Wanna help me with my project?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sparkles.xox

Not so new Member
Reaction score
OK hello
:)
if u read my other post thang you will know im doing a project on Jungles...well i need help :) ( as i cant find what i want on google :mad: )
I'm kinda trying to find out about their housing, like what you NEED in there, What the humidity needs to be at, What the heat needs to be at, Would a heat mat or heat light be better, If its a heat lamp how long to leave it on for etc etc :)

so would you be able to tell me what you have in yours,maybe pictures ? they could be useful... :)

Thanks
Alex.

Alex, what is you project all about? Or do you call keeping jungles a project?

look up some books on the library website and loan them out, and good on your mum for getting you to research and doing a project, thats great

Jungles are arboreal so they like to climb. They are one of the smaller species of Australian python so an enclosure somewhere between 4 foot by 2 foot by 2 foot and 6 foot by 4 foot by 3 foot would be great. Temperature gradient of between 32 and 24 degrees Heat lamps are best and should be run 24hrs but controlled by a thermostat. Best to use nightglobes as they will not confuse the snakes patterns at night. Moderate humidity ( someone else can give you exact ) Needs branches and water and a place near the heat lamp where it can bask in the warmth. Also need to put wire cages around any lights.
jungle.jpg

Look up Keeping & Breeding Australian Pythons ed.by Mike Swan. You will find all basic and advanced information you need in the carpet pythons chapters.

Look up Keeping & Breeding Australian Pythons ed.by Mike Swan. You will find all basic and advanced information you need in the carpet pythons chapters.

Jungles are arboreal so they like to climb. They are one of the smaller species of Australian python so an enclosure somewhere between 4 foot by 2 foot by 2 foot and 6 foot by 4 foot by 3 foot would be great. Temperature gradient of between 32 and 24 degrees Heat lamps are best and should be run 24hrs but controlled by a thermostat. Best to use nightglobes as they will not confuse the snakes patterns at night. Moderate humidity ( someone else can give you exact ) Needs branches and water and a place near the heat lamp where it can bask in the warmth. Also need to put wire cages around any lights.
jungle.jpg

look up some books on the library website and loan them out, and good on your mum for getting you to research and doing a project, thats great

Just_Plain_Nuts Thankyou! :)

bigi I've been to my local library and they had acouple books on native aussie snakes, and they found on the computer they could order a couple books in form other towns on handling so im still waiting for them to tell me if they have got them in yet...
i also went to a different libary in another town and they didnt have much :(
But thanks :)

Waterrat Thanks :)

You may find some books on various Australian snakes in your pet shop as well.
Good luck. Your mum is doing the right thing by making you do this project. :)

Try your local herpetology group, one of the best sources of information

humidity of around 60-70% will do good. heat no more than 33 degree's. nice solid branches for climbing and a flat rock or unsealed terracotta tile for basking. i keep mine with a ceramic heat emitter on a thermostat. but they need something to lay on to absorb the heat. hence the tile. substrate you can use a number of things. i use to use pine bark chips but it became a little costly and now i use breeders choice kitty litter but the choice is yours. also the cat litter can reduce the humidity. plenty of ventalation but not enough to alow wind to gust through. just need fresh air. a water bowl at the cold end and a hide. also if humidity becomes hard to keep up place a water bowl closer to the heat source and that will help. anymore info feel free to ask. ill try find the site's i got my info from when i was starting out.
good luck..

by the way. just because some people say jungles are bitey doesnt mean all will be. ive had mine 5 years and only been bitten twice. both myown stupid fault. i must say my boy is so placid and ive handled other pythons that are claimed to be placid that have been more agro than him. each snake has its own personality and if you treat them right and handle them gently you will have years of joy. just dont keep them to hot as ive heard that can cause problems with agression. keep your hands clean with a good strong antibacterial soap especially after handling food items. and if possible dont feed them in the enclosure this keeps feeding seperate from handling. i use a click clack for feeding and allow them time to finish before moving them back. i also never handle within the days after feeding. i try and allow 4 days before any handling.
hope this all helps sorry for rambling on

Im just going to say I really dont agree with a jungle needing an enclosure 4x2x2 - 6x4x3. IMO that is a bit extreme

