University O.o

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

naledge

Very Well-Known Member
Banned
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone can help me out. I'm looking at all my options for the next few years, I never really thought I'd be able to go to University, I didn't get my SACE and I'm not too fond of moving out of my city, away from everyone I know. Then I found out about adult entry (meaning I can go to Uni without SACE) and Distance Education.

The few things I need to know are:

Being the end of 2009, is it too late to enroll to study in 2010 and complete the STAT test for adult entry?

If so, what should be the first things for me to do right now? There's a lot that needs to be done, application, STAT test, HECS etc. It's all too confusing for me to work out on my own, I don't know anyone who's gone to Uni before and the internet isn't all that helpful to me.

What's better, HECS or a student loan? I've heard a lot about people not being able to cope with their HECS debt, and that only covers course fees, whereas a student loan can pay for text books, tutors etc.

And, is there anything else I should know? :D

I think it's too late now unless you maybe want to start Mid year but then again they could have stopped accepting applications already.

You dont have to pay back your HECS fees until you start earning a certain amount per year I'm fairly sure.

& if you need help getting into University you shoul ring QTAC or whatever yours is, or the University. That's what I've done and I'm all sorted.

Good luck :)

HECS (now called HELP) is different to a student loan. It covers the cost of the subjects you do, it is interest free but is adjusted for inflation. You don't get a student loan to cover the cost of your subjects, that would be incredibly stupid, you would need to borrow around $4-8k a year and pay interest on it, it just doesn't work that way. A student loan is for the cost of text books and that kind of thing, it is totally separate. And as said above, you don't pay back your HELP loan until you're earning a certain amount, it's around $38k here, so there's no issues with not being able to cope with the loan.

Can't help with the rest.

If you're worried about not being able to afford books and that open a bank account and start saving now.
Plus you get help from centrelink I think. 18 and living away from home, single & studying. Pretty sure you can claim something there.

Centrelink isn't worth the hassle. It's better just to get a part time job and save up :\

Either way, I know a lot of universities do long distance education. And as long as you pay a nice little fee upfront, you can still apply through QTAC. University positions are open up to two weeks before start date.

Centrelink isn't worth the hassle. It's better just to get a part time job and save up :\

Either way, I know a lot of universities do long distance education. And as long as you pay a nice little fee upfront, you can still apply through QTAC. University positions are open up to two weeks before start date.

Yeah that is true but I guess if I were really stuck I'd still try with centrelink :p
Yeah that's what I mean start svaing up pay and that. That's what I'm gonna start doing from new years onwards, put some away for when I leave for University.

Hi naledge,

Have you conatcted a specific university?
Each uni has different requirements, seeing as you didnt do (what I assume is the SA equivalent of your OP) you would probably have to do some sort of formal education through your chosen uni. But call them and have a chat with a student career counsellor or whatever it is they are called.

i was also under the impression there was an age limit for the state test in some unis.

I know this is probably personal too but you said you were not to fond of moving from your friends. I know so many people my own age who are straight out of school and settling for just a job, and not a career (i know tertiary isnt the only way to achieve this, but it is the most obvious option for me).
Friends come and go and if they were real friends you'll stay in touch.

oh and everyone i know gets hecs- its definately the smart way to go.

so in short call universities and familiarise yourself with their individual adult entry or briding pathways (and dates) and good luck!

Just wondering if anyone can help me out. I'm looking at all my options for the next few years, I never really thought I'd be able to go to University, I didn't get my SACE and I'm not too fond of moving out of my city, away from everyone I know. Then I found out about adult entry (meaning I can go to Uni without SACE) and Distance Education.

The few things I need to know are:

Being the end of 2009, is it too late to enroll to study in 2010 and complete the STAT test for adult entry?

If so, what should be the first things for me to do right now? There's a lot that needs to be done, application, STAT test, HECS etc. It's all too confusing for me to work out on my own, I don't know anyone who's gone to Uni before and the internet isn't all that helpful to me.

What's better, HECS or a student loan? I've heard a lot about people not being able to cope with their HECS debt, and that only covers course fees, whereas a student loan can pay for text books, tutors etc.

And, is there anything else I should know? :D

The stat tests are done for 09, but you may be able to get one before uni starts next semester, call the intake office and ask them, then you will have true info rather than guesses.

HECS is good because you only have to [ay it back when your earnings are high enough to cover it, my niece finished uni many years ago and they are still not forcing payment even though her earnings are quite high.

Good luck with it all, I hope it goes well for you

When i was at Uni you had to be 24 years old to qualify as a mature aged student (adult), and thus get into a degree without a "UAI" (Uni. admission index).

-H

I think it's too late now unless you maybe want to start Mid year but then again they could have stopped accepting applications already.

