Staffy kills tiger snake in Bannockburn as kids squeal with fear

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Naledge if you actually look through the majority of people who are reptile lovers they will tell you that a pet is a pet, regardless of its type, it is our responsibility as pet owners to ensure our pets do not interact with native wildlife as much as possible...again its call responsible pet ownership......I agree this dog does not deserve to be put down, but it should be pointed out that the killing of any animal by a pet is not acceptable and the dog should not be labeled a hero!

I shouldnt matter if people care about what prosecutions there are, but that all animals are treated with respect, our pets have NO reason to interact with wildlife and should always be trained not to. No-one thinks that the reptiles are better than others and have more rights, but it is fact that the general population believe reptiles have less rights than animals with fur, hence the reason herpers get over the top with people accepting the inhuman killing of reptiles and how people and animals are regarded as heros when they kill snakes and cruel potential serial killers when they kill any other animal!

Naledge if you actually look through the majority of people who are reptile lovers they will tell you that a pet is a pet, regardless of its type, it is our responsibility as pet owners to ensure our pets do not interact with native wildlife as much as possible...again its call responsible pet ownership......I agree this dog does not deserve to be put down, but it should be pointed out that the killing of any animal by a pet is not acceptable and the dog should not be labeled a hero!

I shouldnt matter if people care about what prosecutions there are, but that all animals are treated with respect, our pets have NO reason to interact with wildlife and should always be trained not to. No-one thinks that the reptiles are better than others and have more rights, but it is fact that the general population believe reptiles have less rights than animals with fur, hence the reason herpers get over the top with people accepting the inhuman killing of reptiles and how people and animals are regarded as heros when they kill snakes and cruel potential serial killers when they kill any other animal!

I know it shouldn't be called a hero.

But in this thread the majority of people want this dog to be killed, they want a family pet to be destroyed.

The majority of people on this forum would kill people's pet cats if given the chance.

I'm not just talking about pets here either, a lot of members here are hunters. I'm sure most believe spotlighting kangaroos is fun.

But, if I came on and said "OMG DUDES I JUST KILLED THIS HARDCORE SNAKE CHECK THE PIX" the forum would probably be shut down for a while because of all the hate.

I don't see what gives snakes more right to live than kangaroos, ducks, birds, dogs, cats... any other animal in the world.

Most members here are incredibly biased, killing any animal for fun is heartless. Wishing death upon a family pet for it's instinct is just disgusting.

There was a thread on here a few weeks ago of a guy that killed a cat because it went into his backyard, the majority of people thought he was a hero and praised him saying they would do the same thing. Does that mean if a snake comes into my backyard I can kill it? Or let my dog kill it?

I know it's different because cats are introduced; kangaroos are native. Yet I'm sure a lot of people here have had a jolly old time massacring them for crossing "their" property.

yes many dogs are far more dangerous to children than timid tigersnakes as are reversing drivers and pools kids drown in

The majority of people on this forum would kill people's pet cats if given the chance.

No thats the RSPCA's job, i wouldnt kill anyone's pet, but i would take them them in for the RSPCA to do it. If someone else has a cat (or any other animal) that keeps coming in their yards killing their own pets and/or wildlife on their own property i wouldnt judge them for killing it, personally i would trap it and take it to the RSPCA as i just said, but each to their own.

A feral cat is a diffferant story, its a legal requirement to kill them if they are on your property(in QLD at least) so its against site rules for me to say you shouldnt kill them. Many talking about hating cats are refering mainly to feral cats (well i hope), as they are the ones that cause the most damage.

I completely agree with naledge well said;) if a tiger snake came into my backyard anywhere near a child of mine and i wasnt there (for any reason) to relocate the snake then i would be more then happy for my staffy to kill it to protect my kid. From what im hearing from some people on this forum is that its fine for there child to be put in danger with a tiger snake and potentially bitten and killed but just as long as the snake leaves happy and healthy! Some people are just blind with their animal rights beliefs and fail to understand the basic instinct of animals. i would hate to kill any snake if i didn't have to, but given the extreme situation where a family member of mine is in immediate danger i would be more then happy to. Surely a dead snake is better then a dead child! I think some people need to wake up to themselves...

Last edited:
Read the article again...the snake was at the door, not in the house, it was not a direct threat, the children could have moved to another room....personally that is not the issue...its the label hero dog that gets me....dog defend family from tiger snake just wont sell papers....hero dog saves family from menacing tiger snake, this will sell and yet does not speak of the true nature of snakes. I have seen a brown snake sitting watching a group of children who had sat around it without realising...it did not attack, it did not pose a threat, the children moved away slowely from it and the snake was caught....our pets (dogs and cats) are more likely to create a threatening situation, hence responsible ownership, training is the key!

