Staffy kills tiger snake in Bannockburn as kids squeal with fear

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And if the dog was bitten by the snake when it acted instinctively then the snake was at fault? I agree the dog didn't do anything wrong and shouldn't be put down, it acted on it's instinct, however it is possible to train dogs to allert to danger and not attack it, we are involved in aversion training in parts of Melbourne to stop this style of interaction, not just as a reptile enthusiast but also as a breeder of dogs.....the last thing I want is to see on of my dogs bitten.

When my dogs see reptiles they alert us they are around, they do not attempt to bite it ever, the same goes for anything strange....they will only bite if they are threatened directly or we instruct them to

Btw this does not mean I would trust the dogs 100% either, they are animals....people are supervised around them

I would assume so! Otherwise my username would just be plain silly!

it very well should be, i'd get an infraction if i called you what you actually are...

You naivety worries me. Most farmers don't care about licenses. I've heard stories, from many people.

you are plain silly if your stupid enough to think i'm that naive, of course i know what a majority of farmers and some people do...

Sorry to burst your safety bubble, but they do have a jolly good time hacking injured roos to death with hatchets.

i've cut them up for crab bait when i was a pro crabber. but i wouldn't have had boned roo carcasses to use for my crab pots if they were'nt shot by a shooter. does that make me sick and twisted

Still an animal. Hey here's an idea, let's go out and kill all the immigrants!! They're here from other countries, they're changing (not ruining) our society and economy, like feral animals are changing (not ruining) our ecosystem!

yeah changing in a bad way, i've also flogged toads, last i checked they weren't furry... (talking about the animals.) can't change the immigration thing, it happens worldwide.

(Note, I wasn't serious about the immigrant killing. I find that (slightly) more disgusting than killing animals. And I love animals, sarcasm isn't meant to offend. So sorry to any immigrants, I love you all <3)

why would you say it unless you think it. and the way you rag us keepers i think you should just bugger off cos you have no useful input and you are somewhat antisocial

Wait, so dogs can have the intention to kill but not snakes? Either you're admitting snakes are pretty darn stupid creatures, or you're being incredibly biased. Like most reptile owners... you listen to death metal don't you?

death metal, ok thats news to me to, no i don't. no offence to those that do but i hate the crap. so i'd stop generalising... now i said that snakes don't go looking for people to just to bite a person (you are naive if you think that), not in thier nature, nor is it in dogs or any other animal in that fact. why would a snake want to waste it's vemon on us when we can't be consumed. stop getting your info off "snakes on a plane" and "anaconda" or any oother false snake movie for that fact.

Or it would have killed the crying two year old. Hell I'd crap myself if I saw a tiger snake in my house, there is no way in hell you can get a two year old child to act rationally around a venomous snake.

yeah most people wouldn't, and i can somewhat understand why they are killed inside a house. but just cos it is there doesnt mean it's going to chase and bite you. or sit under your couch and amush you cos it has some new instint to kill all humans.all that everyone who keeps and relocates vens is saying is that it wasnt there to kill anyone and more than likely wouldn't have

Will you take the risk when you have kids? Frankly, if you're ever in that position, I'm hoping you aren't, but if you ever are, I pray that you have a dog there to save your child. Because you would obviously let the thing crawl over your kids and bite them if it wanted to, the Almighty reptile, no child could ever compare huh?

again you are the bluntest tool in the shed. i have three tigers inside my house constanly and have for some time, me nor my friends or fiance have been bit and nor will they. i may one day but i can tell you it will be purely accident. my kids wont have an IRRATIONAL Fear of them either and will know not to touch a snake that isn't being held by myself... the reason a fear of snakes is irrational and not primal is because it is a fear that is purely learn't and can be unlearned. when we're born humans dont have a natural fear of them, they learn it through an experience or from surrounding factors, ie. parents and family.....
also my reptiles are under lock and key and we would have a dog like i've had many in the past, some of wich are natural snake killers that were trained easily to not be around my and wild reptiles.

