Ravens/Crows as pets

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TahneeMaree

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hello out there ^_^
SO, I've always wanted a nice intelegent bird as a pet, but parrots LOVE to chew things and tend to make ALOT of noise...

So I thought I'd look into having a Crow, Raven or Magpie as a pet... though I don't know all the legalities and stuff... like needing them on lisence and stuff... OR where to get one even...

(I have a soft spot for these birds but never considered one as a pet until now)

I'd really like to hear from anyone who can help me out with any info on keeping/caring for them... IF I can keep one... ^_^

I would MUCH prefer a Raven because I've read that they're more inteligent and cleaner (correct me if I'm wrong please)
I know they do make some noise and collect all your shiny things and can peck so please no flaming over the bad things they do... I have and WILL take it all into consideration before juming the purchase bridge... this is just an info fishing expedition at the moment...

Thanks in advance :)

I have two regulars that come to my place every day ..I dont know wether they are a crow or raven ..is there a differance? and if so what is it ? ..anyway these two are very foreward birds ,one is a little more cautious then the other but cant blame you for wanting one TM they are so beautiful ..the black is gorgeous ..I dont mind the call on these birds either .

I like the ravens, but I also LOVE the song of the Magpie... though if one would sing in captivity I don't know, I've still got a lot of considering to go ^_^ it's no small choice

Ive always wanted a crow,i love how theyre all jet black..not sure if its legal and if it would be possible..sometimes those birds are savage lol.

As with Redbellybite, we have regular visitors, all of whom live in the five nests in the huge gum tree at the back of our house......... They are beautiful birds, and they are definitely intelligent/interactive with humans. Two of them have hubby 'trained' to the point that they come and dit on the gable at the front of the house and call, which is his signal to 'get out here with that bread, we're waiting'. Once bread or whatever, is thrown out to them, they pick up two or three pieces and dunk them in the water dish we provide for them too (now the bird bath). They are truly gorgeous birds.

Hi, I've had both crows and magpies. Raised them from babies. The magpie was like a dog, great character. The crows were more aloof. I liked both but prefer the magpies.

http://www.epa.qld.gov.au/register/p01389aa.pdf
(page 16)

From this I take that I can only legaly keep an Australian magpie legaly? If I have my license upggraded to being able to keep 2 restricted birds?

Please tell me if I'm wrong, I'm unsure of my understanding of the text.

Hi, I've had both crows and magpies. Raised them from babies. The magpie was like a dog, great character. The crows were more aloof. I liked both but prefer the magpies.

Are captive Magpies a mostly quiet bird except for when they sing? Though I'd LOVE it if one would sing ^_^
I suspect that only the males would sing too? or do the females sing too?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think both male and female magpies sing. I have known one to talk a bit and whistle tunes. I had alot coming to my home when I lived in SA. They would bring the babies and I'd feed them all. The 2 I raised had fallen out of the nest. They interacted great with all my other pets, the dogs and even my cats didn't worry about them.

http://www.epa.qld.gov.au/register/p01389aa.pdf
(page 16)

From this I take that I can only legaly keep an Australian magpie legaly? If I have my license upggraded to being able to keep 2 restricted birds?

Please tell me if I'm wrong, I'm unsure of my understanding of the text.

I believe that is the case. Living in Brisbane it shouldnt be to hard to attract wild brids to your yard, some wild birds become used to being fed by humans and hang around like they are pets.

maggies are great had one for about 1 year sat on a purch next to the front door scared the hell out of ppl when they seen him there. a crow would be awsome bit more noise i think. we released him back into the area he came from once he was better. did the same with a ring tail possum

My mum has a family of magpies that come visit her every morning, and she saves scraps like chicken wings etc for them and feeds them. They had babies and now the babies come visit too, my mum even named one of the babies "squawker"...its quite funny to watch..they will come right up to the glass door if she doesnt notice they are there... too cute

I beleive ravens and bigger than crows (which is how you "can" tell them apart lol). If you had the two next to each other, the raven should be noticibly bigger.
I think i also remember reading that we (in melbourne) only have wild ravens and no crows??
Not been a threatened species i couldnt see why you shouldnt be able keep them if there established in your city or state.

Tookie still hangs around our house, lives in a pinetree with his chix.
tookids.jpg

A couple of Tookie the raven
tkiyuj.jpg

One more.
DSC00024.jpg

He sits on the power lines out the front and sometimes gets left over pinkies.
Cheers

Ravens are meant to be highly intelligent birds? I've though of keeping one as a pet & training it. I think someone said, that we have more ravens then crows here or all ravens no crows, people just call them crows?

Ravens are meant to be highly intelligent birds? I've though of keeping one as a pet & training it. I think someone said, that we have more ravens then crows here or all ravens no crows, people just call them crows?

There are both Ravens and Crows in Australia... And to the untrained eye, or from a distance, they both look exactly the same, and its impossible to tell the difference... But there are minor differences like the hackle feathers? Eye colour i think? and a few other things... Can't really remember, but we learnt the differences in one of my classes at uni last year, for our bird field pracs and stuff... Just cbf atm lol.

I think they have different calls too... Its in my field guide somewhere... I'll dig it up later and have a look... But most people call both ravens and crows, crows... I think? Unless its in a zoo and they know for certain which one it actually is...

Haha I think I BSed in one of my pracs that I saw them both? I think sizes is another thing?

And Colin, more like Freudian faux pas of the century! ;)

Last edited:
Im also looking to get a pet Crow or Magpie. They are not protected here in SA so thats cool. We had a pet Magpie years ago and they are just the most awesome of birds, nothing else can compare. They are very dog like. She would sit on your shoulder and nibble your earlib while talking to you. She would sit of the window ledge of the front house and guard it. If any strangers came over she would attack them by "snapping" her beak. Truely awesome pets. I dont know anyone who breeds them in captivity, and I just dont know why noone does. If people knew how good they are Gallahs and Budgies would become extinct. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back