Staffy kills tiger snake in Bannockburn as kids squeal with fear

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably would have killed the child...where do you get that from, the snake was outside the house, going across the sliding door, if the child was properly educated then there is no risk, with only 2 snake bite deaths on average every year this seems a bit far fetched.

I am not calling for the destruction of the dog, I am simply saying that if this dog attacked anything else it would be deemed a dangerous dog, why make snake the exception. Before you say it, yes snakes kill people, but so do bees and DOGS, both kill an average of 1-2 people every year in Australia, so by the same logic does this mean that when you see a dog, you have the right to kill it because if it gets you it could have and probably would have killed your child!?!?!?!?!

I believe that the dog had every right to defend its house, its family. However the media hype and the ongoing lack of action by animal rights groups such as RSPCA annoy many herp people, if the dog was killed by the snake in this case then it would have been the snakes fault, despite the fact that the dog attacked it. It would be a no win situation for the snake. RSPCA should be encouraging families to do avoidance training with their dogs, this will reduce these sort of situations, we provide our services to several dog trainers in Melbourne for just such training.

i wouldnt say the dog needs to be put down. its instinct in a way for what it had done.

however .........

i would like the dog to turn on the family snap their spines so someone can finish them off with a rake... i suppose that wouldnt be conveyed as heroic and amazing in the media ?

thats a really good article, that slightly puts my faith back into the media.
cheers Dayle

Not portrayed as badly as in the other article. Just goes to show what can happen when there wasn't any fear felt by the kids or the snake. Nothing.
Snake sounds like it enjoyed a massage :)

MY SOLUTION!
Euthanise the dog, lock up the parents, foster care the kids out, then log on to an online Reptile forum and whinge about it while recruiting a group of other biased opinion keepers to follow suit. LOL

I dont understand why everyone feels its the dogs fault! the dog was doing exactly what it was TRAINED and ALLOWED to do!
If I owned a bull dog and TRAINED and ALLOWED it to hunt small children at the park shouldnt I be held responsable for that not the dog!
If I took a hunting dog that hadn't been stock proofed onto a farm and it killed a sheep then its my responsability!
I feel if you think something needs to be put down maybe you should look at the owners

Probably would have killed the child...where do you get that from, the snake was outside the house, going across the sliding door, if the child was properly educated then there is no risk, with only 2 snake bite deaths on average every year this seems a bit far fetched.

I am not calling for the destruction of the dog, I am simply saying that if this dog attacked anything else it would be deemed a dangerous dog, why make snake the exception. Before you say it, yes snakes kill people, but so do bees and DOGS, both kill an average of 1-2 people every year in Australia, so by the same logic does this mean that when you see a dog, you have the right to kill it because if it gets you it could have and probably would have killed your child!?!?!?!?!

I believe that the dog had every right to defend its house, its family. However the media hype and the ongoing lack of action by animal rights groups such as RSPCA annoy many herp people, if the dog was killed by the snake in this case then it would have been the snakes fault, despite the fact that the dog attacked it. It would be a no win situation for the snake. RSPCA should be encouraging families to do avoidance training with their dogs, this will reduce these sort of situations, we provide our services to several dog trainers in Melbourne for just such training.

I never said the dog has more right to live and I know that dogs kill people too. So your sarcastic "logic" is really invalid. I just think that the calls for the dog to be put down are sick. And anyway, I bet you've killed your fair-share of bees. Maybe I should go out and kill a few random snakes to make up up for it.

And honestly, how the hell do you educate a three year old in the proper care and handling of elapids? Of course they weren't properly educated, they're kids for christ sakes.

The dog killed the snake, big deal. Obviously every member of APS is deluded and thinks that no snake ever dies or when they do they're shipped off to a magical land with all the mice they can eat.

Snakes die in the wild, every day. An animal killed an animal, it doesn't deserve to die.

Personally, the people that go out and butcher hundreds of kangaroos for fun, the people that hunt animals for sport - they deserve to die a hell of a lot more than a dog who killed one animal that if in the situation probably would have killed the children, who have no education in venomous snakes, because they're 7, 6 and 3.