Who are you to preach open mindedness? You, like 90% of other reptile enthusiasts, don't give a crap about an animal without scales.

you know me and so many other reptile entousiast so well don't you....:lol::lol::lol: again cant call you what i want to call you so use your imagination cos you wont be far off...
i keep furry and feathered animals also and all of them have just as much respect as i have for reptiles. i'm an enthousiast of all native wildlife for your information, just reptiles and birds are my most favourite so get off your soap box. if this had of been one of those menacing rabid koalas i would be saying all the same. all animals act on defence, just depends on what triggers that response. but us being alive doesn't do it for reptiles...

you don't don't deserve any further comment from me and don't twist my words again...

it begs the question as to why your on this site as it seems obvious that you hate reptiles and thier keepers.....

again you are the bluntest tool in the shed. i have three tigers inside my house constanly and have for some time, me nor my friends or fiance have been bit and nor will they.

if your talking about in a tank then that doesn't really compair to naledge's coment or this topic of the thread for that matter and if theres wild tigersnakes roaming your house like implied then who are you to be calling someone a tool???

do you have any knowledge on why and what roo's are shot for, a license is needed in order to do so and the roo is taken to the boxes for pet meat ect. it's a conservative way to keep an ever growing population in check

Its pretty naive to think all roo's are shot under licence!!
I know people that shoot them for dog food
I also know people that shoot them for fun

I dont understand what your attack on naledge was in the first place but your coments seem a little uneducated

P.S we dont have any menacing rabid koalas LOL

again you are the bluntest tool in the shed. i have three tigers inside my house constanly and have for some time, me nor my friends or fiance have been bit and nor will they.

if your talking about in a tank then that doesn't really compair to naledge's coment or this topic of the thread for that matter and if theres wild tigersnakes roaming your house like implied then who are you to be calling someone a tool???

of course they're in a tank but they are often sunned like my pythons

do you have any knowledge on why and what roo's are shot for, a license is needed in order to do so and the roo is taken to the boxes for pet meat ect. it's a conservative way to keep an ever growing population in check

not naive, i know people like that myself, but majority is under licence. just cos you know someone thgat shoots them for said reasons doesn't make it majority

I dont understand what your attack on naledge was in the first place but your coments seem a little uneducated

not ok for me to have a go at someones uneducated comments but alright for them to bag out everyone else here, even them with educated comments..... ok then:rolleyes: a little hypocritical....

P.S no ****:rolleyes:, just like we don't have menacing rabid snakes:lol: but wild koala's can be quite defensive if approached or cornered to, but people wont believe this cos they're cute and fluffy, did you know they feel nothing remotely like soft and fluffy.
so love how some people just don't get it and don't understand sarcasm.

...:lol::lol:

you know me and so many other reptile entousiast so well don't you....:lol::lol::lol: again cant call you what i want to call you so use your imagination cos you wont be far off...
i keep furry and feathered animals also and all of them have just as much respect as i have for reptiles. i'm an enthousiast of all native wildlife for your information, just reptiles and birds are my most favourite so get off your soap box. if this had of been one of those menacing rabid koalas i would be saying all the same. all animals act on defence, just depends on what triggers that response. but us being alive doesn't do it for reptiles...

you don't don't deserve any further comment from me and don't twist my words again...

it begs the question as to why your on this site as it seems obvious that you hate reptiles and thier keepers.....

I don't hate reptiles and their keepers, I hate people that kill animals. I hate people that want animals to be killed. Unless it's for food.

And I'm not that anti-social, but I tend to be a little bit when people attack me for my opinions. Especially considering my opinion was a positive one, to not kill the dog. What's wrong with that?

Oh and if part of your sig's about me, I've kept seven native animals, five were reptiles. I will have more when I move out though. So I wouldn't call me a non-wildlife keeper.

Hehe thank you xD

And I dunno, I have seen a few videos of some angry koalas, vicious little things.

Still an animal. Hey here's an idea, let's go out and kill all the immigrants!! They're here from other countries, they're changing (not ruining) our society and economy, like feral animals are changing (not ruining) our ecosystem!

Um... what?

Um... what?

I know they're killing our native animals. But they're just changing, not killing, the ecosystem. In 100 years we could have a completely different ecosystem. Different animals, different plants. It could be better, it could be worse.

But, there is really nothing we can do about it. It's already changing so rapidly and it's out of our control.

The animals in our country now were not all here five-hundred years ago, things gradually change. It's the way the world is, well, at-least that's what I believe. As animals evolve, so do ecosystems. They change, they adapt.

For better or worse our environment is changing, there isn't much we can do about it. But we don't know for sure that it's such a terrible thing.

The introduced animals could evolve and adapt to Australian conditions, eventually creating different animals. Our natives could evolve to be immune to can toad toxins.

We just have to let nature take it's course.

that dogs deserves a medal.

its doing what loyal Canine's and what staffy's do best! protecting its family!
if that dog gets put down, ill make a effin uproar, staffy's are the best breed of dog, no doubt! i love them to death and DO NOT want to see this dog put down for killing a snake that would of possibely killed them!

