Are there RULES?????????????

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If every reptile keeper was haulled over the coals for catching the odd snake or two then 80% of the more "respected" keepers would find themselves in hot water. Like it or not, the keeping of illegally wild caught animals is rampant throughout this community.

Aint that true . !

If every reptile keeper was haulled over the coals for catching the odd snake or two then 80% of the more "respected" keepers would find themselves in hot water. Like it or not, the keeping of illegally wild caught animals is rampant throughout this community.

True. However, catching the odd snake and selling them as captive bred is another thing. I am not saying that these two "accused" did.

True. However, catching the odd snake and selling them as captive bred is another thing. I am not saying that these two "accused" did.

What about breeding those illegal wild caught animals and selling the offspring as captive bred? that would be truth ;)

thats great news i wanted a few more locality animals and i got a reptile book and a boot full of beer , im sure some of the local people will find me a few, ill just sit in the car and wait. thats how its done right ?

I think name and shame is not a bad thing.
I've sold quite a few snakes in my time, and I have only had 1 guy come back to me because he could'nt get the hatchie to feed [ it fed every time when he brought it back..twice ].
I refunded his money after 6 months !!!........LOL.
BUT, we have breeders out there ripping people off with promises [ after purchase service, does not bite, weight and size of the reptile in question, my " last hold back " - Please !!!!! ]
Yet, we cant even mention who they are ??
Now, its fine for experienced breeders, as they over a period of time worked out who's who in the reptile trade, BUT, the inexperienced get caught out to often imo.
They think because the breeder has a fancy web site, no negative comment POSTED about them, then their ok to deal with..................
Yer right.
Just my 2 cents worth.
Cheers,
Aleks.

i thought this article may have been about a dealer who is currently going through the courts in queensland (lives on the sunny coast...). having seen the evidence first hand (having worked at the EPA), it's pretty clear the guy was the lowest form of breeder there is. dead animals lying all over the place, disgusting conditions... all after a quick buck. as the scans are no longer up here, i wouldn't know if that was the second case spoken about.

there are people who should be named and shamed. hell, if ebay does it, why can't there be a database where you can leave feedback. as with ebay, i can sift through the "i'm giving bad feedback because i wanted a green chair, and this one was bluish" comments. just as you'd sift through the "the hatchie wouldn't feed" comments, which aren't always about the breeder..

i love my snakes, i have only bought from VERY reputable people, one of which is a mate who i know adores his snakes and treats them very well.

I agree, perkele. Part of the reason this forum exists is to provide a helpful database of knowledge to hobbyists old and new. I can't see how putting up a list of 'avoid at all costs' could be harmful. For some reason people in the hobby are all too eager to praise breeders, even disreputable ones. It would be nice to be able to steer people away from high risks..god knows I've had my own issues dealing with sellers who wouldn't know which end of a snake to feed.

i thought this article may have been about a dealer who is currently going through the courts in queensland (lives on the sunny coast...). having seen the evidence first hand (having worked at the EPA), it's pretty clear the guy was the lowest form of breeder there is. dead animals lying all over the place, disgusting conditions... all after a quick buck. as the scans are no longer up here, i wouldn't know if that was the second case spoken about.

The second scan that I put up was about someone in Cairns. I am surprised that the scan was removed - there was no speculation, suspicion or any doubt about what has happened. This guy has been trough the court and done with, the paper clipping was merely a report of the events that took place. No name, no face. Why was it removed?

The author from the Cairns post has published the article online for all to read. The comments accompanying the article are very interesting.

CodeRed, I agree, I reckon about 90% of reptile keepers with decent collections have at least a few wild caughts among them. Who cares anyway, look at how much gets killed on the roads or by ferals or killed by land clearing ever year, There are some statistics in Rick shines book with the GTP on the cover, taking a few is not doing much damage if it is being done sustainably. As long as the keeper isn't going and vacuuming up everything or just taking for the sake of it I think it would be ok (people that do that are usually the greedy money hungry type), People should just be doing it sustainably if they do it

Picking of the roads or from land that is gonna be cleared would be the way to go. No taking from National parks, Nature reserves. Big one Don't destroy habitat, put rocks back properly and carefully. Profiting from offspring is ok in my opinion, but selling the original captured animals is not right.

I used to be completely anti poaching and the works but opened my eyes a bit and became realistic, I might have sold out on my views a little or been influenced by others.

Poacher in my eyes is someone who goes through and takes everything to make a quick buck, leaving a trail of damage where they go, not someone who is just taking a couple of animals for their own collection and doing it carefully, not damaging the place to collect.

Remember its illegal to collect from the wild, I am not supporting it, just stating my opinion ;)

As for a solution to the problems of the reptile world, take away value! If reptiles are worth nothing, you will only have people with the real interest in them, no lying about what stuff is, no people destroying places to make a quick buck, no breeders ripping off new keepers. Would be great!

i liked the term rare individual , what hes done ,dont seem to rare to me . also had to look twice...thought it was Adam Gilcrist .......... now that hes playing in india and not full time... looked like he had taken up eating a bit more and herping in his spare time .

Very pragmatic view BH, the only thing: things with no value are worthless and often treated as such. Just look at the cat and mongrel dog situation .... and these are animals with affections, snakes aren't.

i read it. what he did was still illegal. if he wanted to be a wildlife carer, he should have applied to be one. if he wanted to relocate the animals, he should have relocated them as soon as possible. the fact that he was incubating lizard eggs which he was not legally supposed to have, makes me feel he was playing up the "conservation" part of his life. sure, he might have been relocating a lizard which just happened to lay eggs, but it sounds too much like he was just flaunting the rules.

i do agree with some of the comments regarding people getting off with less for more horrific crimes. and the fact that all wildlife related investigations don't go through court is also very sad, but those cases are ALWAYS tried at a loss to the state. a few thousand dollars do not cover the court and investigation costs.

Michael, That is true I guess, suppose if there was a perfect solution to the problems of the hobby... and the world, it would already be in practice.

i read it. what he did was still illegal. if he wanted to be a wildlife carer, he should have applied to be one. if he wanted to relocate the animals, he should have relocated them as soon as possible. the fact that he was incubating lizard eggs which he was not legally supposed to have, makes me feel he was playing up the "conservation" part of his life. sure, he might have been relocating a lizard which just happened to lay eggs, but it sounds too much like he was just flaunting the rules.

The defence lawyer span a nice, emotional story making the bloke, making him look like a hero. I didn't buy it, nor did the magistrate but the public (who made those comments) did! That tells us something about the QPWS PR.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back