If this had been a wallaby or a bird that the dog had killed nobody would care, but it's the almighty, precious reptile so it's all out war on this dog now.

Watch out Zena, the satan-worshipping reptile keepers are after you.

I've seen carnage of a group of birds killed by a snake in an aviary.
It only ate a single pigeon but it killed about 8 others and left them dead on the floor. Euthanise it huh?

And what if that evil dog had of killed an innocent field mouse? Would we be writing up 5 pages of responses about it?

I haven't personally got any issues with the dog, as they sometimes don't know any better than their instinct to protect their family. My issue is with the dumb-smuck redneck property owner who thinks a shotty solves everything! A snake phobia, in my opinion, is a primitive phobia based on an inbred primal fear. I like to think as herpetologists, we're the next step in human evolution ;) :D

I haven't personally got any issues with the dog, as they sometimes don't know any better than their instinct to protect their family. My issue is with the dumb-smuck redneck property owner who thinks a shotty solves everything! A snake phobia, in my opinion, is a primitive phobia based on an inbred primal fear. I like to think as herpetologists, we're the next step in human evolution ;) :D

A good percentage of phobias are irrational.

Naledge, without being there and seeing the situation it think its a pretty big call to say it would have killed someone, even a bite isnt that likely to be fatal(although it would be very nasty). To get bitten something is going to have to make the snake bite, some kids try to colour them in without getting bitten :lol: :shock:

In rural areas a shotty is usually the best thing for dangerous snakes that are in a place where they pose a threat. Its safe, humane and legal. There are plenty of sane decent ppl who shoot snakes, there are also those less than desirable specimens that will just kill any snakes anywhere to be try and look or feel tough or whatever other sick motivation they have.

The dog killed the snake, big deal. Obviously every member of APS is deluded and thinks that no snake ever dies or when they do they're shipped off to a magical land with all the mice they can eat.

:(You mean they don't go to a happy Snake Heaven:cry:... Way to break it to me gently...

Naledge, its simple, no owner no touch...we have been teaching this rule to pre-school children (3 and over) for years with great success. We also need to teach children, freeze and allow the snake to move away...but all of this is easy said, means nothing unless enforced by parents and older siblings.

Its not that the dog killed the snake, its the lack of understanding that people are upset by, reptiles are not treated as animals by the vast majority of people. If the dog killed a wallaby...it would be put down as a dangerous dog, actually if it killed any cute fury animal then it would have been put down as a dangerous dog....I am not saying that the dog should be put down, however people need to understand that if this was any other animal that was killed by the dog then the article would read very differently. Do a google search and look at the different tones of the articles...

I see no need to kill an animal unless there is no alternative...its either food for me, a pet, or it is seriously injured. I am not a greenie, hippie or conservationist, I am a person sick of hearing the old sayings the only good snake is a dead snake, that snakes are going to kill us so we must kill them and other misinformed statements.

Dogs can be trained and are trained to avoid attacking things that they would normally go for, the main reason we would like this to happen is to avoid massive vet bills, avoid watching a pet die a very painful death and of course to avoid having our native wildlife killed, this is commonly called responsible pet ownership. A person can be charged if their pet kills native wildlife, including snakes. That is why our wildlife is protected.

Its not that the dog killed the snake, its the lack of understanding that people are upset by, reptiles are not treated as animals by the vast majority of people. If the dog killed a wallaby...it would be put down as a dangerous dog, actually if it killed any cute fury animal then it would have been put down as a dangerous dog....I am not saying that the dog should be put down, however people need to understand that if this was any other animal that was killed by the dog then the article would read very differently. Do a google search and look at the different tones of the articles...

What if it killed a goldfish or a rat? they are animals too. If it killed any other animal not capable of killing humans it wouldnt be in the news to start with.

People have been prosecuted for inhumane treatment of rats....

But nobody would care.

It seems like the majority of reptile keepers think reptiles are an almighty, holy animal and no other animal compares. That people can kill and be cruel to animals, as long as it's not a reptile. It's disgusting, the way people talk about this dog, the way they talk about cats. It's only promoting the stereotypes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back