Oh and if part of your sig's about me, I've kept seven native animals, five were reptiles. I will have more when I move out though. So I wouldn't call me a non-wildlife keeper.

nah it wasn't it was all those outside the hobby that rag keepers out for saying snakes have rights and are protect to. but not everyone believes so.

I know they're killing our native animals. But they're just changing, not killing, the ecosystem. In 100 years we could have a completely different ecosystem. Different animals, different plants. It could be better, it could be worse.

But, there is really nothing we can do about it. It's already changing so rapidly and it's out of our control.

The animals in our country now were not all here five-hundred years ago, things gradually change. It's the way the world is, well, at-least that's what I believe. As animals evolve, so do ecosystems. They change, they adapt.

For better or worse our environment is changing, there isn't much we can do about it. But we don't know for sure that it's such a terrible thing.

The introduced animals could evolve and adapt to Australian conditions, eventually creating different animals. Our natives could evolve to be immune to can toad toxins.

We just have to let nature take it's course.

with all due respect I think you just lost the plot with this crap. The ferals need to be eliminated to the extent that that is possible.

By resigning to the conclusion that ferals belong in Australia it shows a persons understanding of how ecosystems function, changes are natural, migration is natural, however what we have done is not part of this process, that said, what Naledge, what knowledge of venomous snakes do you have? What experience have you got with them?

Yes people kill for fun, they kill native animals....if caught they get prosecuted for animal cruelty, if the animal has fur. No one here is under any illusion otherwise, however this does not condone the actions of killing reptiles without reason. In the news we hear of people clubbing mammals to death, they are monsters, then clubbing snakes and they are heros, why, because the squeaky wheel gets the grease, as we educated more people, more people will care. It is not an eye for an eye, the dog does not deserve to die, but if this dog mauled any other native, it would be destroyed for doing what comes naturally, it needs to be trained....and the owners (like many others) properly educated.

a simple analysis of hospital admission records would undoubtedly demonstrate that dangerous dogs do more damage to children than timid tigers...

perhaps its because the numbers of dangerous dogs far outweigh the number of snakes

I don't think the dog should be put down, it's not going to bring the tiger back is it?
That said, I think the parents deserve a smack around the ear. I wont be surprised if that dog is bitten by a snake one day, they're reinforcing it's behaviour by using the dead snake as a toy. It's going to chase any small thing it sees now.
Good thing they called the vet to check what snake bite symptoms are, my guess is that they'll see them soon enough. Morons.

Last edited:
By resigning to the conclusion that ferals belong in Australia it shows a persons understanding of how ecosystems function, changes are natural, migration is natural, however what we have done is not part of this process, that said, what Naledge, what knowledge of venomous snakes do you have? What experience have you got with them?

Yes people kill for fun, they kill native animals....if caught they get prosecuted for animal cruelty, if the animal has fur. No one here is under any illusion otherwise, however this does not condone the actions of killing reptiles without reason. In the news we hear of people clubbing mammals to death, they are monsters, then clubbing snakes and they are heros, why, because the squeaky wheel gets the grease, as we educated more people, more people will care. It is not an eye for an eye, the dog does not deserve to die, but if this dog mauled any other native, it would be destroyed for doing what comes naturally, it needs to be trained....and the owners (like many others) properly educated.

People are animals too, a bird carrying a parasite from one country to another is like a human carrying an animal from one country to another right?

I never said I had experience with venomous snakes haha, asking random questions for no reason gets us nowhere. And I don't believe I questioned your information on venomous snakes. I questioned your thoughts on humans, but then again, what experience do you have with psychology and the way a two year old child's mind (even if educated) would react around a venomous snake. Being a reptiles keeper, I know more about reptiles than most people who don't keep, but I'd probably freak out if I saw a ven in my house too. It's up to the individual, it's not just a matter of if they're educated or not. I know I'm perfectly safe in a plane, I still crap myself when I fly. I know that when my snake bites me it doesn't hurt, I still flinch every time he strikes.

It's about the way the individual's mind works, not just their education.

I agree with you though, it is wrong for people to kill reptiles and be called heroes, it's wrong for them to kill reptiles at all. But, a lot of members here think reptiles are above all others and would condone, or even partake in, the killing of an animal if it wasn't a reptile.

That is what I have a problem with.

