Sugar Gliders are so hard to find!!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rfrancis

Reaction score
Hi all, I just cant believe how hard it is to get a pair, or any sugar gliders. I mean, they breed so well in captivity and live for 12-14 years. People have been keeping them for a long time. Whats the deal???????:(
I have told my son he can't have a dog because we have too much wildlife in our yard, so he wants a sugar glider instead, which btw we have plenty of in the yard, but they are so hard to get.

Hi all, I just cant believe how hard it is to get a pair, or any sugar gliders. I mean, they breed so well in captivity and live for 12-14 years. People have been keeping them for a long time. Whats the deal???????:(
I have told my son he can't have a dog because we have too much wildlife in our yard, so he wants a sugar glider instead, which btw we have plenty of in the yard, but they are so hard to get.
If you've got them in the yard start trying to condition them to get used to you as a start. You should be feel priviledged to have them in your yard. Not something everyone gets to experience.

They used to be around all the time for sale but after keeping them myself...

I think their popularity has decreased somewhat. They are smelly little feral's :)

Just enjoy having them in your backyard & leave it at that.

Smelly little AGRO ferals to be more precise. I've had for over a year now, they are a joy but a bite from one certainly isn;t!

We have two males left, pick up only $200 each and you can take the enclosure that is left as well

Smelly little AGRO ferals to be more precise. I've had for over a year now, they are a joy but a bite from one certainly isn;t!
I have to agree with that! Having two on your head fighting over who gets to sit there isn't the most enjoyable thing to happen [particularly when the person who was supposed to get them off me was killing themselves with laughter].

I've got two pairs, I've never had any of them crab at me or bite me, they are sweet little stinkers. Having said that, the mother of my males was a feral little b*.#ch. You just need to get them young and handle them heaps.
I would recommend getting 2 (or more) of them, as 1 on it's own could (and will) get very lonely, even with wild ones running around outside it's cage. They are more commonly avail on petlink and trading post from late November through to March. Good luck!

On the subject of Gliders, does anyone have any experience keeping feathertail gliders? I would love a pair...if I can find out who breeds them

Gliders are wonderful to keep, just moves on the last of ours, very reluctantly but we do not have the time or space to keep them properly.....if you get a chance they are beautiful and I would ecomend them to any person who loves wildlife

On the subject of Gliders, does anyone have any experience keeping feathertail gliders? I would love a pair...if I can find out who breeds them
I used to work with feathertails when I was a volunteer keeper at Moonlit Sanctuary, don't know any private breeders though unfortunately and I doubt the sanctuary will have any to sell for a very long time... What did you want to know about them?

I used to work with feathertails when I was a volunteer keeper at Moonlit Sanctuary, don't know any private breeders though unfortunately and I doubt the sanctuary will have any to sell for a very long time... What did you want to know about them?

Just basically what they're like in captivity, husbandry requirements etc

Just basically what they're like in captivity, husbandry requirements etc
I'm no expert on them, but the park feeds them a nectar mix, also fruit (melons, grapes, berrys, apple, etc), also fly pupae around spring time and/or the odd mealworm. They just need a good nest box to sleep in.
Even though they are tiny, they need a reasonably good size cage, as they move at warp speed and are very active. Fresh native foliage every few days is great for them too. They are super cute, and I would have some in a heart-beat if I knew where to get some.

Greg, i used to volunteer there too.... maybe we should both go there again, slip a couple into our pockets and start a little breeding program? lol

Oh it would be all too easy lol. Don't tempt me! Hahaha. Do you know if they breed them now? When I worked there they were only just starting to have success, what do they do with surplus?

This was taken in my FRONT YARD!!

n751269244_2402042_5846795.jpg

n751269244_2402040_6434426.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back