WILD python NEED HELP

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Depending on how bad the injuries are, and they dont sound good,your sort of obligated to decide wether to try to rehab it or knock it on the head.
Releasing a snake injured by a car back into the bush dosnt seem right to me.
jmo

why do humans always feel the need to play god? Let it go..let nature do its thing.

because thats just what we do allies. and given the circumstances don't you feel that your comment is a touch narrow-minded? each to their own however. anyone following this thread is aware of my chosen course of action, and its justification. if you feel you have an opinion or advice that directly contradicts this please forward it to my inbox from now on, simply to above further arguments as this site seems so good at developing. i shall continue the use of this thread for updates for those that are interested. thanks again all!

in the meatime - he is sitting above the light soaking up some warmth, the tail still looks clean :)

hey shoo shoo, im the local reptile carer for north west of where you are and would help f i was a bit more locally but if you wanted to send me any pics etc i can do my best o help out with sugestions. my only advice which im sure you already know... dont let it any here near your current captive stock

lt seems a lot of people on here would close all animal rescue places like wires and let all wild animals fend for themselves .

JT, this mindset is alive and well mate, Ive been told Im wasting my time, resources ect on quite a few occasions.
That all animals in care and shelter shoud be 'put down', for the 'long term good of the environment'.
"Look at the big picture" they say....pfft

Most of the native animals in the shelters are there because of a direct interaction with either a human,(car shovel ect) or a dog or cat injury.

"Nature" has not played a part in these cases and as humans we are obligated to make decisions such as euthanasia or rehab.

Release isnt an option for these animals untill they are healthy enough to have a good chance at survival.

Most of the native animals in the shelters are there because of a direct interaction with either a human,(car shovel ect) or a dog or cat injury.

"Nature" has not played a part in these cases and as humans we are obligated to make decisions such as euthanasia or rehab.

So True

I totally agree with the letting nature run its course BUT if its been run over by a car then there is nothing natural about that at all and anyone who thinks that animals being hit by cars is all part of nature then they are very wrong

So Good on you Shooshoo for helping it out especially if its been hit by a car

Lewy

Personally I would let it be... One thing for sure and certain is that I would not be taking it anywhere near my collection.... worming such critters can bring on their death as the parasite load may be huge and it may harbor more than just common pin worms...

I'll second that. I did wildlife rehab for along time and my opinion is that unless the illness/injuries are directly caused by human activities then i think your moral and ethical duties are to let nature takes its course. One animals downfall is often anothers salvation, that is how nature works.

I sit somewhere in the middle of this debate. I have left animals to fend for themselves, I have also taken injured wildlife to the vet, and I have even stopped by the road and ended some critically injured wildlife. At the moment I have a large coastal living in my shed, It ate a young orphaned possum I had "befreinded"' (It was living a couple of meters from my rat cages , so I would bring it a piece of fruit when I fed my rats) Normally the possum would not get any assistance from me. But it was not going to go hungry in MY shed, while I kept cages of well fed rodents feet away. This python is big and old, and while I haven't seen it fully stretched out, I have seen enough to see it has a couple of big almost healed scars (like most big wild pythons) Since it is now in a suburban setting it has more to contend with than nature, So it can live in my shed as long as it wants, and who knows? I might find an alternate place to put my old breeding rats than the bin...
When showing my eldest daughter Willow (5) the python in the shed, I said "he ate the possum we used to feed!" her reply was, oh well now you can feed the snake....

lt seems a lot of people on here would close all animal rescue places like wires and let all wild animals fend for themselves .

What a thing to say.

Messing with nature in any form messes things up. Wether it be habitat destruction, oil spills, poaching OR being an eco-terrorist and finding every fuzzy little animal who got a broken leg when it fell over running away from a quoll and nursing it back to health.

Nearly every carer i know sticks to the idea that unless the injuries were caused by people you need to let nature take its course.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with you Jonno, but the point of difference in today's world is that humans add to an unsustainable level of wildlife fatalities over and above nature's normal level of balance.

On that factor alone, animal care and rehabilitation is justified in my opinion.

Car strikes, feral cat attacks, habitat destruction and intentional human interference isn't part of natures way.

Regards,

G'day ozianimals,

There's a big difference between captive animals and wild animals. "Nature" has nothing to do with captive animals, and everything to do with wild ones.

If every animal in the wild survived, nature would quickly collapse. For every Carpet Python that makes it to maturity, hundreds fall prey to a whole host of predators.

Nearly every carer i know sticks to the idea that unless the injuries were caused by people you need to let nature take its course.

And we've established that in this case, it is likely that the injuries were caused by human interaction, so why is the debate still going?

And we've established that in this case, it is likely that the injuries were caused by human interaction, so why is the debate still going?

Whoooah! *Caution: Quote Mining in Progress*

If you can't work out why i posted that then maybe you should go back to listening to the Jonas Brothers. :lol:

I'll second that. I did wildlife rehab for along time and my opinion is that unless the illness/injuries are directly caused by human activities then i think your moral and ethical duties are to let nature takes its course. One animals downfall is often anothers salvation, that is how nature works.

Gotta roll with Gordo on this one- these are the choices I face when dealing with injured wildlife:

Was it caused by man ?

Was it caused by another creature ?

Is it in severe pain ?

Euthanise ?

Rehab ?

Let nature take it's course ?

Answer the first three, and the last three answer themselves.

... and feed them to my water skinks...? :p

Also, Gordon, play nice plox. No point starting an argument thanks.

Ouch! I must be in trouble if you called me Gordon lol. C'mon Shooshoo, i'm just answering a rhetorical question with an equally provocative answer. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back