Baby Beardie with bloated belly! pls help

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm keeping an eye on my Fatso aswell. He has a big round belly, but he could be eating too much. He has crix, zucchini, carrot and cabbage. I read cabbage isn't good either. Is that right? I'll put my boy on a diet.

i thought thats bout the amount for a baby beardie ..coz that amount doenst seems to be enough for her, she seems to be very hungry even after that amount...she eats lots of vegies too and i think the reason why she was bloated up the first time its coz i over fed her with vegies / lettuces, i'll try to feed her less crix a day and let her go on a diet for a couple of days and see how she goes then...

Of co**** shes bloated with 30-40 cricks per day,though it looks normal.
She has just recovered bloating and now pigging out like that wouldn't be good.
Just take it easy with her feeding until shes back on track.
Leave more greens in her enclosure with her and this should stop her from trying to eat the fake ones

I'm keeping an eye on my Fatso aswell. He has a big round belly, but he could be eating too much. He has crix, zucchini, carrot and cabbage. I read cabbage isn't good either. Is that right? I'll put my boy on a diet.
None of those veggies are suitable as a staple, try things like Dandeline flowers and greens, Bok choy, Squash, peas and Butternut pumpkin to name a few

Thanks Gex

What bout carrots? i thought they good for them?

None of those veggies are suitable as a staple, try things like Dandeline flowers and greens, Bok choy, Squash, peas and Butternut pumpkin to name a few

Thanks Gex

They are ok, but they are high in fibre and have very little nutrition.
Sorry I should have been a bit more specific before, carrots are ok, its just there are better options

Thanks Gex

Hey I feed my beardie a very broad range of veggies he has carrots red capsicum green beans broccoli
apple dandelions button yellow squash buk choy and sometimes peas and corn

He also gets straweberry, banana water melon and rockmelon as treats...

Have you thought maybe it has worms if its eating that much. I would take it to the vet and get it checked for worms.

Thanks Gex

Oh,ok. Thanks for letting me know. Peas are easy enough to get but I haven't the faintest idea where I could get bok choy ( I have tried to find it in the vegie section). Is the yellow squash ok and is that and the pumpkin ok raw or should it be mashed/cooked?

I have heard of people using salad mixes to feed their dragons with. Are they a good idea as long as there is no iceburg lettuce in it?

Still a newbie.lol

Btw carrots have lots of vit A and betacarotene in it I'm told. But u can't give em too much of it.

bok choy, chinese brocolli, rocket, green beans, and butternut pumpkin (raw), all good staples, all found easily at coles.
carrot not too often, apparently it has too much vit a, that link is good, check all ur salad ingredients against it till u get a 'salad' routine.

re mixes, the asain salad mix is ok, the rest are too lettucy (its not only iceberg thats lacking in nutrition, but thats the worst one) and never feed spinach.

Could someone explain why spinach is a stand-out baddie for beardies?

bearded dragon menu...

there are 5 different categories in which we have devided good and bad foods to feed your dragon.
These categories are... FEED DAILY (safe to feed every day), FEED OCCASIONALLY (safe to feed occasionally), FEED RARELY (as a treet once in a blue moon), QUESTIONABLE (probably good to keep away from these foods, can cause diarrhea), and NEVER FEED ( NEVER FEED!!!).

FEED DAILY:

Crickets
(bearded dragons are mostly insectivorous for the first stage of their life, preferring to eat nothing but live insects. Especially the eastern bearded ,pogona barbata, which remains mostly insectivorous for the term of its life. Even though live food may make up 90% of the diet at first still offer the other foods below in small quantities to start with.
Be sure to dust the crickets with a calcium supplement and "gut load" them by feeding a variety of foods to the crickets just prior to offering them.)

Woodies ( woodland, or speckled feeder cockroach.)

Collard Greens: staple.

Dandelion Greens

Mustard Greens

Silkworm: Contain an enzyme called serrapeptase, this has properties that make calcium absorption more efficient, may only be avaliable seasonably.

Squash, (Acorn, butternut, hubbard, scallop, summer, Spaghetti)

Turnip Greens

FEED OCCASIONALLY:

Apple (peeled)

Apricot

Asparagus

Basil

Beans, Green

Beans, Kidney

Beans, Lima

capsicum

Blackberries

Blueberries

Bok Choy

Cabbage

Carrots

Celery (stalk & leaves)

Cherries

Clover

Cranberries

Cucumber (peeled)

Earthworm

Figs

Grape Leaves

Grapefruit

Grapes

Guava

Hibiscus, Rosella

Leeks

Lemon Grass

Mango

Nectarine

Orange, Mandarin

Papaya

Parsnip

Peach

Pear

Peas, Snap

Pepperment Leaves

Pineapple

Plum

Pumpkin (raw)

Raisins (seedles)

Rosemary

Turnip

Watermelon

Zucchini

FEED RARELY:

Banana: High phosphorus

Beans, Soybeans

Broccoli (raw)

Cauliflower

Chives

Corn, Yellow

Egg (whole, hard boiled)

Kiwi

Lettuce, Red Leaf

Lettuce, Romaine

Mealworm

Olives (canned, pitted)

Parsley

Peas, Green

Pomegranate

Potato, Russet (cooked)

Potato, Sweet (cooked)

Raspberries

Rice (brown, long grain)

Rutabaga

Sprouts, Brussel

Tomato, Red

QUESTIONABLE:

Beef

Bread,

Chicken (cooked)

Eggplant (raw)

Lettuce, Loose Leaf: Poor nutritional value, can cause diarrhea

Lettuce, Iceburg: Poor nutritional value, can cause diarrhea

Mushroom, Portabella (raw): WARNING - some mushrooms can be very toxic to Beardies.

Spinach

Swiss Cheese

Tofu (soft, raw)

NEVER FEED:

Avocado: Highly toxic!

Bran, Wheat: Highly toxic!

Rhubarb: Highly toxic!

hope this helps :)

Thanks, Chris. I knew it wasn't good for them, but wasn't sure why.

Thanks, Frogs! That list is really comprehensive! I'm going to print it and stick it above Cranky's tank so my partner knows. Thanks very much!

What about tinned fruit and veggies... baked beans in particular? I'm assuming this diet is very similar for blue tongues as I have seen the same graph of food for them.

It is strange that you say this as Wheat bran is a very popular substrate choice overseas for bearded dragons, I wonder how dangerous it really is? (I'm not recommending it)

I have also been told bran is a good staple food for cricket and woodie colonies, so along the same line of thinking.... hmm?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back