Murray Darling hatchling not eating, HELP!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

r32drifta

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I bought a murray darling hatching with good feeding history about 2 months ago. She has accepted a fuzzy 3 times in the first 4 weeks but has since refused food the last month. I have offered her a mouse weekly at night time when she's supposed to be active. She almost seems scared of the mouse. Even when she did take it the first few times she would not strike, I had to leave it with her. I don't know if a hatchie should be going off its food this young. What can I try to entice her to feed? Ive tried wiggling it in front of her, she just turns the other way. She looks in good condition but worried if she doesn't eat soon. Thanks.

Try making the body of the mouse warm, and leaving the mouse laid near to her face, but put it there slowly and quietly, close the enclosure and leave her to it. Check back in a couple of hours, but don't leave the mouse in there for too long, as it WILL go off.

how big/small is she? If she is not that big, are you using pinkie or weaner mice?

What sort of enclosure have you got her in and whats the temp.... Have you noticed anythign else which seems different to you???
Do u know when she shed last??

She hasn't shed sine with me, I think only the 1 shed. Shes showing no signs of shedding though. She is roughly 50cm long. Ive only tried to feed he fuzzy mice, thats what the guy was feeding her who bred her. Ive tried leaving the last 2 overnight, still no joy.

Shes still in a click clack, daytime temps in hot end 32-34, nighttime there is no additional heat, my upstairs is warm anyway(24-28) at night.

Has she had milky eyes or anything... as she might be getting ready to shed

Shes still in a click clack, daytime temps in hot end 32-34, nighttime there is no additional heat, my upstairs is warm anyway(24-28) at night.

and there is a decent gradient between warm and cool ends...

maybe every 2-3 days for 15-20 mins, I take her out to give her sun twice a week too. Is that bit too much?

My advice in situations like this is always to just not offer any food at all for 2 or 3 weeks, that makes sure she is good and hungry. If she doesnt take it then, and is starting to lose condition, maybe a vet trip may be advised. Could also be due to the cooler weather.

maybe every 2-3 days for 15-20 mins, I take her out to give her sun twice a week too. Is that bit too much?

Leave it for at least 2 weeks without touching her. Just check her water and make sure the click clack is clean.... Then try feeding only without handling still and see how this goes... The normal shed period is about 4-6 weeks so she may need to be upsized food once she starts eating again... It could be the cooler weather that as snakes have a natural body clock which sometimes means that when it cools down they don't eat quite as much... Just keep the heat up to her and leave her be for a bit... If she doesnt start eating again in a couple of weeks then I would suggest getting her checked out but i wouldnt worry too much right now..... Snakes can go up to about 6 months without eating...

Thanks, Ill leave her alone for a while. I was going to put her into a slightly bigger enclosure soon to get a better heat gradient. Should i wait till shes eating again?

Yes I wouldnt go changing anything at this stage (until she is eating properly) as she won't do well in new surroundings... It may just make her worse...
Do you have a thermostat and thermometre in her click clack?

Ok so it might also be the way you have the heater set up.... If that is the only heat supply it should really be connected to a thermostat and should be constant... if u don't want this to be the constant heat supply you should think about putting a heat mat (with built in thermostat) under the click clack so as to be providing that constant heat....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back