As you're saying, most people do hate reptiles and would kill them, and do kill them, nobody does a thing. That's disgusting. BUT, it's also disgusting for so many reptile keepers, 'animal lovers' to want this dog dead, to think it's okay to kill any animal if it's not a reptile. It's just as bad.

That's all I've been trying to say, my main point was just that I am utterly disgusted with the amount of people that want the dog to be put down. Especially since most of them would call themselves animal lovers, when in actuality they're biased and cruel.

Naledge, given a science degree and a teaching diploma, having worked in education for years, I do believe that I have a very good understanding of childhood development and learning. You have made several rash statements with a clear lack of understanding of animal behaviour and the responsibility involved in pet ownership. The question to you experience with venomous snakes is directly linked to your statements about the behaviour of snakes, it is not random at all.

Given this is a reptile forum, what do you expect, that reptile lovers will put other animals first.....that would be like going to a dog forum and wondering why these people think dogs are above all others!!!!

Naledge, whilst it's technically true that the ecosystem will survive, its obviously, morally, the right thing to try to keep it in its most natural state as possible. Since humans stuffed up most of the system, the onus is on us to try to repair it as much as we can- I don't accept that we should sit back and say, "well, it's too far gone" as you suggest.
In addition, I don't know about you, but I certainly don't consider cats and foxes and viable replacement for tazzie devils, northern hairy-nosed wombats or echidnas, nor do I think Indian mynahs are an acceptable replacement for our lovely parrots and finches. You say the ecosystem could possibly improve. I suggest that, given that Australia's age and isolation lead it to have so many endemic and unique animals, passively allowing the domestic, dime-a-dozen animals found the world-over to replace our rare natives will leave us and our kids with a far less interesting natural heritage.

Well said "mouse" ..... our responsibility lies with keeping Australia's wildlife intact, not accepting feral domestic pets to take a good foothold, but regardless of that, we have a greater responsibility towards responsible pet ownership, ensuring that all pets are kept safely and not permitted to attack people or native wildlife, this includes our beloved reptiles.

What ****s me the most is the "menacing tiger snake". If that was the neighbors cat it would be considered the "neighbors poor cat mauled by vicious dog". The dogs being territiorial, thats what they do. The snake is simply moving, funnily enough something that a real life, living animal might sometimes do. Both are acting naturally. Then the media hypes it up casting a negative light on the snake. This condones the killing of snakes because they are "menacing". By the same logic i should shoot and kill the next johovas witness who harasses me as they were actually engaging in personal discussion. Far more menacing than just moving. In fact i'd be hailed a hero for saving my family and neighbors from the agony of politely declining interest in there religion. For crying out loud all the poor animal was doing was moving from point a to point b. It can't even see properly past 1.2 metres.

It makes me sick.
The fact that the RSPCA are loving this storey makes me sick.
The fact that the RSPCA don't care makes me sick.
"All creatures great and small" my ****. Your nothing but a bunch of media hungry hypocrits.

This storey has added insult to injury in the fight against the unfair persecution of our truly unique elapids.

But nobody would care.

It seems like the majority of reptile keepers think reptiles are an almighty, holy animal and no other animal compares. That people can kill and be cruel to animals, as long as it's not a reptile. It's disgusting, the way people talk about this dog, the way they talk about cats. It's only promoting the stereotypes.

Im sorry mate, but I would like to encourage you to read through the posts prior to this one and read how many people are saying that the dog should be mistreated as a result of this incident. I can see one... and another that may be interpreted either way, I think you may be making generalisations based on your imagination, rather than what has actually been said.

You have made some very good points, butIi would stop repeating that a majority of herp enthusiasts are disgusting mammal haters(with cult inferences too). I think you'll find that most herp keepers also have dogs and some have cats and that they are equal part of the family to their herps. A lot of people, not just herp enthusiasts believe in the nationwide culling of feral exotics though, because its good for our contry in the long run. but that the issue really being raised in the thread is how can we get past the notion that "the only good snake is a dead snake" and how the media seems to be doing its best to drive our success in educating the public backwards.

For the record, my oppinion on the topic is that the dog is a dog, it didnt know any better, it should have been trained better, but the owners probably didnt anticipate a tiger snake appearing in the back yard. i believe that all dog owners should train their dogs to alert, not to kill the native wildlife. also that in this particular incident, although they were trying their bloody hardest to make it sound like the snake was being threatening, it was passing through and could have been dealt with properly... by the diligent parents supervising their kids, or at least close enough to respond if the kids are freaking out.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back