Sugar Gliders are so hard to find!!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think KatshirT was trying to show that due to the area in which rfrancis works, he should have some idea of the rules/consequences if they are wild caught, and that if they "are" wild caught, and he is prosecuted for it, he will have alot of professional consequences to deal with as well...well thats what i got from it anyways. I agree posting his personal info on here was over stepping personal boundaries, and a link to the abzeco search on yahoo where he is named would have been enough to get what ever point across KatshirT wanted.

Wild Caught??? Woah, that is a totally different thing, I didn't realise that possibility was even being raised.
Bledlislave, are you kidding, tame sugar gliders are the cutest most awesome pets ever, I wouldn't give up mine for the world, they are so soft and cuddly, oh and did I mention cute!...

well from what i have got from reading the first post and the adds posted in this thread, Gliders in back yard, hard to find "legal" ones, 6 mths later same user name has many for sale....... not saying that it is definately the case but by my logic it points to the possibility.

I am excited to be getting a female for my boy next week, i love him to bits he has become so friendly to me and comes onto my shoulder every night for his treat while i am feeding him.

Fantastic little animals.

well from what i have got from reading the first post and the adds posted in this thread, Gliders in back yard, hard to find "legal" ones, 6 mths later same user name has many for sale....... not saying that it is definately the case but by my logic it points to the possibility.

Pretty serious allegation. I hope for you're guys sake that you're somewhat correct. Oh else the unfounded allegation is pretty huge. Victimising an individual. Ever thought of the possibilty that he got (legally) a few pairs late last year and they have produced heaps of babies?

I'm not accusing anyone, i'm just saying that, from what i have read from Katshirt , thats what they are implying in their post. Also i can bet that alot of people on this site have no idea about the breeding cycles of gliders (me included) so without that info it makes it easier to come to that conclusion

Pretty serious allegation. I hope for you're guys sake that you're somewhat correct. Oh else the unfounded allegation is pretty huge. Victimising an individual. Ever thought of the possibilty that he got (legally) a few pairs late last year and they have produced heaps of babies?

I don't know much about marsupials. But if he got a pair how long would it take for him to have offspring ready for sale?

Hang on, Slow down...

Wow, I am certainly not taking animals from the wild! As a result of my posts I purchased a total of 5 animals, a pair from Roy Pails that I felt very sorry for (which have produced two lots of two young), a female from Dixiglen (great animal that lives with us in the house, and yes it does get a bit smelly) and two males from a Sean (Snake handler). I am now selling some of these animals, including 2 of the young, to with the aim of having a coupe of pairs that are not related. I am keen to only sell to people that have researched and understand their requirements, or other keepers looking to maintain diversity in their colony. I work with a very wide range of wild native fauna on an almost daily basis, it is my job, my work is to preserve, maintain and enhance habitat and fauna populations for a range of clients, including government.

I don't know much about marsupials. But if he got a pair how long would it take for him to have offspring ready for sale?

That depends on if the female already had joeys in pouch at the time of purchase. In that case it could be as early as 10 weeks. Otherwise is would be at least 18+ weeks.

Wow, I am certainly not taking animals from the wild! As a result of my posts I purchased a total of 5 animals, a pair from Roy Pails that I felt very sorry for (which have produced two lots of two young), a female from Dixiglen (great animal that lives with us in the house, and yes it does get a bit smelly) and two males from a Sean (Snake handler). I am now selling some of these animals, including 2 of the young, to with the aim of having a coupe of pairs that are not related. I am keen to only sell to people that have researched and understand their requirements, or other keepers looking to maintain diversity in their colony. I work with a very wide range of wild native fauna on an almost daily basis, it is my job, my work is to preserve, maintain and enhance habitat and fauna populations for a range of clients, including government.

Thank goodness that's been cleared up!

On a different note...

I know that they are smelly and some bite but they are really a very lovely animal to interact with. That aside I think it is going to be more difficult to have this female in the house over winter, with the windows all closed and heater going. She may have to go into an outside enclosure or on the balcony until the weather warms up again and we can open the windows. It will be a shame, but hopefully I can still bring her in of an evening to interact with us. I guess one of those cat enclosures that goes outside a window could work, has anyone had any experience along these lines?

