Staffy kills tiger snake in Bannockburn as kids squeal with fear

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just don't understand why the dog would go for a motionless snake curled up in a corner when the mum and children are screaming? My dog goes straight to the person screaming

im with craig,
id rather leave snakes alone but when it comes to my kids it aint worth the risk.
im trying to teach my kids(age 2 to 9) the difference between our pythons that they hold all the time and the *deadly* ones

" the dog WAS protecting its "family".[/QUOTE]

I don't beleive this statement, dogs have the capacity to be jealous and they are territorial. The dog doesn't know wether its a venomous snake or not.

But after been given chocolate cake and having a big fuss made over it, it will now no doubt kill anything that accidently stumbles into the yard, and possibly anything the dog comes across while out on the street.

It was the wrong way to handle the situation, before, during and after.

I have to admit I was very disappointed as to how Channel 9's 6pm news depicted the situation. They also refered to the tiger snake as now being another one of the dog's toys and showed the dog playing with the now dead snake. If anything this has just promoted the idea that the only good snake is a dead snake. The proper thing to do would have been to remove the children and dog from the room and call a snake catcher.

I also agree dogs are a far greater threat to children than snakes. Where dogs will often attack other animals and people snakes only do so in order to defend themselves. I however have to disagree about the thought of putting down the dog. In my opinion the family should be educated about venomous snakes and the tiger snake's body taken away from them.

Andrew

Channel seven's coverage was good and they told people to leave snakes alone.

It is ssad that the snake dies but if i had to choose between my son getting bitten and killing 1 of my adders as much as i love them my son would win.. Weather the dog knows the snake is dangerous or not the fact that his owner screamed was enough to send him into action..

Do you have young children? I don't think you would be singing the same song about tigers being "harmless" if your kids or yourself got bitten by one (and not getting medical help, yeah, real harmless). Get off your high horse. As it was said earlier, the dog WAS protecting its "family".

I think you missed chris's tongue planted firmly in his cheek

The thing i don't get is why is it always get rid of the snake? Why don't you just stay away from it or make the area less snake friendly? It's always KILL KILL KILL with people these days!

It is ssad that the snake dies but if i had to choose between my son getting bitten and killing 1 of my adders as much as i love them my son would win.. Weather the dog knows the snake is dangerous or not the fact that his owner screamed was enough to send him into action..

i wouldn't kill any of my snakes if my children were bit cos they would never be placed in a position were they could be bit within our house, accidental bite in the yard or bush would still see the snake moved away to clear the danger of it biting anyone else, and performing first aid to the site. the only time i would consider allowing my children to handle a venomous snake would be at an age where they have the best possible chance of survival if there were complications, and they had enough wits to read the animals body language. also i had a jack russel (known for being a NATURAL snake killer like many of the terriers) and a russel X red cattle and i had them with me on most of my herp trips and it involved no incedent whatso ever, even when i encountered a taipan and brown they kept back without me having to worry about them. they would wait for me to finish photo's if i found it first and moved away if they located and barked at it if i didn't find it first and would let me take photo's without a hassle. However my parents kill snakes and had a foxy that would kill after seeing many killed by my father, yes my family know how strongly i feel about that even though i tell them it will go if they leave it alone... slowly they are coming around and it's only cos of persistance and the fact i've had elapids for some time now is making them realise they don't bite cos they see us...

one comment i really thought was idiotic was some guy said that snakes don't give us a second chance when in all honesty, they give plenty of chances, many even include bluff strikes if provoction still occurs until it is under a real threat on its life such as being crushed by a foot.

also the advancments in medicine and treatment for snake bites has been so extensive over the past 30 or more years that the rate of survival has improved so much that in the 20 years between 1980 and 2000 the number was extremely low and only gets better. and improvements are made every day
a venomous snake has the capacity to inflict a fatal bite but lacks the desire to use it's venom on something it cannot consume... thats why they use a visual defence/s and or flee almost every time

-ReptilianGuy

Last edited:
I've got tiger snakes in my house....and my kids squeal with delight when they see them!!! ....What's wrong with kids today???? :lol: Their friends are bloody scared of everything! :p

I've got tiger snakes in my house....and my kids squeal with delight when they see them!!! ....What's wrong with kids today???? :lol: Their friends are bloody scared of everything! :p

:lol::lol::lol: haha. kids just reflect the fear of the parents. Thats where all education starts, the parents

I'm just wondering why it seems an acceptable punishment (to some) to euthanase a dog over it killing a snake, when it is a totally different story for humans. As mentioned previously dogs act on instinct and often that instinct is to attack anything that is a potential threat, they do not have the ability to analyse a situation before acting as humans do, so wouldn't that make a human who kills a snake worse? What would be the punishment for them?? Perhaps we should torture these people before killing them hey?

