Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jasspa

Reaction score
Hi guys,
Was wondering if someone could give me a second opinion on the species of gecko that I found a while back. I have ID'd it as a Main's Ground Gecko (Lucasium mainii), however I have never been 100% sure.
I found her in Merredin area, Wheatbelt region of WA.

Thanks guys!

Attachments

• gecko1.jpg
    gecko1.jpg
    350.8 KB · Views: 149
Looks like L. mainii to me and the distribution seems to fit.

Why would you think it wasn't?

Looks like L. mainii to me and the distribution seems to fit.

Why would you think it wasn't?

Uuum, just questioning myself I suppose.
The patterning and location seem to match - I was just never sure.

Rostral scale looks to be in contact with the nostril so I'd say you're spot on Jasspa.

It's definitely not a beaked gecko ;)

Sorry if I have gave wrong response.. I typed beaked gecko in google images and a gecko identical one to that one popped up..

Sorry if I have gave wrong response.. I typed beaked gecko in google images and a gecko identical one to that one popped up..
No worries, google images often comes up with different species to what you search anyway, just thought I'd clarify as a few people had guessed it. They look very different with a sharply pointed "beak".

Yes it is, though you shouldn't rely too much on distribution maps as often things turn up well outside them.

Yeah true, I've found some species way out of their range (well what it says in the field guide), a recent example being Ctenotus calurus in the Simpson Desert, Qld. I think this can often occur because the remote arid zones of Australia aren't often widely explored or researched. Having said all that, I'll stick with my first opinion :p

Thanks for your input guys.
What ever she is, I had a lot of find finding her!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back