Scorps

realisticly when space is at a premium 3x2x2 is fine for jungles being as they dont really go past 6ft long but if you have only 1 or 2 snakes then the largest enclosure your willing to give them is best obviously

also realisticly if you are buying a hatchling it will not need to be put into adult accomidation till the age of 1-2 years depending on size tubs should do the job till it goes into the vivarium

goodluck with your project! snakes are great pets, but i think your mum is doing a great thing by making your research the care and requirements of them first :)
the jungle thread on this site is great for pics and some general questions about jungles.
and i also agree with bucky. my jungle is 6 months old now and she is absolutely fantastic. she's only ever bitten me twice and thats when i first got her she was still settling in, let alone justttt about to shed!!
you also need to look up feeding snakes. as its important to get this just right as well. and jungles can apparently be pretty picky with their food (although my girl isnt)

ive got a couple of photos here for you...i hope they help out. any questions just pm me and ill do my best to give you the answers, although i havnt got as much experience as some others do on this site.
goodluck with your project!

the first is of the sizes of mice and rats that can help when feeding your snake..
the second is of a temporary enclosure that you can keep jungles in until theyre about a year or so old. it includes a hide which is the log, paper toweling as substrate, some dowel for some climbing and a baskin robins cup for a water bowel haha. in the corner near the hide is a probe from a thermostat, as i had a heat matt underneath to heat the 'click clack'. you can make holes in the container using a cheap soldering iron.
the third is of her enclosure now. it is 1200L by 400D by 500H. It hasnt been perfected yet as i want to have only one lamp in there which will be a higher wattage infra red lamp (this means that you can have it on 24/7 and it wont affect them at night).
the forth and fifth is my jungle, Peanut.

hope that all helped a little..
mouse.rat size.weight.jpg19052010306.jpg20052010313.jpgP1030122.jpgP1030129.jpg

i forgot to add i use stainless steel dog bowls for water as they are easily cleaned and easy to make sure of no germs and so on. cost me about 2 bucks from a cheapo shop.

humidity of around 60-70% will do good. heat no more than 33 degree's. nice solid branches for climbing and a flat rock or unsealed terracotta tile for basking. i keep mine with a ceramic heat emitter on a thermostat. but they need something to lay on to absorb the heat. hence the tile. substrate you can use a number of things. i use to use pine bark chips but it became a little costly and now i use breeders choice kitty litter but the choice is yours. also the cat litter can reduce the humidity. plenty of ventalation but not enough to alow wind to gust through. just need fresh air. a water bowl at the cold end and a hide. also if humidity becomes hard to keep up place a water bowl closer to the heat source and that will help. anymore info feel free to ask. ill try find the site's i got my info from when i was starting out.
good luck..

by the way. just because some people say jungles are bitey doesnt mean all will be. ive had mine 5 years and only been bitten twice. both myown stupid fault. i must say my boy is so placid and ive handled other pythons that are claimed to be placid that have been more agro than him. each snake has its own personality and if you treat them right and handle them gently you will have years of joy. just dont keep them to hot as ive heard that can cause problems with agression. keep your hands clean with a good strong antibacterial soap especially after handling food items. and if possible dont feed them in the enclosure this keeps feeding seperate from handling. i use a click clack for feeding and allow them time to finish before moving them back. i also never handle within the days after feeding. i try and allow 4 days before any handling.
hope this all helps sorry for rambling on
Thankyou!!! helped TONNES. :)
dont worry about rambling. rambling can be helpful. :)

goodluck with your project! snakes are great pets, but i think your mum is doing a great thing by making your research the care and requirements of them first :)
the jungle thread on this site is great for pics and some general questions about jungles.
and i also agree with bucky. my jungle is 6 months old now and she is absolutely fantastic. she's only ever bitten me twice and thats when i first got her she was still settling in, let alone justttt about to shed!!
you also need to look up feeding snakes. as its important to get this just right as well. and jungles can apparently be pretty picky with their food (although my girl isnt)

ive got a couple of photos here for you...i hope they help out. any questions just pm me and ill do my best to give you the answers, although i havnt got as much experience as some others do on this site.
goodluck with your project!

View attachment 150472View attachment 150473View attachment 150474View attachment 150476View attachment 150477
haha thanks XD
actually helped a fair bit,and the photos were good :)
love your hair btw
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back