Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Some of you have clearly stated that you condone the keeping of exotic reptiles, I wonder if you condone the aquisition of exotic reptiles as well? Is it ok to breed exotics? Is it ok to import exotics? Is it ok to illegally capture exotics? Is it ok to smuggle these exotics into the country in inhumane conditions? And is it ok to buy these exotics on the black market?

If all of that is ok, then isn't it also ok by this standard to illegally capture natives? Export natives illegally? Smuggle them out of the country in inhume conditions? And then sell them on the ever present black market? Not an unreasonble comparison..... I dont think I would turn a blind eye to any of it.

re Boas

I beleive we know squat about all these diseases / virus's, be it a frog or snake...and all the rest is just here/say. Exotic reptiles have been bought into the country for various reasons for the last 100 plus years.
Yes,its a worry though,just a load of crap this quarantine,a man could handle all the reptiles in a collection and be ****e on then go to a paddock pat and kiss a horse,make wooppee with an HIV positive person then get on a plane and hours later walk off at the airport and start again.

Not just Guam......what about whats happening with introduced pythons in the Florida everglades.....and yes they result from unwanted or escaped pets!!

re Boas

Yeh we could end up with deseased red tails breeding out of control in the dandennong everglades,god forbid the DSE would have to call on their secret weapon,skippy the bush kangaroo to jump up and down on them.

Some of you have clearly stated that you condone the keeping of exotic reptiles, I wonder if you condone the aquisition of exotic reptiles as well? Is it ok to breed exotics? Is it ok to import exotics? Is it ok to illegally capture exotics? Is it ok to smuggle these exotics into the country in inhumane conditions? And is it ok to buy these exotics on the black market?

If all of that is ok, then isn't it also ok by this standard to illegally capture natives? Export natives illegally? Smuggle them out of the country in inhume conditions? And then sell them on the ever present black market? Not an unreasonble comparison..... I dont think I would turn a blind eye to any of it.

It's not 'ok' to do any of the things you listed. They are illegal.

I'm trying to argue that the current system hasn't worked. Isn't working. It failed. It's failing.

All I'm seeing so far is knee-jerk nonsense.

If exotics in this country will completely destroy our native wildlife, then we'd better start doing something because, as already clearly stated over and over again, they are already here. This is not an "If they are allowed into Australia" issue.

Does anyone else have any ideas on what could feasably be done to lower disease risks and at least slow smuggling if not stop it?. I know full well it's "evil", "terrible" etc. etc. etc. I'm interested to hear something a little more progressive, not just adjectives :)

You will never stop it, but if the courts actually got serious with the punishments it might make some people think twice.

You will never stop it, but if the courts actually got serious with the punishments it might make some people think twice.

That's an interesting point. It seems to me that outside the herping world, keeping illegal exotics isn't taken very seriously. And outside animal welfare interests it's barely seen as a crime at all.
I'm not a native to this country so perhaps I'm missing something cultural that would perpetuate these sorts of attitudes. The courts don't seem to even take much of a stand on the scum that import the poor creatures. I really do wonder why there's such a relaxed attitude to it.

Edit: On the subject of Guam- Australia is not a tiny isolated island with no native snakes of it's own. Guam itsself already contained 8 foreign introduced bird species before BTS got there. Those 8 exotic bird species had managed to intergrate themselves without too much trouble. Of course it doesn't downgrade the damage BTS has done to Guam, but the circumstances are wildly different. An introduced species has no garuntee of survival, let alone feral potential, but again, I ask for some ideas if folk have them, on either regulating, banning or monitoring exotics in Australia :)

Last edited:
Why even bother with punctuation when you clearly can't spell? You must have been one of the "cool kids" in school who has since dropped out and is a trainee burger flipper, or electrician. I'm sure of it. Perhaps you shoudl've learnt how to read and write, maybe then you'd be able to read up about how these exotics carry disease, rather then needing someone to explain it to you in laymen terms.

This is off topic but dont knock sparkies mate, heating your precious enclosures would be tough without us...;)

We cant all do brain surgery or build rockets for nasa like yourself...lol

i think everyone needs to chill the ******* out ! seriosuly. and as for the electrician comment i am a sparky and i can tell you now its not that simple and deffinently shouldnt be compared to flipping burgers and you can make a fortune doing it.

another exellent example junglepython2,another classic example is florida in the u sa,they have established populations of exotics from all over the world there,guam has brown tree snakes that have decimated there bird life,even if u licenced the exotics here already,more would be smuggled in during the amnesty,and even after it,how many gtp,s are still being smuggled into australia

here we go!! what the **** is wrong with cooking for a living?:lol:

But in all seriousness I agree with the "It's illegal" side of this argument... the law is the law when it comes to exotic animals - no grey areas!!!! The reasons behind the law may be flawed in some people's veiw but that doesn't give them the right to break said law - END OF STORY!!!!

um the idea to curb exotics was making the keeping of them illegal,ways to stop it further would be higher penalties for illegal possession and even higher for sellers,oh and DOBBING,lol

at the end of the day no matter what strategy is put in place its going to be a failure,as with everything theres 2 sides,and they will never meet on common grounds,i couldnt care less bout keeping an exotic,even if it was legalised,i have to many aussie species on my wish list as it is

She would have been aware that what she was doing was illegal.

So she was caught, too bad, so sad you do the wrong thing you pay for it.
She also would most likely have known that if she were caught the animals would be euthanised. She still chose to do it. Cant be that much of an animal lover.:rolleyes:

Anyone know where this happened? A friend told me it was Carrum and that she wondered if it was mine (since i am the only person she knows who owns a snake and lives in Carrum Downs)

our native wildlife is something i care for greatly,
sure these exotics are beautiful animals, and if they werelegal, then i would own quite a few exotics,
but the point is the are NOT LEGAL,
i am glad keepers of them are getting busted,
i am glad people trading in native species illegaly are geting busted.
AND I HOPE MORE OF THEM GET BUSTED.

Feel sorry for a few gtp keepers then............:lol::lol:

Feel sorry for a few gtp keepers then............:lol::lol:
oh, they are in so much trouble... lol

i'm by no means a goodie goodie, anyone who knows my driving history can attest to that.
and i'm not a dobber either, usually.
but if you do something illegal, you know the risk you are taking, and the penalty that getting cought has.
knowing that you could get cought or dobbed in, doesn't matter that illegal activity you are doing.

If i found someone breeding exotics, i'd happily hand them over to the relevant authority.

i have told friends who planned on getting an exotic that as a friend i would not allow them to.
the risk was not worth it.
and now they are licenced keepers of native animals. and couldn't be happier....

as for colin, mayhem and the rest of you who jumped on the band wagon...
issues like this, and hybrids, i will never back down on.
and you will never be right,
for once, even the law will back me on this one

personaly, i'd like to see them all eradicated from this country except for zoo's and other legally approved, and responsible collections.

Last edited:
i'm by no means a goodie goodie, anyone who knows my driving history can attest to that.
and i'm not a dobber either, usually.
but if you do something illegal, you know the risk you are taking, and the penalty that getting cought has.
knowing that you could get cought or dobbed in, doesn't matter that illegal activity you are doing.

If i found someone breeding exotics, i'd happily hand them over to the relevant authority.

i have told friends who planned on getting an exotic that as a friend i would not allow them to.
the risk was not worth it.
and now they are licenced keepers of native animals. and couldn't be happier....

as for colin, mayhem and the rest of you who jumped on the band wagon...
issues like this, and hybrids, i will never back down on.
and you will never be right,
for once, even the law will back me on this one

hearthatworl128620422483964303.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back