Staffy kills tiger snake in Bannockburn as kids squeal with fear

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we need to give dogs a break in general.

Seriously, how many dogs DO get put down because some smart ****d little kid stands at a fence, hitting it in the face with a stick, and it finally snaps and gives him a chomp? Is that the dog's 'fault?' I would say no!

All animals react based on triggers... Some react 'positively,' and we would call them a good dog. Other's react 'negatively' and we class them as dangerous or put them down.

Don't get me wrong, my heart really does go out to families who have had a dog attack on one of their children... I just think we need to step back and admit that sometimes, it really isn't the dog's fault.

I cringe when I see some of my fellow herpers try to 'defend' their stance on snakes. They get on a forum, or a news article, and proceed to tell everyone in society off, and make stupid statements like 'that dog should be put down.' Guys... SERIOUSLY, you're doing way more harm than good. We should be trying to bridge the gap between herpers and non-herpers, not widen it!!!

I think we need to give dogs a break in general.

Seriously, how many dogs DO get put down because some smart ****d little kid stands at a fence, hitting it in the face with a stick, and it finally snaps and gives him a chomp? Is that the dog's 'fault?' I would say no!

All animals react based on triggers... Some react 'positively,' and we would call them a good dog. Other's react 'negatively' and we class them as dangerous or put them down.

Don't get me wrong, my heart really does go out to families who have had a dog attack on one of their children... I just think we need to step back and admit that sometimes, it really isn't the dog's fault.

I cringe when I see some of my fellow herpers try to 'defend' their stance on snakes. They get on a forum, or a news article, and proceed to tell everyone in society off, and make stupid statements like 'that dog should be put down.' Guys... SERIOUSLY, you're doing way more harm than good. We should be trying to bridge the gap between herpers and non-herpers, not widen it!!!

i couldnt agree more

My stance is not the fact that the dog killed the snake, its that groups like RSPCA will defend the rights of all other animals except reptiles. I have no issue with rural areas having to kill snakes in buildings, as there is no snake catcher around, I do have an issue with people killing snakes because they are snakes...until the attitude of people towards reptiles changes they will continue to get killed....groups like RSPCA have an obligation to educate the public about the fact that all animals have equal rights....this same staffie would have been labeled differently if it had been a cat or person that entered the open door!

The other aspect would be, what if the dog was bitten by the snake, vet bills, possible death, then snakes get a nasty write up. People can, and do train their dogs to alert you to a threat not attack it, we have done this with our dogs, and helped several dog trainers in reptile aversion, this way our pets leave reptiles alone....again....education, not just about snakes, but also education about training the pets we already have!

Last edited:
i think we need to give dogs a break in general.

Seriously, how many dogs do get put down because some smart ****d little kid stands at a fence, hitting it in the face with a stick, and it finally snaps and gives him a chomp? Is that the dog's 'fault?' i would say no!

I cringe when i see some of my fellow herpers try to 'defend' their stance on snakes. They get on a forum, or a news article, and proceed to tell everyone in society off, and make stupid statements like 'that dog should be put down.' guys... Seriously, you're doing way more harm than good. We should be trying to bridge the gap between herpers and non-herpers, not widen it!!!

me too!!

My stance is not the fact that the dog killed the snake, its that groups like RSPCA will defend the rights of all other animals except reptiles.

That's what I also find amusing!

The other amusing thing is how precious the DSE is about the keeping of reptiles, yet couldn't give a yelp about someone bashing an animals head in on Youtube! OMG if you miss a return by a week or so you risk being strung up by the testicles and repeatedly belted with a bread-board! The RSPCA are he greatest toothless tigers when it comes to stuff like this! If it isn't furry or cuddly you might as well slit your own throats!

I wonder how well it would go down if you belt someone staffy to death with a shovel because you felt threatened by it.

I wonder if the roles were reversed and the snake killed the dog, if people would want the snake put down? nature is nature

:lol: I see you Snakehandler! :lol:

Here's my next beauty! (Excuse the regular relocations b/s. I don't relocate too many animals at all ;).....not yet anyways!)

Sorry to say Paul, but people who live on acreage need to get a clue before purchasing these properties. I relocate snakes on a pretty consistent basis. I have met people who have had no experience with snakes who have done relocating courses (off their own backs) so they have become educated and aware of the animals they have to deal with. Sometimes on a weekly basis! To suggest every home needs to arm themselves with a shotgun as protection is the typical hysterical rantings I’d expect from 99 percent of my sadly uneducated and misinformed clients. I do relocation services for next to nothing! My goal is to educate those wanting my help, and that’s against the overwhelming whitewash of hysteria the media constantly spreads about these animals, to give them some form of rational perspective. A shotgun to blow away every possum, kangaroo, snake, lizard and oversized worm isn’t a sustainable answer! It’s quite a primitive and barbaric reaction to something you know nothing about. Typical human behaviour! To be forever fearsome of something that really doesn’t stand a chance against a human being is just as ridiculous! It’s like holding back the tide! Time you got smart and took a plunge in learning a little bit about your surroundings. That’s lesson number one!

