Pet Cane Toad chaging colour

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cane toads can go for decent money in the pet trade in some places in the world. I'd probably prefer a pacman frog if I lived where they were legal but plenty of people enjoy toads as pets. Sorry I can't help you with your original question but I would be surprised if your toad was ill. They are tough buggers so if it is feeding and behaving ok then it will probably be fine. Maybe try dechlorinated water as a precaution otherwise I'm out of suggestions.

I've got dechlorinated water already :) I think I'll just check on him in the morning and see if it's any better, better go to bed now. Thanks anyway

I questioned because I wanted to see where it was in writing. I also cannot find any information about the legalities of keeping them on that website.

I don't think there are any laws in NSW (there are in other states) against keeping toads. A friend of mine got one as a rescue a few years back and rang DECC asking what he should do with it, they really didn't care so he kept it for a while, then passed it onto the FATS group who now use it for displays. I have searched for a law about keeping them and can't find anything stating that they can't be kept... In Qld morally it would make any difference whether you kept one or not, when there are 10 jumping around your yard, what difference is one inside in a tank? as long as you don't breed it (not that that would really make too much difference anyway)... People ride high horses around here eh?

In nsw the exotics come under the same protection as the natives, go figure. so you can't "legally" remove them from the wild. As someone mentioned the asian house gex are on our licence system and can be kept if gotten from a legal source.

In nsw the exotics come under the same protection as the natives, go figure. so you can't "legally" remove them from the wild. As someone mentioned the asian house gex are on our licence system and can be kept if gotten from a legal source.

DECC | Help stop the spread of cane toads

DECC explain how to exterminate them, but I think they may of slipped through the system so to speak as far as keeping them... they would of course try to deter anyone from doing so, but it may just be that there are no laws in NSW from actually legally stopping you?

I typed "keeping cane toads" last night into google and the only thing that came up about it was for WA. The site stated that it was illegal to keep them or move them over the border. Other wise, I've only found sites that detail how to keep them well, another said they were not pests and the control of them was up to the individual's discretion (for Queensland), and frogs.com.au listed them under "Frogs Around Queensland".

I dont know if its legal or not ...to own as pets ..dont know wether you can keep foxes and other introduced animals like rabbits and hares as pets either ..(wild ones I mean ) I know you cant keep domesticated rabbits here as pets ...anyhoo I know they have cane toad races and stuff like that so would presume many keep them, even if it is just for a short while ...I do have to say though I believe if you do happen to stop wanting it as a pet ...FREEZE it dont let it go back ...

For those criticizing this person - get over it.
They are not breeding them therefore it is one less toad in the wild. Which could mean a few thousand less toads in the wild every year, it can't breed out there can it. I for have seen some very attractive looking toads, so I don't blame you for keeping one, I love amphibians but not keen on keeping them, everyone has an opinion, get used to it people, open your mind.

As for freezing, that's slow and cruel, whether it's a pest or not, nothing deserves to suffer, if you're going to kill a toad, squash it. Hell, even Detol is quicker than a freezer.

As for legalities, I'm sure it's illegal to keep a pest, such as a Rabbit, Fox or Toad, but when did the law stop anyone?
I touch wild snakes to save them, some one shoot me.

Last edited:
Food for thought: I once heard an eminent environmental scientist make the point that, although toads are an ecological threat to the Australian environment, they did not ask to be here and imposing cruelty and unnecessary torment upon them is a low act.
I've added this pointed comment in response to those simple enough to say things like "kill it" to the lady who started this thread regarding her toad. However, the humane killing of toads to reduce their numbers I believe is justified.

For those criticizing this person - get over it.
They are not breeding them therefore it is one less toad in the wild. Which could mean a few thousand less toads in the wild every year, it can't breed out there can it. I for have seen some very attractive looking toads, so I don't blame you for keeping one, I love amphibians but not keen on keeping them, everyone has an opinion, get used to it people, open your mind.

As for freezing, that's slow and cruel, whether it's a pest or not, nothing deserves to suffer, if you're going to kill a toad, squash it. Hell, even Detol is quicker than a freezer.

As for legalities, I'm sure it's illegal to keep a pest, such as a Rabbit, Fox or Toad, but when did the law stop anyone?
I touch wild snakes to save them, some one shoot me.

vinegar is quicker and cheaper than dettol ;)

Ryan - I remember reading somewhere the Bufo marinus toxin is a class 2 drug along with weed, so I guess you can get in **** for licking one, lol. Dunno 100% though

Amen ozziepyhtons, I kill them but only if they don't know it, it has to be quick and painless. I can only do it via running them over, real easy that way, not connected and you dont have to see it.
And I only do it for our native snakes that die eating them killing 1 toad could save a generation of snakes.

vinegar is quicker and cheaper than dettol ;)

Never new that, just straight vinegar? Hate watching them squirm and carry on, at least it's quicker than a freezer. I would much rather crush them though, so quick and painless, unlike the liquids.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back