It is regrettable that the snake was killed and portrayed badly in the media, but outlandish comments like killing a dog for killing a snake it irrational in my opinion, and makes you as left wing as they are right. Ideally we would all have snake proof yards with all non native animals confined within these areas, unfortunately that will never happen and people need to accept this. The best way to try and and change views is through education, not outrageous comments.

We live in Australia where most venomous also call home.They were here first. It is about time that the narrow minded people learn that the reptiles are not out to get them. Leave them alone and they will do the same..
It seems strange that most people are more concerned over an EXOTIC animal than our beautiful wildlife. If you live near the bush then expect to see a snake now and then learn to live with them they are quite breath taking when you learn to watch insted of hitting with the rake or shovel.
Think of all the rats and mice that the snakes remove if not for the snakes we could be back in the plague days

I think the dog would have killed the snake as soon as it saw it, regardless off people being in the same vacinity. Idiot reporters and idiot family for thinking otherwise

can i just say when i read this thread i thought no the dog should not be put down he was just protecting his family, then i saw it on the news last night........and now i am disgusted in that whole god damn family .....the way they just kept throwing the dead snake at the dog like it was a chew toy or something with smiles on the faces WRONG!!!

Is it any wonder snakes are flighty and defensive? People talk about snakes being the killers.......pffffffffffffft.....the figures show it's most definitely the other way around! Funny how we can distort the truth of the matter so conveniently, and to the degree everyone seems to swallow the lie hook, line and sinker!

Does this snake look like a killer in this photograph?
1dog_(350_x_524).jpg

I did a relocation a few weeks ago and removed a rather large tiger snake from a property in the suburb behind me. Once I got this terrified creature into a large plastic tub it settled down quite remarkably and became more curious than anything. I explained to the concerned mother and her wide-eyed and fascinated kids that these animals are more afraid of us than we are of them, and generally only bite people when they are put in precarious positions. It was nice to show them this animal up close and in a contained situation and explain a few things about them without the wrongful labelling and hysteria that been unfairly hung upon them.

Is it any wonder snakes are flighty and defensive? People talk about snakes being the killers.......pffffffffffffft.....the figures show it's most definitely the other way around! Funny how we can distort the truth of the matter so conveniently, and to the degree everyone seems to swallow the lie hook, line and sinker!

Does this snake look like a killer in this photograph?
1dog_%28350_x_524%29.jpg

I did a relocation a few weeks ago and removed a rather large tiger snake from a property in the suburb behind me. Once I got this terrified creature into a large plastic tub it settled down quite remarkably and became more curious than anything. I explained to the concerned mother and her wide-eyed and fascinated kids that these animals are more afraid of us than we are of them, and generally only bite people when they are put in precarious positions. It was nice to show them this animal up close and in a contained situation and explain a few things about them without the wrongful labelling and hysteria that been unfairly hung upon them.

Well put and said

Do you have young children? I don't think you would be singing the same song about tigers being "harmless" if your kids or yourself got bitten by one (and not getting medical help, yeah, real harmless). Get off your high horse. As it was said earlier, the dog WAS protecting its "family".

I think he was being sarcastic dude.

I have a child, dogs and obviously work with snakes, however the question now comes, if the same dog "protected" its owner from a person, cat, dog or other "menacing" threat, would the dog be a hero, or a dangerous dog.

While it was doing its job, where is the RSPCA in their role as "all creatures great and small". While a tiger snake is a threat and the dog behaved on instinct to protect, if it was any other animal it would be put down, regardless of perception of the animals, but due to the fact it was a snake, its all good.

People will always state that it is necessary to kill the snake because it could kill me, with that logic, why not crush cars, they could kill me, cut down tree's they could kill me, education is needed and unfortunately this is difficult due to our culture of the only good snake is a dead snake! Look at the real threats to us in society and deal with the ones we can control first......apart from disease, what kills most people in Australia....PEOPLE, not wildlife.

i have a staffy at home and she wont go anywhere near my snakes. shes scared of them. So for people to say that this dog should be put down really gets on my nerves. what if they were your kids and a snake entered your house and the kids accidentally step on it???

I believe the dog was protecting its family and knew the danger they were in. Even if tiger snakes are considered "placid" i still wouldnt want one roaming around my kids.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back