Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smacdonald

Reaction score
We left Charters Towers and headed back to the coast and up to Tully. We arrive mid-afternoon, and went for a short walk to see what we could see. Down by the river I saw a little head peeking out of a hole in a tree stump. I waited patiently for the body to emerge.

Saproscincus sp. Probably Saproscincus basiliscus.

Saproscincus sp. Probably Saproscincus basiliscus.

Running around on the ground were numerous Carlia rubrigularis. Along the boulder-lined waterway we saw a couple of eastern water skinks (Eulamprus quoyii), but I didn't manage to get any pics of them. A large rustle alerted us to a major skink taking cover under a rock. Major skinks are the bane of my existence. They're so alert and wary, getting close enough to photograph one has been impossible for me, despite the fact that I've seen them at a number of places. This individual was no exception, and I only managed to get a dody pic.

Major skink (Egernia frerei).

Carlia rubrigularis.

We drove up to the top of the falls and, while waiting for dusk, went for a walk down to the river. We saw nothing except the ubiquitous Carlia rubrigularis, so we started heading back up towards the car. As we were walking along, a slaty-grey snake came crashing down an embankment and stopped at our feet. Like a typical slaty-grey, he didn't stop for long and was soon invisible as he made his way through the dense undergrowth.

Slaty-grey snake (Stegonotus cucullatus).

We got back up to the car and started to drive back down towards the camp site. Along the way we saw a number of reptiles and frogs off to the side of the road.

Brown tree snake (Boiga irregularis).

Pink-tongued skink (Cyclodomorphus gerrardii).

Stoney-creek frog (Litoria lesueurii). Or Litoria jungguy if you like.

Australian lace-lid (Nyctimystes dayi).

Tarantula.

The next morning we packed up and drove out, finally managing to see the one species we had hoped to encounter at this location - a scrub python (Morelia kinghorni).

Roadkilled scrub python (Morelia kinghorni).

Next stop, the Atherton Tablelands.

nice shots stewart, that pink tongue has a weird head, widest one I have seen, all the ones I have seen have narrow heads (have all been captive, I used to own a few) cant wait for the next part, I have read your blog a few times, sounded like you were very successful when you went to kakadu. anyone, nice pics. thanks

re Day

Good work stewart,harder than it looks hey,those major skinks can take off quick :)

Nice photos Stuart, did you get the Nyctimystes on the road?

Aaron

Hi Erin,

Yep, and then he bounced off into the grass, where I took that pic. I would have liked to have taken some pics that showed his funky eye features, but alas he wasn't very cooperative.

Stuart

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back