How to get Albino pythons

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tetras

Reaction score
Hey everyone.
Curious on how albino pythons come about?
Is it possible to intentionally breed an albino?
Or is it just mainly pot luck that they miss the pigmentation...

Cheers

Hey everyone.
Curious on how albino pythons come about?
Is it possible to intentionally breed an albino?
Or is it just mainly pot luck that they miss the pigmentation...

Cheers
Most come from wild caught animals, others can be fluke breedings; i.e parents are unknown hets
Yes, bred albino x albino:p:lol:

im not 100% sure, but i think it depends in the pigment genes of each of the snakes parents, and if your snake/s have the gene, then it is possible to get an albino hachie..... as i said, im not 100%, plese correct me if I'm wrong :)

ah okay thanks for the replies.
I really like the look of albino's, just dont have the moneys to buy one unfortunatly

Hi mate, albinism is a hypopygmentary disorder that is a genetic trait and requires to be genetically inherited from the parents. It is a recessive gene, so both parents must carry it for the offspring to be albino. Becasue it is recessive a parent can carry the gene and not be albino, it is called a het.
Depending on weather you breed 2 hets together, or a het and albino will dictate how many of the babies are albino or het.

There is alot more to it than that... but thats the basics. The chance of breeding two random animals together and getting an albino is extremely rare, probably like being hit by lightning

Last edited:
wow, thanks craig.
Ill start my search for a couple of hets, as they look like they might be cheaper than a pure albino

Het females are generally about 40% of the price of an albino female. Het males are normally about 20% of the price of albino males. Male albinos are normally dearer than females as you can mate them with more than one female.
Olives this year achieved $3000 for male hets; $4000 for female hets; $10,000 for female albinos; $15,000 for male albinos.
For Carpets male hets $1000; female hets $1500.; Male Albinos $5000; Female albinos $4000.

wow, thanks craig.
Ill start my search for a couple of hets, as they look like they might be cheaper than a pure albino

If you're a gamblin' man, there is always the option of getting "possible hets" (from a het x het mating???) which are cheaper still!

I thought the gene skips a generation with Albino snakes, so the parent's hatch lings wont be albino but their hatch lings will be. Guess i was wrong lol, but indeed, beautiful snakes.

Is that how it works for all creatures? My frogs recently bred white tadpoles (not sure if they're albino though, havn't morphed yet) and i dont think theres any history of it in their other sibling, parents etc.

as said previously, a heterozygous gene must be carried by both parents to guarantee albino hatchlings. the produced offspring can be represented as followed:
normal = B (dominant gene)
albino = b (recessive gene)

eg.

1.BB x BB (normal x normal)
= BB, BB, BB, BB (100% chance of normal)

2. BB x Bb (normal x normal - one carrying recessive gene)
= BB, Bb, BB, Bb (100% chance normal)

3. Bb x Bb (normal x normal - both carrying recessive gene)
= BB, Bb, Bb, bb (75% chance normal, 25% chance albino)

4. bb x Bb (albino x normal)
= Bb, bb, Bb, bb (50% normal, 50% albino)

5. BB x bb (completely normal x albino)
= Bb, Bb, Bb, Bb (100% normal however all are carriers of the recessive albino gene)

6. bb x bb (albino x albino)
= bb, bb, bb, bb (100% albino)

sorry if i got carried away but hey, you asked how albinos came about!:p

Last edited:
were leanring about genes in science at the moment

oreo1 is that the punnet chart? (i think thats what u call it )

Is that how it works for all creatures? My frogs recently bred white tadpoles (not sure if they're albino though, havn't morphed yet) and i dont think theres any history of it in their other sibling, parents etc.

There have been many white tadpoles born that get colour just before morphing.
No idea why this happens though. I guess you will have to wait to see how they turn out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back