Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jessieJEALOUSY

Reaction score
It all started yesterday, I found my Thick-Tailed gecko, dead in his enclosure, Needless to say, i was in total hysterics, im talking like, panic attack X feinting. I just got so emotional over it.

i was supposed to go into work that night, except i wouldnt have trusted my self to pour a glass of water, let alone drive the car into work, deal with customers, then drive home again. I asked mum to ring in sick for me, i couldnt breathe long enough to even think about talking about it.
Mum then asked me what she was to say as the reason for me not going to work, i was like, 'just tell them the truth?!' to which her response was 'What, tell them your lizard died?! Sorry Jessica, but seriously, thats not really a good enough reason.'

I was totally speechless over this D:
if it had been my dog or cat, im sure it would have been worthy enough.

I ended up going to work today, and when asked why i didnt come in last night, i told them the truth, i cop'd so much crap for it, they all laughed and jeered.
i was crying again in no time.

Just cause my "lizard" wasnt furry, or interactive like a dog or cat, doesnt mean i didnt have an attachment to it. I loved it as much, if not more, than what i love my dog.

I just found it really unfair and unjust that both co-workers and management we're having a good laugh at this. I felt like i couldnt even take it up with someone higher because they would have just laughed to.

-deep breath-

Iuno, it just hurt more that everyone got a good laugh out of it. While i was really REALLY upset over it. I didnt wanna rant to anyone else, i thought you guys might understand. :)

/endrant.

i would be the exact same as you. but i cant belive how people act like that. i feel the same. oh my dog died. oh thats ok. oh my lizard died. hahah. thats not right. so over people treating reptiles like they are a joke. btw i like reptiles better than k9's and felines. any1 else agree.
oh btw i love my dog. i love my reptiles more:D

I agree with your mum. A dog or a cats not enough reason either. Get to work.

i love my dog but my reptiles are better when my lizard died i was devo my bother found out what happend called up his friends and they all laughed at me

"btw i like reptiles better than k9's and felines. any1 else agree."

yep totaly agree...i prefer to own reptiles over dogs or cats....
don't get me wrong..i love my dogs to death but i find it easier to look after reptiles than my dogs....

also agree with it not being enough of an excuse to take a night off work...even if my dog died i wouldn't take a night off work...be really upset but still go into work.....

it is horrible that people were laughing, i would just turn around and tell your manager that they're not being very professional laughing at someone so upset

I would react the exact same as you so dont worry... people that dont own reptiles just dont understand that its like their dog or cat is to them

I am so sorry to hear about your loss and BIG HUGS... I hope that makes you feel a tiny bit better :(

Thanks guys, I know that its probably not a good enough reason to take a night off work, and if mum had been able to drive me in i would have gone.
i just didnt trust myself to drive into work alone. I only got my P's a week ago, and the car has been broken down the whole time, it only got fixed on Thursday, so i havent had much driving experience alone.

yeah i would have said the same thing to management....it isnt professional for them to do that and would have contacted the union if you have one...or someone higher....

I own reptiles and i still dont understand?

I dont know whats worse, the fact your 17 years old or its a Gecko..

Be strong, you will come through this difficult time.

I own reptiles and i still dont understand?

I dont know whats worse, the fact your 17 years old or its a Gecko..

Be strong, you will come through this difficult time.

You cruel heartless woman.

I think everyone reacts differently in these situations. When I was 17 I would be shattered when a pet died, it just didn't go down well with me at all. Now I have better composure, but I wouldn't downplay anyone elses' feelings. When I was 17 I had a mouse that was tamed, he came when I called him and you could scratch his tummy and he'd just sit there. Then he got sick and one day while I was holding him he had a little heart attack and died. I cried for 3 days and was SHATTERED. Now if it happened my heart would sink but I wouldn't get as emotional as that.
Some people value their pets differently, can keept their composure better and don't quite have that emotional attachment that others have. Just because one person thinks it's no big deal doesn't mean that another person doesn't have a right to be upset. When you have cared for something and it dies you can feel as though it's all your fault, what could you have done so it never happened, you wish they'd come back.
Some people just need to have a bit of heart. Of course we need to move on from these things eventually, but in your own time.

So sorry to hear about your gex, jessie. Losing a friend is always difficult.

I'm sorry to hear that your co-workers weren't very understanding. I'm sorry to say, babe, but once you hit the workforce, there's not much leniency towards taking sickies because you're upset your pet died. Even if it was your dog, it doesn't justify someone else having to take over your workload/the company losing money/making everyone else's job harder etc. Let alone for a lizard.

That's not to downplay how bad you feel, but it's just not the way it works in real life. But I think if you were that upset and couldn't be consoled and don't , as yet, have much driving experience, then you made the right decision not to drive on your own. Next time, tell them you've got a migraine.

I had a day off school when my first pet died, not a cat or dog, a frog. The next day i got the same stuff you did. It just doesn't seem right.

here goes my rant : Tactical reponse group rock up at my house all antsy, telling me they have sufficient reason to search my house for firearms because there was a report of me showing a gun out my car window?? Anyway after all the searching they find a machete out the back, which is apparently 'carrying an offensive weapon', so i get arrested and taken to lockup for a few hours.

That sucks ***.

Im sorry to hear about your loss. I feel bad for you and totally understand how you are feeling..i have a dog, cat, budgies and a snake, and i love them all to death, as do my children. i would be totally devestated if anything was to happen to any of them.. you will be ok. And good on you for recognizing that you were unable to drive your car, due to not having much experience.. well done.. you are mature enough to make a very hard decision. Your mum should be very proud.. good luck to you.. and as for those terrible work collegues, well you dont want me to say what i would have to say to them.. chin up..

here goes my rant : Tactical reponse group rock up at my house all antsy, telling me they have sufficient reason to search my house for firearms because there was a report of me showing a gun out my car window?? Anyway after all the searching they find a machete out the back, which is apparently 'carrying an offensive weapon', so i get arrested and taken to lockup for a few hours.

That sucks ***.

Please excuse me if I'm being a little slow, but I don't quite understand how this is relevant to the topic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back