Thorny Devils

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top post Barramundi. Sounds like some good methods employed there. Thanks for sharing them.

Obviously the species of ant that they feed on are endemic to the Moloch's natural range. The big obstacle in keeping them it seems, is whether or not you happen to have the same species in your local area.

Ants are very simple to maintain as a colony in captivity once collected and established. Keep them heated, provide a protein source for larvae (dead insects) and a sugar source for adults (maple syrup or honey). Spray half the tank daily.... that's about all there is to it, still don't get why people think keeping molochs is difficult. The only issue is getting the colony started, that's all.

The care sheets and info you find on Thorny Devils state they only eat one particular species. However this is not the case, I was lucky enough to be friends with the first people who had them "legally" in captivity following them hatching an unknown clutch of eggs that were handed in to QPWS. They found they would eat 3 or 4 species of ant that were found in their home town of Pittsworth.

So its probably a matter of trial and error to find out what other species they will eat.

Yeah they'll attempt to eat several species. The moloch at the melb museum eats a species collected from Ballarat, Vic. I've also observed them trying to eat meat ants, but it's mouth was too small to fit them in.

i think they only eat one specie of small black ants, there is a couple of farms down south where you can buy thousands of black ants for stocking educational facilities antfarms such as schools unis and museums. the park in alice springs that had thornys were putting out empty cans of wet dog food at various anthill locations and were being collected to feed to the thornys daily! i believe they had 2-4 employees devoted to ant collection!!! massive job....

Just thought that you guys might like some light reading.

Attachments

• thorny devil.pdf
    679.7 KB · Views: 94
will yell if i need anything, thanks

i actually found it a very interesting read

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back