slaty greys?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snowsnake

Reaction score
hey guys, i was just interested to see if anyone on this site keeps slaty grey snakes, as im picking up an adult breeding pair in the next month or so
cheers malik

My advice would be to turn your back and walk! Unless you have good experience with breeding other snakes i wouldn't bother trying to breed them cause the juvies take alot of work. They really aren't a good pet snake, if you want something different and a colubrid i would go for a night tiger instead.

hey, yea they arnt going to be pets, im going to be using them for venomous snake training, and ive had some experience with hatchling snakes not wanting to eat for me, but thanks for the tip mate
cheers malik

Not for somebody inexperienced and will be a hell of a lot of trouble raising hatchies (getting them feeding,etc) You'll probably spend your whole time smelling like crap aswell!

Not for somebody inexperienced and will be a hell of a lot of trouble raising hatchies (getting them feeding,etc) You'll probably spend your whole time smelling like crap aswell!

lol they do like to dump there guts on you and they bite alot! i do however have a soft spot for colubrids

hey, yea they arnt going to be pets, im going to be using them for venomous snake training, and ive had some experience with hatchling snakes not wanting to eat for me, but thanks for the tip mate
cheers malik

If you've already made ur mind up then go for gold but i still think you'll be disapointed if you get slateys. They really don't behave like elapids, you would get as much experience from a snappy jungle as you would from these fellas.

A python hatchling that wont feed for you is pretty different than trying to get a young slatey or any colubrid started. But like i said if you've already made up ur mind then go for gold and good luck!

Go for gold mate , if there am establshed pair and are captive bred themselves they make great captives and are generally only cage protective

good luck with them mate

I Know someone who was using one as a training animal, didn't do it for long, I dont think it was sucsessfull

their a captive bred adult pair, they are both great eaters on weaner mice, ive been told by heaps of people that they are used for venomous snake training(i was told this by a woman who does Ven courses),and yea i guess ill just man up and deal with the smell hehehe
cheers malik

their a captive bred adult pair, they are both great eaters on weaner mice, ive been told by heaps of people that they are used for venomous snake training(i was told this by a woman who does Ven courses),and yea i guess ill just man up and deal with the smell hehehe
cheers malik

They have been used for relocation training but usually more for the identification and capture side of things not husbandry.

Slatey greys.

Many years ago, I was sent a hatchy.Perplexed as how to start it feeding, I put several small live mosquito fish (Gambusia affinis) in its water bowl, It ate the lot first night! (Live guppies would not doubt work.) As it grew and took larger fish it learned to take dead fish from forceps out of water. After that it was no effort to 'trick' it over to fish scented pinkies.
I grew it to about 1.2m. It would strike out at me each time I opened its enclosure and was very food orientated. Hated being handled and would push writhe and squirm the whole time. It never realy calmed down, but it eased up on biting the older and larger it got.
Thus it would seem my experience with the species is similar to everyone elses.
Trust this helps

Slatey Greys

I have helped run venomous courses and amongst others, we have used slateys for these as they are basically brown snakes with training wheels. No hospital trip needed for a mistake. All the ones we've used have been wild though (obtained with appropriate permits and then released afterwards) I don't know how captives would go, like everything, the more they're handled the more they get used to it. Good luck though

They have been used for training courses....however after time they do settle down and become a little too easy to use.

Also Slatey's have a fairly potent anti coagulant...don't just assume that because its a colubrid its harmless.

Cheers,
Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back