

Thanks for all the comments everyone.
I love watching these lizards and have some fairly elaborate display tanks set up for them.
Unlike most skinks which keep flat to the ground, they hold their head up and watch everything in the room and communicate with each other with head bobbing.
Repz , Lonewolf -
They are not a good lizard if you want something to handle. Once you catch them they are fairly calm about being held and with a smaller enclosure and more frequent handling they might take to it but with my set ups they have plenty of places to hide so when I need to get them out I generally have to pull every hide out and half the substrate .
Notorious_Guf -
Some of my tanks are in an album in my profile but I will post a few more pics soon. There are a few people in NSW who keep them but they don't seem to be that common in captivity so you don't see them for sale very often.

Thanks Book, I haven't seen anyone advertise these in NSW yet, I'd be curious to know who does have them and who is breeding them here, what a shame you're not in NSW.

Congrats Book! those little babies are just gorgeous! You must be stoked :D
Just out of curiosity, are most skinks livebearers? Would this include sandswimmers? Excuse my ignorance, I'm fairly new to skinks!!

awsome stuff! i love water skinks they are so cool! take some pics of your enclosure:D looks sweet!

my god. eventually someone who says they have bred these actually knows they are live bearers. how many people have i spoken to that have sold their young but have more eggs in the incubator!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back