In rural areas a shotty is usually the best thing for dangerous snakes that are in a place where they pose a threat. Its safe, humane and legal. There are plenty of sane decent ppl who shoot snakes, there are also those less than desirable specimens that will just kill any snakes anywhere to be try and look or feel tough or whatever other sick motivation they have.

Well it's really the most care-free way of getting rid of a potentially deadly animal isn't it? I mean, you just have to aim and shoot...easy! I don't know who I'm trying to kid when it comes to snake conservation. We're dealing with many of these "country-style-folk" who've been brought up via generation upon generation of "a good snake is a dead snake" attitudes and a failure to adapt to anything even slightly contrary. Sometimes we can’t bridge the great divide between ourselves and these sorts of people. We have the media flying the typical fear-mongering flag, plus ignorance and a tidal wave of other negative factors against us, so I’m probably stupid and ignorant myself when I think any message I preach will sink into their tiny, self-centred brains. Some people out there are trying though, they ring a relocator, they take the steps in understanding the fact that we actually share this planet with other animals.

The thing I don’t get is this. Why the hell should anyone else out there give a damn about the high moral attitudes of government bodies like the DSE and NPSW and their ranting of animal conservation and laws when they aren’t prepared to put the money where their mouths are??? Arm local parks rangers with the knowledge and ability to deal with the animals in their jurisdiction! They should be able to deal with call-outs 9-5 and then have residents reimbursed by councils should others be called outside those times!! These government bodies want (demand) that people do the right thing, but expect many struggling bush families to cough up the extravagant relocation fees that some people seem to charge! I can tell people for a fact, if I was getting 4 and 5 snakes on my property each week, or fortnight, or even monthly…and I disliked or didn’t understand them, I’d be taking to them with whatever I had at my disposal! Gun, stick, rake, dog…anything! I couldn’t afford a $1000 worth of call-outs! And we all know how many people get prosecuted killing these things each year don’t we? Nobody!

Ps: Don’t forget to put your returns in! They’ll send the DSE swat team over to kick down your doors and issue you with the mother of all fines! (not that its happened to me, but look at the double standard!). Food for thought! ;)

This is far too common unfortunately :(
Introduced species killing native wildlife is bad enough, then being praised for it...
Sigh..

Wonders to all that lay claim that if they had a venomous snake in their yard ..and their child was in the same yard at the same time playing happily untill all the commotion started and they watched their beloved pet dog attack the snake and unfortunantly cop a few tags to the mouth and else where ..
ended up with a dying snake and a dying dog ...all because of the WHAT IF SENARIO ...
much easier and better for all concerned to actually take your child indoors ,restrain your dog and allow the snake to move on ..that way everything WINS ....

How many that take their children to the beach for a days swimming ,take along a spear gun or dog to kill that shark that could be lingering in the water only meters away from your playing squealing children ???
Dogs will act on instinct this is true ...but so will snakes under threat ....your job as the smarter human is to try and prevent it, not encourage it .

Last edited:
Well it's really the most care-free way of getting rid of a potentially deadly animal isn't it?

Yeah that was my point, getting some one to drive a few hundred k's would be likey cause road kill, apart form being a waste of time and probably a few hundred dollars (unless the snake is an endagered species). I personally have more of an issue with those that mow their lawns and kill innocent garden skinks, i must admit i mow my lawn, although i do take 10 times longer in the warmer months to save a few hundred frogs and skinks(even if getting rid out their habitat kills them indirectly i get a warm fuzzy feeling like a snake relocator does).

I guess the best option would be for everyone in a rural area to learn to handle snakes and get a DMP, cant see it happening on a large scale though.

Last edited:
I know that as a herp owner its sad to see a snake killed but the dog done as it was suppose to, I have a large dog and no one thought it did wrong when it killed another dog that came into our yard where my kids were as it had done its job i have it to protect my home and my family they are very smart at reading a situation as we have many pets from mice to goats and rabbits and he has never halmed anything that wouldn't be taken as a theat

A staffy ran out from a house and attacked my dog the other day... she sent it packing poste haste, yelping and with its tail between its legs!!

