Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Did they tell you why this is all that you can do and the reason behind the diagnosis and treatment

what do u refer to as Jelly?

I think they mean it is soft in the body which is quite understandable if it isn't feeding.

Bumping up the temps sounds like a good idea as it needs to start feeding.Also no more handling unless absolutely necessary and try offering a feed once a week,in the evening,leave the food item in over night and dispose of the next day if it hasn't been taken.

I think they mean it is soft in the body which is quite understandable if it isn't feeding.

Bumping up the temps sounds like a good idea as it needs to start feeding.Also no more handling unless absolutely necessary and try offering a feed once a week,in the evening,leave the food item in over night and dispose of the next day if it hasn't been taken.

+1, also pip the heads if not already. Good luck. If nothing's working, go back to the breeder. I've bought hatchies that were not fantastic feeders, but not to the point of dying of starvation.

hey just that it could be slight resp infect jelly could be that she still has a little something in her gut that she couldnt digest cause our heat was lacking but i see improvement already she is now at about 34 much happier i am still searching for a really good herp vet but was told of one today just couldnt get there if still no better in a day or 2 will go there most vets ive spoken to are sympathetic but not quite sure what the answer is

and we have stopped handling will offer food again in few days then weekly but was told today of a black head that will only feed nov thru jan and will refuse for the rest of the year so not too worried now she def looks happier tonight and the jelly is sort of like very soft and almost looks like cellulite

hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone can tell me how infectious RI's are?? Would the snakes have to come into contact with each other??

I wouldn't stop trying to feed her. She's young, with plenty of growing still to do. Hopefully bumping her temps will get her feeling hungry. Good luck!

hey just that it could be slight resp infect jelly could be that she still has a little something in her gut that she couldnt digest cause our heat was lacking but i see improvement already she is now at about 34 much happier i am still searching for a really good herp vet but was told of one today just couldnt get there if still no better in a day or 2 will go there most vets ive spoken to are sympathetic but not quite sure what the answer is

Did they give her a shot for the Respitatory Infection...?
RI can progress pretty fast, but if there is hardly any sign of it, it can get improve with a lowered humidity and higher temps.
Would still prefer to know that some antibiotics were administered?

i am still searching for a really good herp vet but was told of one today just couldnt get there if still no better in a day or 2 will go there most vets ive spoken to are sympathetic but not quite sure what the answer is

We are in Camira, not far from you. When we needed a vet, we ended up having to go to Brisbane Birds & Exotics Veterinary Service, on Kessels Road, corner of Springfield St at Macgregor.
Their phone number is 3420 6773.
The local vets, despite being willing to have a look, were just not up to speed with reps, whereas Deborah at BBEVS was very knowledgeable and experienced.
I wouldn't hesitate to go straight to them if we ever needed a vet again :D

today she is much much happier she is whole lot more active she was just offered a rat and still no go so i left it there for her she hasnt been handles and the airy jelly belly feeling seems to be moving down stands to reason why everyone thought maybe she just had undigested food due to inadequate heating thanks for all the help guys but id say she is well and truly on the mend thank god

Have you tried her on mice? some fussy snakes prefer mice, or quail. Could be a starting point anyway, glad to hear she's improving.

she has a bigger interest in quail usually but i was lead to believe she couldnt have rats due to fatty liver but was told last night that that is only when she is bigger and she starts needing huge rats then quail and chickens and rabbits are a better option so i offered a rat for the first time tonight (since we have had her anyway) this is all a learning stage to me and im so glad this site exists lol

As shellfisch said, worth a trip to Brisbane Birds & Exotics Vet in Macgregor. Waiting on this could have an unhappy ending. Good luck and keep us posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back