Haindling vens

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

how old should you be to hold a ven???

• 7-9

Votes: 9 10.0%
  • 10-13

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • 13-15

Votes: 12 13.3%
  • 15-17

Votes: 65 72.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

wizz

Reaction score
just a quick poll ......how old do you think it should be.....with a experienced ven keeper by there side....

7-9 years old
10-13
13-15
15-17

15-17 - Definately not younger, I'd even say 17-18 minimum - basically due to the size of their (a young person of that age) body and the developments going on there at that age that could be long term affected by the side effects of venom.

Also the bravado and testosterone going round most boys at that age might fail to FULLY take into account the seriousness of what they're doing.

I mean, no one wouldnt take it seriously, but I tell you, when I thought I was being seriouse about things at age 17, I look back now and realise I am lucky to be alive actually hahaha

I agree with Mayhem, though my reasoning is slightly different (but along the same lines)...

Basically, I feel that someone needs to be able to make an informed decision before they make the choice to hold or come into direct contact with an animal that can kill them and I honestly do not believe that children have the ability to fully comprehend such a decision...

15-17 only because you are starting to get more mature and wiser at that age even though some of the younger groups, alot of them can be quite mature for their age, just to me shouldn't be handling vens.

thats just my opinion

High school age, if they are taught safe techniques in a responsible way is fine. It would be hypocritical of me to say otherwise...

However, getting a 7 year old to free handle snakes, regardless of the snakes nature or the owners experience, is neither safe nor responsible.

Mate.. unless the kid has been brought up like bindi (steve irwins daughter) i rekon 18+

How long is a piece of string? These things are not cut and dry my friends, a lot of factors need to be considered. Does this young person have the respect required to deal with the issue, and the guidence or direction to ensure that their personal safety is the first priority? I have seen kids as young as 12 with more mental and physical maturity than 17-18 year old kids.

In any situation you as the older or more experienced person will know if the situation is safe enough, providing you have valued experience.

I feel this pole relates to a pic I saw earlier this week about a young kid with a RBB, obviously there was a certain amount of risk associated with this situation but if we can all assess these risks prior and act accordingly everything will generally be sweet!

regardless of the snakes nature or the owners experience, is neither safe nor responsible.[/QUOTE]Agreed.......just putting it out there...

I'd say 18 minimum.... If you got bitten and died, imagine what mummy and daddy would do... They'd be sueing that keeper for everything he's got!

regardless of the snakes nature or the owners experience, is neither safe nor responsible.
Agreed.......just putting it out there..we still put kids in cars and we all no the risk.[/QUOTE]

Agreed.......just putting it out there..we still put kids in cars and we all no the risk.
[/QUOTE]

Mmm I think there is a bit of a difference between cars and elapids... Cars are a means of transport... Handling elapids is sort of just to show how wild you are! LOL :D

I really don't believe it is an age issue i think it's more maturity around elapid's, i act like a total tool sometimes but when facing elapids its no mucking around with them..

so if you have! to do it (transport) .....it,s ok then..............and i am not just free handling hook and tail

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back