Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smacdonald

Reaction score
I've just returned from two weeks of poking around near Dalby. Here are some pics. This was a work trip, so the camera didn't get as much use as I would have liked. Reptiles/amphibians I saw but didn't photograph are:
-Diplodactylus vittatus
-Pseudechis guttatus
-Carlia foliorum
-Limnodynastes tasmaniensis

Red-bellied black snake (Pseudechis porphyriacus) found on a dirt road

Red-bellied black snake was found on the road. It retreated to the fallen log in the distance after it was disturbed.

Red-bellied black snake (Pseudechis porphyriacus) found curled up on a creek bank

Red-bellied black snake (Pseudechis porphyriacus)

Red-bellied black snake (Pseudechis porphyriacus). He retreated to the water when I got a bit too close.

Red-bellied black snake (Pseudechis porphyriacus) habitat. The snake was curled up on the bank in the foreground.

De Vis' banded snake (Denisonia devisi) found under an old tarp in the middle of a newly cleared paddock.

Old tarps. Home to Denisonia devisi, Heteronotia binoei, Ctenotus taeniolatus.

Lace monitor (Varanus varius). A very yellow one.

Spot the lizard!

Can you see him yet?

Eastern bearded dragon (Pogona barbata)

Carlia pectoralis - female.

Carlia pectoralis - male in breeding colours.

Menetia timlowi. Quite possibly the most boring reptile in the world. No offence, Tim!

Bynoe's gecko (Heteronotia binoei)

Bynoe's gecko (Heteronotia binoei)

Pobblebonk (Limnodynastes terrareginae)

Pseudophryne major

Uperoleia rugosa

Ornate burrowing frog (Platyplectrum ornatum)

Limnodynastes fletcheri

Limnodynastes fletcheri

Neobatrachus sudelli

Little forest bat (Vespedalus vulturnus)

Stewart

God Stewart, those are some super credible photo's. In fact, I think you are the most credible photographer I have ever seen in photo credibility history. Incredible!

Good stuff Stew. Not bad for a work trip :)

I believes yesterdays tally was Stewart - 0 and Jonno - 3.

The results speak for themselves, locust.

excellent pics mate, those red belly shots are awesome :D

cheers HK.

Ill be going out that way this weekend, With my shinny new camera. Thinking of exploring Dalby, Goondawindi, Condamine and St George.
Any tips?

Creek lines are good for red bellies. They avoid the heat of the day, so at this time of the year early morning and late afternoons are good times to be searching.

Stewart

Creek lines are good for red bellies. They avoid the heat of the day, so at this time of the year early morning and late afternoons are good times to be searching.

Stewart

Great advice, thanks Strewart. Ill post my pics when I get back.
Also, I got a Navman GPS and Vodafone mobile with GPS. Would they work out there?.

Your Navman will work for all the major roads and streets, but probably won't show up some dirt tracks. Your Vodafone will probably only work close to major towns like St George and Dalby.

Ditto the above comment from Serp! Are Bells the more common morph in the Brigalow?

Yes, it was a weird looking Bell's form lace monitor. I saw a few other lacies out there, but this was the only Bell's. I've seen other Bell'ses out in that area previously, so they're obviously fairly common. I wouldn't say that they're the more common form, though.

If we hadn't been flat out with work, I would have waited for that yellow lacie to come down from the tree and then I would have tried to get some better pics of it.

Stewart

They are about 50/50 out there. It seems to run in clumps too...you'll go through a patch of Bells and then a patch or normals and back and forth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back