Snake catcher fed up by non-payers

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The NT system is fantastic - animals aren't getting killed OR released into unsuitable habitat. The home owner doesn't have to pay and the snake catcher has an income. However this doesn't work everywhere - for instance, in Adelaide there's only so many Brown Snakes you can keep and sell to the public (yes I release catchers can do this in Adelaide).

It would work really well in areas where there are reptiles that have a significant price tag attached to them but here in SEQ, we're stuck with Carpet Pythons and Green Tree Snakes - not exactly the most "in demand" reptiles.

hmmm every wondered where the council will get the money from?....lets see rate payers, so now everyone has to pay for a snake to be removed, rather than just the people who need the service. While the concept is nice the reality is different. Yes it will work in some places but you will have many complaints from those who do not use the service, why should I being paying extra for something that I can do myself for free???.

Next thing we know people will be asking for the council to pay for termites and other pest control activities....

People pay for possums to be removed less than 50 meters from their house, yet complain about removal of snakes?

I do see value in establishing reputable people to set up a system similar to NT where certain animals can be caught and sold into the pet trade, but under strict rules and well regulated. Not every snake catcher should have this right, there are some shady operators out there!

you will have many complaints from those who do not use the service,/QUOTE]

It's no different to my taxes paying for schools when I dont (or ever plan to) have children.

But seriously, people need to stop being such tight wads. It's $30, thats a bargain, it costs me more to get my dog groomed!

The NT system is fantastic - animals aren't getting killed OR released into unsuitable habitat. The home owner doesn't have to pay and the snake catcher has an income. However this doesn't work everywhere - for instance, in Adelaide there's only so many Brown Snakes you can keep and sell to the public (yes I release catchers can do this in Adelaide).

It would work really well in areas where there are reptiles that have a significant price tag attached to them but here in SEQ, we're stuck with Carpet Pythons and Green Tree Snakes - not exactly the most "in demand" reptiles.

only part of the income comes from the animals, part is gov funded, yes you have to do alot of boring normal rescues, but there is oportunity to get a few quirky reptiles on the lic system, and not all rescues are snakes ;) of course..... just need to use your imagination a little...

Just think of all the coin you can make selling juvie hypo coastals :lol:

30 bucks is a bargain.......i agree it should be love of the animals but there are costs involved to come out and catch the snakes...car rego, petrol, etc......30 bucks would barely cover that if he is driving 40km to drop them off in the wild....just my opinion.

Only the truly obsessed and mentally deranged ones.:oops:

"just going out for coffee honey"

"..umm, Weezer it is 3 in the morning..."

"..aaah, yeah, well...ummm....look- over there...."

------ ---- -------------------------------------/

My wife is over the going herping thing, she know if it's stinking hot at 5pm that I won't be home till 5am....

Just think of all the coin you can make selling juvie hypo coastals :lol:

:lol: there actually are heaps of snakes around brisbane that would be in reasonable demand, i would like a light silver tree snake, black and yellow tree snake and a few marsh snakes, red, black and brown ones would be cool. Carpet pythons still sell for over $100 too. Provided they kept an eye on it to make sure it wasnt being abused badly i think it would be much better than what happens now.

If he is releasing them 40 kms out of town though, isnt the genetic information for each locality going to get muddled?

That was my first thought too. It might pay for him to check his local legislation on release distances. I can understand his gripe with non payers. Everyone is entitled to make a living!
You would have to pay way more for an exterminator to come in for roaches, mice etc.
Maybe start putting them back for non payers, waiting for the call & demanding 2 payments up front!

Winging about it, i would bloody winge about it too if these ungratefull mungrels owed me the money.
For 25 to 30 dollars i would say he is doing it for the love of it etc. And its a bargain.
I get this in my line of work also, and in many cases it actually cost me more money to finally get what is owed, than what the original amount was.
i do not care if it costs me more, I do it on principle, otherwise these people are stealing from me and will more likely go on to do it to other people like this poor bloke
these people think its not much money, he wont bother chasing it, or simply the poor guy cannot afford to chase the money.
I feel sorry for this guy, and wish him well

hope the stingy bastards that dont pay get wats coming 2 them. i like the idea previously mentoned by jason, put it in there letterbox if they dont pay :lol: .

Will

For that cheap they should be paying him in a heartbeat, simple as that.

If he is releasing them 40 kms out of town though, isnt the genetic information for each locality going to get muddled?

what's your definition of a locality? i know carpet sellers like to think it's only a couple of hundred square metres, but i think 40km is pretty insignificant.

I run Reptile Rescue in the Hunter Valley as a fully licenced and insured business and have done so for the past several years .We have only had 2 non payers one from 06 and 07 The 06 was an Eastern Brown in a house at 11.30 pm and the 07 was a Black snake on Christmas day. We also have 30 day accounts.
I fine most people as aware that you have to pay a fee for a speciallist service, What do you pay for a pest exterminator to spray roaches and ants I bet he wont come for a $25-$30 call-out fee or after 5pm. We are restricted to no more than 20 km for release put on by DECCW.

