Aussie Frilled Localities

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Queensland Frillies can vary at lot in colour it seems the further north You go the more yellow and orange they have on their frills, I have seen some amazing ones on the way to Cooktown

WOW! Again.. WOW! lol

They are amazing!
Woodie colonys is something i dont have, but i pick em up from the herpshop which is pretty good value.

Frillies are deffiently something that i wouldnt mind adding to my collection, perhaps not just yet, but in the near future.

Does anyone have a caresheet i can read up in the mean time?

Cheers,

Thanks guys :)

There's not a lot of care information going around - Beardie conditions, with a larger enclosure and 90%+ live food is really all that's required. I dust with calcium and vitamins most feeds as they grow pretty quickly! Here's my current enclosure -

Cage_new_layout.jpg

It's 3ft square and a bit over 4ft high (internal).

I was going through 3-4tubs of woodies every 2weeks for ONE frilly. I couldn't afford it without running the colonies!! $70 once, a couple of tubs, a bag of carrots a week and rat/mice pellets. Quite cheap in the long run and so well worth the effort.

Here's an old video of him eating -

[video=youtube;nXxtPtrfYHY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXxtPtrfYHY[/video]

I have 14 Frillies , they aren't expensive to keep just breed your own crickets and woodies they also eat cta and dog food, day old chickens and pinky rats and mice, I don't handle them much but they do get very tame as they get older, mine hardly ever frill up as they aren't frightened of any thing

What a great looking enclosure there mate!
I thought they would require more.. width?

Having colonys of woodies.. is it easy to maintain?

They love to climb more than run around - I let him out on the weekends to exercise, but normally he's very happy to perch on his log and watch the world.

Woodies are very easy to maintain :)

Care to elaberate? :)

- Buy tubs from Bunnings
- Cut holes in lid
- Cover holes with flyscreen
- Paint a line of fluon around the top of the walls of the tubs
- Obtain cardboard eggcrate (from most coffee shops, supermarkets, etc - ask them to put it aside for you) and stack in one half of the tub
- Obtain woodies
- Slice carrot and put in tub (work out, over time, how much is enough so that there's none left after a couple of days)
- Buy Rodent/Chicken pellets from petshop and put in tub
- Replace carrot and pellets once eaten
- Tap all the waste down to one end every couple of weeks, or however clean you wish to be, and remove.

As I said, easy, and all based on information that has been posted here in the past.

Lol ok then just making sure. In that case, yes they are very easy to keep/breed and right now may be what everyone in the US has to use as feeders since the cricket virus is infecting everything now. You can try fish flakes for food too.

- Buy tubs from Bunnings
- Cut holes in lid
- Cover holes with flyscreen
- Paint a line of fluon around the top of the walls of the tubs
- Obtain cardboard eggcrate (from most coffee shops, supermarkets, etc - ask them to put it aside for you) and stack in one half of the tub
- Obtain woodies
- Slice carrot and put in tub (work out, over time, how much is enough so that there's none left after a couple of days)
- Buy Rodent/Chicken pellets from petshop and put in tub
- Replace carrot and pellets once eaten
- Tap all the waste down to one end every couple of weeks, or however clean you wish to be, and remove.

As I said, easy, and all based on information that has been posted here in the past.

That easy aye? :)
And doing this, the woodies will just breed on their own?
Any specific temps i need them at?

At the moment, i buy 20$ worth from the herpshop and have them in a bin, which a hole cut out the top, and heaps of egg crates, so similar already :) lol

That easy aye? :)
And doing this, the woodies will just breed on their own? Any specific temps i need them at?
At the moment, i buy 20$ worth from the herpshop and have them in a bin, which a hole cut out the top, and heaps of egg crates, so similar already :) lol

Yep, it's that easy. No music or wine required! lol

You do need to ensure that you get enough woodies in your first purchase (I started with 1000, but would probably have gotten by with 500) to still have adults breeding whilst you're feeding them off (if you feed adults to your reps, otherwise make sure that you allow some to grow up to be adults). The easiest way is to run a couple of colonies so you can rotate through them.

Try and keep them below 35deg C.

I started with 2 x tubs ($40), some flyscreen ($15), some duct tape ($5), Fluon ($20), eggcrate (free) and $80 worth of woodies. Say $2 worth of carrots and $1 worth of pellets each week and that's all it has cost me to feed for the past 5months. Better than $15+ per week of petshop woodies!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back