Seeing as this thread is discussing gliders, other than the healsville sanctury diet, does anyone else have a diet sheet for sugar gliders.

I always hide things around the enclousre so he has to go searching for things ( as well as putting food in a bowl ) its great to watch him searching around.

Glider diet

I have found frozen crickets a really usefull food, dusted with calcium powder. And of course moths are great, for outside enclosures a single low voltage LED will attract them in. I have a spotlight on a white surface where moths and beetles gather and I grab a few most evenings to hand feed them, particularly with the cooler weather. With fruit I stick cherry tomatoes, grapes, pices of avocado, apple, anything really onto the small twigs on the branches so they can find them and eat as if they are growing there. They love pecans, but as they are quite fatty I think a few every now and then only (anyone have an opinion on this?). Sean, who I got two males from, used to keep puppy kibble in the enclosure, which would also be good for their teeth. The occasional pinky rat, particularly for lactating females is good, they tend to just eat the brain though. In the wild they take birds so I imagine day old chicks would be good, but I havent tried them so would be intereste to hear if someone has. I have heard mixed opinion on honey. some say water it down, others have been feeding it to animals for years with no side effects, which could be in part due to having water available freely, unlike wild animals. Wildlife Carers have advised that it may damage their kidneys. I use honey in their high protein mix and also make a small amount available every now and then.

Funny how the accuser is so quiet now everything has been explained! :rolleyes:

The accuser only posted in this thread once, and hasn't been online since two days before it was explained, they went quiet long before it was explained. Maybe they're just busy?

Everyone seems to say Sugar Gliders and feral and smell really bad. Is there any way to control the smell or does it just come back?

The smell I agree with, but if you keep them outdoors and clean their enclosures regularly they should be fine. But the feral thing is total rubbish, it is possible of course, but is totally dependent on if they are hand tame. Tame ones are gorgeous!!

The smell I agree with, but if you keep them outdoors and clean their enclosures regularly they should be fine. But the feral thing is total rubbish, it is possible of course, but is totally dependent on if they are hand tame. Tame ones are gorgeous!!

I was watching a video where a woman basically said that if you handle them in the morning they'll pee on you, is that true?

I'd love to get some one day, but it's hard keeping my reptile addiction satisfied, I don't want to get addicted to marsupials as well haha.

I was watching a video where a woman basically said that if you handle them in the morning they'll pee on you, is that true?
If you handle them when they first wake up, then they will most likely have a reasonably full bladder and therefore pee on you. Best to handle them after they've been awake for a while, they still may pee on you though. I always have an old crappy pair of clothes on when playing with them, and wash up afterwards, but for me it's so worth it, they are just unreal!

Funny how the accuser is so quiet now everything has been explained! :rolleyes:

Accuser Greg?? Really?

I was simply concerned and wanted it made public so my own mind can be put at ease, Yes I went public.. why? simple this way a response is almost guaranteed.

Now I do not deny that the purchase of the first animals was well above board but if Dixi are saying there sale to him in nov/dec lead them to believe this was the only glider in his care then mathematically with your 10 week or 18 week period it would put young to have been produced in his care very scetchy as we all now how easy it is to simply have one single animal that is live bearing to then get as many as 1 to 10 animals then on licence.

But that would be accusing now wouldn't it.

Can anyone please tell me who exactly is telling people that Sugar Gliders are verocious little things?

Sure they have the potential to be bitey and scratchy but aside from the wild ones all will calm down well, best to think of them, I believe, as kittens that never quite grow up.

Yes I went public.. why? simple this way a response is almost guaranteed.
Yeah great theory mate, ha ha, if it wasn't for the fact that I sent Richard an email saying what people were saying about him, then there probably wouldn't have been any answer for a long time, as Richard said he hadn't even been on the aussiepythons forum for quite some time.
Did you ever think of sending him an email and raising you concerns with him before going public????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back