Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We had a chat with NPWS at the expo and they never mentioned anything.

The only thing as keepers we have to be worried of is minimum size enclosures eg 4ftx2fx2ft for each stimson's and this is going to be legally inforced.

Monitors would just be a screw up by the npws by not putting them on.

Yes i tend to think this is just a sweetener for the new legislation they are bringing out on housing requirements, plus sales in pet shops is probably not too far off either.

a little OT, but are there any draft proposals in print regarding the new enclosure sizes? i wouldnt mind having a read

Checked with DECC (NPWS) today and now shows on their website.

Womas are now available for Class R1 licenses in NSW.

(In my opinion) Excellent pythons with great temperment, much easier to care for than most other pythons and should have been Class 1 years ago.

Rob

I agree.....much more interesting, calmer, and funny at times than morelia...;)
Much better for a first snake I think, size and temperament wise.....hopefully I should have a first clutch this season....great timing DECC...:)

Kelly

There are several people involved in the discussions with npws, im not going to name them here. No information has been released from npws themselves.

There are several people involved in the discussions with npws, im not going to name them here. No information has been released from npws themselves.

I wouldnt jump to conclusions just yet either....
It could all still be a typo.....I hope not though.

Why doesnt someone give them a call? Before 12.00pm though.

Can I ask why Woma's were ever a class 2 animal?

Woma's were put on class 2 because they were rare in captivity and in the wild.

I wouldnt jump to conclusions just yet either....
It could all still be a typo.....I hope not though.

Why doesnt someone give them a call? Before 12.00pm though.

It's not a typo, but the new enclosure sizes are in discussions now.

Just spoke to the ladies on the phone and theyre as confused as we are. Going in to see them this afternoon so will seek further clarification.

QUOTE]

Not my understanding. I've been led to believe that there were a variety of reasons for class two classification. In the case of womas was because they are considered a threatened species in NSW. It's a bit idiotic though as it kind of indicates that becasuse they are threatened in the wild in NSW this classification will somehow protect them. Even more idiotic when most of those in captivity are forms found in other states. Anyway it's all sort now

the size requiurments is a large issue that we ALL need to be conserened about!

on a side note i love the first page with all the animal pictures... even more so i love that they have chosen a jag to put on there...haha

on a side note i love the first page with all the animal pictures... even more so i love that they have chosen a jag to put on there...haha
LOLOLOLOL :D
I didn't notice that!

I suggest they replace that with a Chameleon, or perhaps a rattlesnake.

QUOTE]

Not my understanding. I've been led to believe that there were a variety of reasons for class two classification. In the case of womas was because they are considered a threatened species in NSW. It's a bit idiotic though as it kind of indicates that becasuse they are threatened in the wild in NSW this classification will somehow protect them. Even more idiotic when most of those in captivity are forms found in other states. Anyway it's all sort now

There are a variety of reasons, but main one for Woma's are as above, which also includes what your saying by rarety in the wild.

LOLOLOLOL :D
I didn't notice that!

I suggest they replace that with a Chameleon, or perhaps a rattlesnake.

some star tortises,chameleons, boas and corns would color up the page a bit. does that make jags legit now...

those with jags you can come out of the closit now and show them off... i want one :)

those with jags you can come out of the closit now and show them off... i want one :)

Thay haven't already? I coulda sworn I saw some at the expo..

:lol:

I would think that npws will discuss this with leading herp keepers and people who are experts on reptile keeping in captivity.
Looks like they have draft proposal from some animal liberating organisation.
In my opinion, npws will look at this proposal and make up they mind after proper consultation.

Just got back from Ballot collection. Species list is being removed for review. Womas are 100% Class 1 though. List was released before they could organise a media release.

I'm a bit concerned, they took the list of animals down....... will they change the woma back to class 2?? if so i'm in the ****e cos i've already bought one lol!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back