Anyone keep/breed White Lipped Pythons?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do they occur elsewhere?

where abouts in Aus are they?

As far as I know, they only occur on some islands in the Torres Strait in the Australian geographical range, but also in PNG (maybe Indonesia?). Would need someone a lot more knowlegable than myself to confirm this though.

They aren't super uncommon overseas, meant to be nice and bitey.

Yeah I was reading some older threads (probably should have done this pre-post rather than post-post eh?) & some keepers from overseas mentioned WLPs were a bit agro. But then again, how many threads do you read here of waters, olives, jungles etc being mental also? I'd put up with it if I could have one!

White Lip

This would be a dark one yeah

Attachments

• White Lip-female (2).jpg
    White Lip-female (2).jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 354
never even heard of them before. anyone have any further info on them? are they still found in the wild?

and yes i will be on google in a minute. I don't recall seeing them in any of my books.

Leiopython went through a species revision the black ones are from Southern PNG and NOT Australia or its Territories, the specimens from the Torres Strait islands are regarded as errors in local data.

The Southern ones are Leiopython hoserae and the Northern PNG ones (Gold) are albertisi, they a geographically spilt by the Owen Stanley range in PNG.

The the southerns were kept at Melbourne Zoo until the 90's and were at one stage kept at Joe Bredl's park in SA .

Cheers,
Scott

I would hazard a guess that the one in Getarealdogs pic is overseas. The particleboard in the background isn't marketed here so not readily available. Like the snake.

Leiopython went through a species revision the black ones are from Southern PNG and NOT Australia or its Territories, the specimens from the Torres Strait islands are regarded as errors in local data.

The Southern ones are Leiopython hoserae and the Northern PNG ones (Gold) are albertisi, they a geographically spilt by the Owen Stanley range in PNG.

The the southerns were kept at Melbourne Zoo until the 90's and were at one stage kept at Joe Bredl's park in SA .

Cheers,
Scott

Thanks for that Eipper, in addition, here's a quote from Wikipedia regarding their range

Geographic range
Found in most of New Guinea (below 1200 m), including the islands of Salawati and Biak, Normanby, Mussau and Emirau, as well as a few islands in the Torres Strait.
Some doubt can be cast on its occurrence on Normanby, as McDowell (1975) had erroneously assigned Bara Bara to this Island, rather than to the mainland of Papua New Guinea in Milne Bay Province as stated by Boulenger (1890 and Koopman (1982).

I am in the states and have a golden phase (northern animal) and once out of its cage it is a sweetheart, getting it out can be scary. Also they have an incredible feed response and are particularly unhappy in shed. The black phase (southern) would be the one that may be from the Ozzy islands but from all reports that was an error. But if it is on the books, run with it folks, ;). The southerns are said to be more difficult to breed, extremly irradesent, and much calmer overall. Both phases have a bad rep as being snappy but since 90% are wild caught imports I put very little stock in that. A captive animal will grow up calm having never been put through the hell that is the import process. I have CB Amazon Tree Boas that are easy to handle and never even hint at biting and they have the same rep as the WLP.

These snakes(WLP) are very different in that they do something very few other snakes do, they spit up hair balls...:shock::shock::shock:

It is more than a little scary to see what looks like a regurge in your snakes enclosure every couple weeks. The golden phase is all I have experience with but one other thing is they will change color at night. They go from gold on the side and black on the back to bright gold on the side and gold on the back, very brillant. I can also tell you that they do not like the flash of a camera. :shock::shock: HAHAHAHAA:lol::lol::lol:

Jason

There was only ever 2 on the species list in 2006 in NSW (both males as already stated)

how do you know they are both males? seems like folk are causing undue hardship for the bloke who owns them because of this sort of rumour mongering.

do you say they are two males because you know they are, or more likely, just a narc, who just wants them to be so somebody else can't have any success with them.

is this just so that if they are ever bred, you can accuse him of being a smuggler because you have already established that he didn't have a female through your rumours.

give him/her a break and stop the rubbish.

ps. if the owner has already told everybody that they are both males, then my mistake and i'm sorry!

The golden phase is all I have experience with but one other thing is they will change color at night. They go from gold on the side and black on the back to bright gold on the side and gold on the back, very brillant. I can also tell you that they do not like the flash of a camera.

Oh man........you gotta send us WLP starved Aussies some pics (maybe use a tripod & no flash? ;)). Would love to see pics of the boa too! (but mainly the white lipped!)

White Lips

No not mine that would make them illegal lol! I'll have to say they are from a collection overseas.

Wlp

WLPs are amazing snakes. I have kept the gold (northern) ones and I currently keep the Black (southern possibly in OZ Territory) phase. The blacks and the Golds are now seperate species as well. My blacks are very easy handling. Here is a pic of my females head. I wish you Aussie keepers had these available to work with. If you like Fuscus you would love these guys.

Ryan Young

DSC06687.jpg

Great picture Ryan,also Jason-Hood could you post a few pictures of yours,cheers.

WLPs are amazing snakes. Here is a pic of my females head. I wish you Aussie keepers had these available to work with. If you like Fuscus you would love these guys.

Thanks Ryan Y, that is one beautiful animal you have there, love that rainbow sheen on her head.

ATB's

PC156718.jpg

PC146683.jpg

PC156704.jpg

I will have to get in and get some pics of the WLP. The pics above are all from one clutch.

Jason

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back