snake id manuals and identify this snake help

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sambino

Not so new Member
Reaction score
i am looking for a comprehensive snake id book plus a feild book and perhaps a internet resource i live in brisbane so i want to identify snakes from the south east QLD region mainly around brisbane for now but dont mind if the books etc contain other snakes/areas

also can anyone help to identify this snake i found on the weekend tramping at beerwah there were two of them one accidentally was stood on i notice it has a particularly pointed head the strips down its length , they were approx 20 - 30 cm
please tell me how you identify this snake too thanks very much

Last edited:
According to my book that is a Burtons Legless Lizard Lialis burtonis. They are found virtually right across Australia except for Victoria, Tassie and very bottom end of WA.

I have a "dictonary" of most species you would find across Australia. An ID book and carry it with me on every wildlife hunt so that I can hopefully accurately identify the animals I am catching. The book is called A Complete Guide to Reptiles of Australia by Steve Wilson and Gerry Swan

Last edited:
theres always field guide's in newsagencys.... if that helps..

thanks

hey very fast replys which is very cool
i did have an inkling it may be a legless lizard, but how do you tell? anything to do with the head?
i also just noticed the funny lump things on its head if thats what your talking about and im not sure what it is. this is my very first identification attempt
do these bite?
what are skin worms???

G'day sambino,

Queensland Museum publish a pocket book called Snakes of South East Queensland. It is designed for the general public to help them identify all of the snakes around here. If you'd like to purchase one ($12.50 inc. postage), send me an email at [email protected]

Cheers

hey very fast replys which is very cool
i did have an inkling it may be a legless lizard, but how do you tell? anything to do with the head?
i also just noticed the funny lump things on its head if thats what your talking about and im not sure what it is. this is my very first identification attempt
do these bite?
what are skin worms???
definetly the head shape, also ear holes.
Skin worms are a parasite living just under the skin of reptiles...usually on some wild herps or captive herps fed wild lizards and frogs(their hosts).

A good book which is sounding what your looking for is : A field guide to reptiles of queesland by steve wilson. A very good book.

If these guys bite you they wont do any bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back