Last edited:
Naledge your a TOOL.

do you have any knowledge on why and what roo's are shot for, a license is needed in order to do so and the roo is taken to the boxes for pet meat ect. it's a conservative way to keep an ever growing population in check as in many areas they are in plaige poportions, and i would and have quite happily gone hunt feral game for fun and to do my part in dropping a feral animal population. just cos i've killed a feral cat or pig doesn't mean i'm going to kill my neighbours cat or a farmers pig. the dog did what many dogs will do when their owners are screaming, kill the percieved threat... Snakehandler has covered this subject very well imo and so have many other herpers. a snake is easily avoided and this tiger in paricular was traveling along the tracks of the door.
it had no intention of killing the kids or parents as no snake ever does. had the animal have gone inside the house it would have more than likely ended up finding a place for cover as the family would have done something to make it react to their presence and got out of danger. highly unlikely that it would have bit anyone so long as they did all the right things and the dog wouldn't have been at risk of getting bit either.

when i grew up in north queensland we had numerous indoor encounters with snakes, all pythons and tree-snakes and one eastern brown that was between the screne door and timber door but none of them were there for the purpose of killing my parents and brothers, they were there for the cover and hunting frogs we often had come into my bedroom for the day. and all incedent free indoor encounters...

it's all about education and "openmindedness" cos seriously they aren't as horrible and nasty as many think.

:rolleyes:and why'd did you have to kill snakey heaven for us all, it's true there is a snakey heaven, just has to be:lol:

Last edited:
well, you cant blame people for beong scared. before i developed a hobby for snakes (for lack of a better word) I was scared of snakes. The fear of snakes is natural and built into your brain. well, not the snake, but the snakes shape and the way it moves.

yeah i to had a fear as well due to my families view on them, but people are pig headed on whatever the issue. but if there is education it is at least a start and with more people getting interested in the hobby, it shows a bit of our efforts is paying off to some small degree... all my friends say i have no fear and should give up my day job to work with dangerous animals now, when really i just found a deep respect for these amazingly beautiful creatures, and it honestly isn't fear that we have, it's a lack of respect for these magnificent animals, it's lack of respect and understanding that drives our fear. if it can potentially hurt or kills us we hate it's existance.

all that has to be done is turn the disrespect, misconceptions, and lack of understanding around to just simple respect of the animal for what it is and is capable of if we mess with them in order to leave it at a distance and let it go on it's way or get someone that can relocate the animal alive.

also take these animals out of the equation you take out a vital food chain species so something else feathery or fury will suffer that preys on reptiles. everything impacts something else. so there is more reasons to save them other than just saving snakes

do you have any knowledge

I would assume so! Otherwise my username would just be plain silly!

a license is needed in order to do so and the roo is taken to the boxes for pet meat ect. it's a conservative way to keep an ever growing population in check as in many areas they are in plaige poportions

You naivety worries me. Most farmers don't care about licenses. I've heard stories, from many people.

Sorry to burst your safety bubble, but they do have a jolly good time hacking injured roos to death with hatchets.

and i would and have quite happily gone hunt feral game for fun and to do my part in dropping a feral animal population. just cos i've killed a feral cat or pig doesn't mean i'm going to kill my neighbours cat or a farmers pig.

Still an animal. Hey here's an idea, let's go out and kill all the immigrants!! They're here from other countries, they're changing (not ruining) our society and economy, like feral animals are changing (not ruining) our ecosystem!

(Note, I wasn't serious about the immigrant killing. I find that (slightly) more disgusting than killing animals. And I love animals, sarcasm isn't meant to offend. So sorry to any immigrants, I love you all <3)

it had no intention of killing the kids or parents as no snake ever does.

Wait, so dogs can have the intention to kill but not snakes? Either you're admitting snakes are pretty darn stupid creatures, or you're being incredibly biased. Like most reptile owners... you listen to death metal don't you?

had the animal have gone inside the house it would have more than likely ended up finding a place for cover

Or it would have killed the crying two year old. Hell I'd crap myself if I saw a tiger snake in my house, there is no way in hell you can get a two year old child to act rationally around a venomous snake.

Will you take the risk when you have kids? Frankly, if you're ever in that position, I'm hoping you aren't, but if you ever are, I pray that you have a dog there to save your child. Because you would obviously let the thing crawl over your kids and bite them if it wanted to, the Almighty reptile, no child could ever compare huh?

it's all about education and "openmindedness" cos seriously they aren't as horrible and nasty as many think.

Who are you to preach open mindedness? You, like 90% of other reptile enthusiasts, don't give a crap about an animal without scales.

I dont understand what the owners have done wrong, the dog was inside and responded to the families screams of terror saw a snake at the door and killed it.
Its not like they were in bushland, it was there home. How many dog owners do you know that let there dog roam their house and or yard, are you going to flame them for all the creatures their dogs kill that stumble into its territory?. What the dog did was instinct just like a snakes instinct to strike when cornered.
Besides the dog would have attacked before anyone could have stopped it (and by the sounds of it the mother and kids attempted to call the dog off) so all the owners could do afterwards is think what if the dog wasn't there, the snake may have come inside, the kid saw it and without realizing the danger cornered the snake and got bitten and very likely could have died.
Im not looking for an argument this is jmo and it doesnt mean i agree with how it was publicised

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back