Turtle Pregnant

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rolling-thunder

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I am just wondering if you can get a turtle pregnant.

If i have a female turtle, but not a male, are there things like a sperm bank you could get for a turtle? Or is there another way?

From what age can they get pregnant?

I just would like to get hatchlings because you get a lot of money out of them.

well if you do the math, if you get around 30 hatchlings, sell them for $65 that equals $1950, and i am only 13 turning 14 this year so thats a crap load of money to me.

And as well you can get more that 30, you can get nearly up to 40 that would be $2600

I sincerely hope this post has something to do with todays date

can anyone just tell me that if i have one female turtle, can i get it pregnant?
and when can they get pregnant (how old?)?

I know nothing about turtles but as one would assume you would need a male to impregnant the female. I havent heard about a 'spermbank' for turtles or any other reptiles....

Who knows whether this is an April Fools or not but here we go:

- It is very very very hard to breed turtles in an aquarium. Hard to get an laying box in there without lowering the water level way to much. It is also extremely hard to cycle them, as in lowering temperatures, daylight levels etc.

So taking the above point into consideration you should have an outside pit for your turtles. Do you have the initial money to outlay for this?

- You need to buy all sorts of heating elements for the incubator. Heatcords, fans, themostats etc.

- It takes effort and time raising the babies. Do you have a fishtank to raise them in that is equipped with a heat light and UV light? It has to be big enough to raise whatever number of babies there is!

- Most turtles breed @ 4 years or so of age. They can breed younger and some need to be older but 4 years is what I've found. Can anyone with more experiance back this up or give a correct answer please?

Yeah... This post is all wrong hey... :shock:
The fact that you're asking if there is 'a sperm bank' for turtles indicates that you have nowhere near the experience or knowledge required to actually breed turtles... or any reptiles.
Money should never be the sole factor in deciding to breed your animals either. Yes it's a great reward for all of your efforts, but the wellbeing of the animals (or any young they produce) should not be compromised for a few quick bucks.
If you were doing it just for money, there are plenty of species that are far easier to care for, and have much higher financial gain than turtles... but again, you shouldn't purchase animals simply to breed them... You need to have a respect for their species, and actually want to keep them.;)

Well... depending on what species you are trying to breed will determine if it is feasable to even make money. Murray river turtles are so common I would find it hard to believe you could sell them at $65 each. You will have too many competitors.

As already said, you need both a male and a female to make babies... lol. Turtles don't become sexually active at a certain age like humans do, they need to be a particular size. The more you feed it and faster it grows the sooner it can breed. But saying that if it has a fast growth rate it won't be as healthy as a turtle that has grown at a normal rate.

Breeding turtles is a very rewarding experience. I would try and keep it o that...an experience and not a financial endevour.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back