You dont have to pay back your HECS fees until you start earning a certain amount per year I'm fairly sure.

& if you need help getting into University you shoul ring QTAC or whatever yours is, or the University. That's what I've done and I'm all sorted.

Good luck :)

Thanks for the information :) I suppose if I started mid year I could do a short course to prepare for it, they're only 13 weeks each.

HECS (now called HELP) is different to a student loan. It covers the cost of the subjects you do, it is interest free but is adjusted for inflation. You don't get a student loan to cover the cost of your subjects, that would be incredibly stupid, you would need to borrow around $4-8k a year and pay interest on it, it just doesn't work that way. A student loan is for the cost of text books and that kind of thing, it is totally separate. And as said above, you don't pay back your HELP loan until you're earning a certain amount, it's around $38k here, so there's no issues with not being able to cope with the loan.

Can't help with the rest.

Thanks for that, that's exactly what I needed to know. I guess a combination of the both is the best method.

Centrelink's always worth the hassle. Free money's the best kind xD

Hi naledge,

Have you conatcted a specific university?
Each uni has different requirements, seeing as you didnt do (what I assume is the SA equivalent of your OP) you would probably have to do some sort of formal education through your chosen uni. But call them and have a chat with a student career counsellor or whatever it is they are called.

i was also under the impression there was an age limit for the state test in some unis.

I haven't contacted anyone yet, I'm trying to work out as much myself first so I don't ask the really basic questions when I eventually get in touch with someone from the Uni.

Yeah, I think the age limit depends on the Uni, it's 18 at Uni S.A and 25 somewhere else.

Thanks everyone :)

Open Universiy is always another option.
It's done online at your own pace, so you can continue to work, full time in most cases.

Open Universiy is always another option.
It's done online at your own pace, so you can continue to work, full time in most cases.

Yeah, that's what I've been looking at, although their courses are all provided to them by actual Universities, so I'd need to meet their mature entry requirements, the course I want to do requires me to be 21 >.>

I am starting a BSc next year with them. The course only requires me to attend 1 week per study period (13 weeks) which is equivalent to 2 weeks per semester in standard uni terms.
What course are you looking at?

Last edited:
I am starting a BSc next year with them. The course only requires me to attend 1 week per study period (13 weeks) which is equivalent to 2weeks per semester in standard uni terms.
What course are you looking at?

Oh, that's pretty good. I would like to do the Bachelor of Liberal Studies and major in history and philosophy. I might end up doing a Bachelor of Arts, majoring in the same kinds of subjects at another Uni, if their mature age entry requirements are lower.

Oh, that's pretty good. I would like to do the Bachelor of Liberal Studies and major in history and philosophy. I might end up doing a Bachelor of Arts, majoring in the same kinds of subjects at another Uni, if their mature age entry requirements are lower.
Mature Age entry is just that.....MATURE AGE, i.e. you are not just out of school. You will not find a university that does Mature age at anything less than 21.

If you want to get in to uni faster than that, go pick up a relevant diploma at TAFE, get great results and transfer. Alternatively, just go earn some money, live life and travel for 2 years. Then when your 21 go the mature age entry route.

Mature Age entry is just that.....MATURE AGE, i.e. you are not just out of school. You will not find a university that does Mature age at anything less than 21.

If you want to get in to uni faster than that, go pick up a relevant diploma at TAFE, get great results and transfer. Alternatively, just go earn some money, live life and travel for 2 years. Then when your 21 go the mature age entry route.

Uni S.A's age is 18.

Yeah, I'll have a look at what TAFE courses I'd need to do, thanks.

Uni S.A's age is 18.

Yeah, I'll have a look at what TAFE courses I'd need to do, thanks.

Just found out that to get into any undergrad course at UNE all I have to do is an "enabling course" it's a free, one year program offered by UNE. You do two compulsory full year subjects and two elective semester-long subjects. So three subjects per semester, and when you complete it you can enroll in any UNE undergrad course.

Yay :D

Yeah, that's what I've been looking at, although their courses are all provided to them by actual Universities, so I'd need to meet their mature entry requirements, the course I want to do requires me to be 21 >.>
This is not true at all. OUA has zero entry requirements, other than an internet connection. Some courses require you to do SSK12 first if you haven't done any university study before, but that's it.
I'm studying a bachelor of criminology and criminal justice with Griffith through OUA. I'm 17.

This is not true at all. OUA has zero entry requirements, other than an internet connection. Some courses require you to do SSK12 first if you haven't done any university study before, but that's it.
I'm studying a bachelor of criminology and criminal justice with Griffith through OUA. I'm 17.

O_O
I love you xD

Thanks for telling me that, I'll email some people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back