You'd be up the creek and labelled a potential serial killer ;)

thats very true, if you kill small animals as a child also you will grow up to be a serial killer, but only if the small animals are fluffy, snakes don't count if you kill them you will grow up as a hero:lol:

if it was the snake killing the dog, I would just say, oh well, maybe they should have left the door shut:lol: I am biased!

thats very true, if you kill small animals as a child also you will grow up to be a serial killer, but only if the small animals are fluffy, snakes don't count if you kill them you will grow up as a hero:lol:

So true... this is from an article on news.com.au just today

"Professor Paul Wilson, a criminologist and forensic psychologist at Bond University, said the torturing, maiming and killing of animals were red flags of someone capable of future violence against people.

My stance is not the fact that the dog killed the snake, its that groups like RSPCA will defend the rights of all other animals except reptiles. I have no issue with rural areas having to kill snakes in buildings, as there is no snake catcher around, I do have an issue with people killing snakes because they are snakes...until the attitude of people towards reptiles changes they will continue to get killed....groups like RSPCA have an obligation to educate the public about the fact that all animals have equal rights....this same staffie would have been labeled differently if it had been a cat or person that entered the open door!

The other aspect would be, what if the dog was bitten by the snake, vet bills, possible death, then snakes get a nasty write up. People can, and do train their dogs to alert you to a threat not attack it, we have done this with our dogs, and helped several dog trainers in reptile aversion, this way our pets leave reptiles alone....again....education, not just about snakes, but also education about training the pets we already have!

My dog will leave all reptiles alone except for maybe a little sniff but not everybody has the time to train or the money to pay for training with there dogs.

I do how ever agree with you on the fact theat that the RSPCA seems to view reptiles differently to other animals.

Im not trying to provoke an argument or anything i just think its absolutely discusting that people are call for the dog to be put down.

Nick

I cringe when I see some of my fellow herpers try to 'defend' their stance on snakes. They get on a forum, or a news article, and proceed to tell everyone in society off, and make stupid statements like 'that dog should be put down.' Guys... SERIOUSLY, you're doing way more harm than good.

I most definately agree with Matt's statement here. It truly does "more damage than good" regarding having the dog put down. We really have to be smarter in our approach.

I wonder how well it would go down if you belt someone staffy to death with a shovel because you felt threatened by it.

Great point... and the sad thing for snakes (and this tiger snake in particular) is that people have the option to simply walk away from a snake. A vicious dog can't be walked away from. People choose NOT to walk away from a snake.

I think the real issue here has nothing to do with the Staffy, or the fact that it killed the snake - the real issue is the way the media over-hypes stories like this, and manipulates fact to get a rise out of the public.

One day, I am sure, we'll live in a world where reptiles are such a major and constant presence in the pet industry that the fear factor slowly subsides. It won't happen in our lifetime... To be blunt, we need our parents, grandparents, children, and children's children to die before these misconceptions can die out with them, and gradually things will change. In the meantime, we need to do our best to be responsible ambassadors.

1. TEACH KidS...... but remeber kids should no wild snakes r not for touching at all...... 2. all animals and reptiles even humans sometimes cant be fully trusted and run on purely instinct.... (dogs dont usally like snakes what should have it done... hide) 3. KNOWLEDGE WORKS! and stuff the media.... cause they rairly get there facts right... bad outcome and publicitly for snakes....

Well that's just a stupid statement isn't it?
Dogs protect their owners from what they perceive as danger... they do it out of love and instinct.
Reptiles are my biggest passion in life, but I don't agree that other animals should be put down for killing them... certainly not in a situation like this.

At least a dog, for the most part, is confined to its own yard. What about all the irresponsible cat owners out there who let their pets roam around all day/night killing native wildlife - birds, reptiles, small mammals etc???

It is never the animal's fault, as they are not capable of examining a situation on the same psychological level as humans. It is usually the owners fault. In this specific example, it was nobody's fault... just an accident.

At least us reptile enthusiasts didn't get even more bad press... If the dog hadn't been around, it might have been a headline like 'Evil, satanic Tiger snake stalks small child, waits for opportune moment, then bites.'

i agree with everything you have said except the bad press. its terrible press the dog is being praised for "saving" its family from an agressive, dangerous snake. ime tigers are actually fairly docile as a general rule. never mind that the media has painted it as if the snake was going to attack the kids all it was doing was crossing the back yard.

Yay for the dog:rolleyes:
Better ring Geelong Advertiser and tell them of the brave dogs and cats that protect us from those mean and nasty blueys, birds etc.
If my dogs did I would stop them firstly because it is bad for the poor snake, and second, what if the dog copped a hit! Antivenom aint cheap.

Edit: Looks like snakehandler has the issue well covered. (long thread have not read it all like I usually do).
Hey, anyone write a letter to the papers editor?

Last edited:
The Tiger Snake has every right to live in their house, these snakes are always placid and harmless, perfectly safe to have freeranging in your house and it was here first, kill that horrible dangerous dog that protected its family. Ranting like a deluded idiot is good fun and gives reptile keepers a good image.

Hahaha.

Although the dog probably wasn't protecting them, it just found a new toy to play with. Either way, it's an animal too.

The fact is. The snake could have and probably would have killed their child. The dog did save their lives.

To the people that think a snake that was going to kill humans has more right to live than a pet dog; you're seriously screwed up. The dog's a pet, if my dog was put down it'd be like losing a family member. It's pathetic to demand it's destruction, it's disgusting.

I honestly didn't think there were so many heartless, disgusting people on this website. But then again, I guess you're just proving the stereotypes of reptile keepers being heartless, satan-worshipping, monsters. Thanks for that guys, you're really helping the hobby out.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back