That's interesting.I was always under the impression that it was illegal in NSW to charge for snake removals.

our system works ..if any 3 of us that dont get paid for a job ..we let the other 2 catchers know, and if called by that person a next time ..that person is charged double and told that one payment is for the other catcher that you hadnt paid for ..have had late payers ,,but a friendly reminder on the phone is usually enough to get it sent ...I do payment plans so have plenty of time to pay my measly $50 charge ..and old age pens are $25...(if they are looking like they are struggling on the pension that is ,been caught out a few times claiming old age pens ,and they drive a BMW ,live in a huge house and dripping with jewelery ...so if they have tins of dog food and no dog I know they're legit ;) )

I think the whole thing comes down to just the way society is with different people
with different attitudes & it doesn't just come down to not paying snake catchers as I
have been a self employed tradesman for 20yrs now & chasing non payers seems to be
a big part of the business all the time.
I also do snake rescues in NSW which I do as a part of a public service but I find it
amazing how people act differently to different situations as you may have to catch
a brown snake on a 35 degree day after they have the snake all fired up with pets
& garden hoses etc and they hardly even say so much as thanks.
Then there are the people which have tree snake sitting on their verandah easily picked up and removed and the people are trying to shower you with gifts for saving their lives:lol:

I think the whole thing comes down to just the way society is with different people
with different attitudes & it doesn't just come down to not paying snake catchers as I
have been a self employed tradesman for 20yrs now & chasing non payers seems to be
a big part of the business all the time.
I also do snake rescues in NSW which I do as a part of a public service but I find it
amazing how people act differently to different situations as you may have to catch
a brown snake on a 35 degree day after they have the snake all fired up with pets
& garden hoses etc and they hardly even say so much as thanks.
Then there are the people which have tree snake sitting on their verandah easily picked up and removed and the people are trying to shower you with gifts for saving their lives:lol:
I can relate to that ...I have had people pay me double for my trouble ..and even say that they think that it should be more ...and also the GOV should be dipping their hand in and helping out ...well wont hold my breath on that one ...
say what you want ..but we are providing a service and alot of times it is like playing with a loaded gun ...WOULD YOU PLAY RUSSIAN ROULETTE for a total stranger for nothing? ....I think it stinks that in NSW you guys dont get at least FUEL vouchers to cover your travel costs ..really stinks ...fuel isnt free and in remote areas as like myself ,and so many are ,the driving distance to get to a job is anywhere up to 55kms away + for one job .

Then having to find a suitable relocation spot ,and then drive back home ..its usually a good 100km + all round trip for me for one callout ..so my $50 is a drop in the ocean ..and as was said on call 24 /7 EVEN CHRISTMAS DAY AND NEW YEARS DAY .....think some need to jump off their high and mighty soap box and get back to reality cause your tugging it if you think we are doing it to make only money out of it :rolleyes:

I do it for free, rather get no money and save the snakes life.

I do it for free, rather get no money and save the snakes life.
well I wanna know how to get a hold of a money tree too now ...

Scorps why dont you provide a free service then ...
its all good in hindsight now
But most of us live in the land of reality and have real debt and real situations to deal with..
Shame on my POVO butt shame ...

well I wanna know how to get a hold of a money tree too now ...

Scorps why dont you provide a free service then ...
its all good in hindsight now
But most of us live in the land of reality and have real debt and real situations to deal with..
Shame on my POVO butt shame ...

Wow,
nice redbelly but if you managed to read my post correctly you would have noticed I wrote I (keyword get ready for it) 'DO' it for free, not I'd do it meaning I already do run a free snake catching service. I am a snake relocator in Cairns and have never asked for a cent. The money tree you ask about comes from my day job like most of the country while relocating is just a hobby I do that allows me to save that certain snake from a shovle while also allowing me to educate the home owner about our lovely Australian reptiles and how they mean no harm to us.

"Shame on my POVO butt shame" honestly that was pretty immature, this is a public forum where you allowed to post your own oppinion for everyone else to see so long as it does not offend any one. I am sorry if it did but to me I dont see reptiles as something to make money out of and I understand if you do. Each to there own I guess . . .

Scorps

Wow,
nice redbelly but if you managed to read my post correctly you would have noticed I wrote I (keyword get ready for it) 'DO' it for free, not I'd do it meaning I already do run a free snake catching service. I am a snake relocator in Cairns and have never asked for a cent. The money tree you ask about comes from my day job like most of the country while relocating is just a hobby I do that allows me to save that certain snake from a shovle while also allowing me to educate the home owner about our lovely Australian reptiles and how they mean no harm to us.

"Shame on my POVO butt shame" honestly that was pretty immature, this is a public forum where you allowed to post your own oppinion for everyone else to see so long as it does not offend any one. I am sorry if it did but to me I dont see reptiles as something to make money out of and I understand if you do. Each to there own I guess . . .

Scorps
Scorps my appologies as to thinking you only were saying it in hindsight ..you do it for free ..well you must be a bit better off then some of us ..
I wouldnt say we are making money out of reps either now ..that payment basically covers fuel that is used and fuel that will be in my tank for the next callout ..so thinking we are making money out of it gets up my nose ...if I charged $500 a callout well can see ya point then .

Am sick of the likes of people accusing the ones that do ask for a payment being made out "of not giving a crap about the snake itself that is utter" BS ...if we didnt give a toss we wouldnt bother doing a training setup nor re -newing our DM's or returning our return of operations etc ...if you can do it for free so be it ...but dont knock the ones that dont either ..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back