Anyone keep/breed White Lipped Pythons?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sock Puppet

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone keeps or breeds White Lipped Pythons (Leiopython Albertisii) ?

They're currently listed on the 2009 DECC (NSW) Native Animal Keepers Species List (page 26, Code 2617, Class R2)
http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/resources/nature/CurrentSpeciesList.pdf

I know they're pretty rare in Aus. Actually I believe they don't occur on the mainland, just some Torres Strait islands? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I haven't seen any on the usual sites (APS, Herp Trader etc) so was just wondering if there were any kept in private collections.

If anyone were breeding them, how much would a hatchie go for?

If anyone has one/some, would love to see pics!

G'day Tonksy,

The story is that there are two males left with a keeper in NSW. There was also a pair bought a long time ago from a wildlife park by two private keepers in SA, but they both died before they could be bred. So basically, no White Lipped Pythons for us.

G'day Tonksy,

The story is that there are two males left with a keeper in NSW. There was also a pair bought a long time ago from a wildlife park by two private keepers in SA, but they both died before they could be bred. So basically, no White Lipped Pythons for us.

Two males eh? Don't think there'll be too many hatchies coming out of that pair then.....
Oh well, was just a speculator question, they're an amazing looking snake, just never saw them advertised.

Thanks for the replies Whitey & Jonno

That one getarealdog is amazing,defiantly alot different to the pictures ive seen.The majority are darker in colour,i wish there was some around,as i think they are awesome.Its ashame that their is 2 males,and not a pair,if their was any for sale,what price tag would they be at,i could imagine that they would sell for a nice amount.

what is their scientific name. It's the first I've ever heard or seen of them. are they a liasis?

Price would depend on how much people want to pay! If rare and good looking an auction might give the best indication of price. Without possible mates, price would not be as high because no breeding potential.

That one getarealdog is amazing,defiantly alot different to the pictures ive seen.The majority are darker in colour,i wish there was some around,as i think they are awesome.Its ashame that their is 2 males,and not a pair,if their was any for sale,what price tag would they be at,i could imagine that they would sell for a nice amount.

I've read there are two colour phases, a dark one & a golden one, I've only ever seen pics of the goldens. Nice pic btw

what is their scientific name. It's the first I've ever heard or seen of them. are they a liasis?

Check my opening post on this thread for scientific name, it's Leiopython Albertisii.

Cheers all, thanks for the replies.

Would love to see some dark phase WLPs if anyone has pics!

Ive only seen the dark version,those lighter phase are stunning.

Found a pic of a darker one, cool! Still prefer the golden though

They're very stunning pythons, it's a shame they won't be avaible for us unless somthing dodgy is going on (which allways is;)) I'd love to see them avalible one day, who evers got the males is a very lucky person even though they' can't breed them.

Gee Whiz they are beautiful snakes, wish i could get a hold of a pair and start breeding them.

Do they occur elsewhere?

They're very stunning pythons, it's a shame they won't be avaible for us unless somthing dodgy is going on (which allways is;)) I'd love to see them avalible one day, who evers got the males is a very lucky person even though they' can't breed them.

Hopefully one of them was sexed wrong ;);):D

They aren't super uncommon overseas, meant to be nice and bitey.

Someone in the NSW amnesty did declare between 6 and 8 animals. I've ne idea what happened to them.
Taronga did have 4 of each colour phase 20 years ago, they are both spectacular looking animals.
It's one I've also been curious about, so good thread Tonksy. Lets hope that someone out there does still have more than what's been reported here.

There was only ever 2 on the species list in 2006 in NSW (both males as already stated)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back