Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What the majority of enthusiasts assume in Australia, is that there are going to be hundreds and thousands produced........this season, last season the season before.....
Most thought and probably still think, that the numbers of RSP, Albino Darwins and Het Darwins (pure varigata) are huge................
Well, i would say that there is probably only around 600 RSP in this country in total in captivity, that have been produced since John's first clutch......that's 600 in total........and look at the price's........LOW as....why is that?
And, with albino and het albino darwins (pure variegata), i don't even know if you could find 50 different people who have bred them including SXR......and what most don't realize, is that the first and second clutches are usually small, especially if they are bred at 2.5 yrs........At best and not including SXR, i don't know if you could name 1 person that has bred them for 4 seasons yet.......and there would probably only be half a dozen people in the whole country that have been lucky enough to breed them for 3 seasons so far.............there wouldn't even be 1000 in total produced as yet....................

So, what the perception seems to be, is that there will be so many produced that the market will be flooded and they will be dirt cheap.............I think, the market in Australia is really quite small and even with only a small number of animals, the animals are advertised cheap and still not selling...... the general majority don't pay and probably cannot afford to pay, the 2000 to 7700 dollars each........
so, look at GTP's........how many were actually produced and sold???? alot less than people assume and there are still breeders with animals still lining their facilities at all price ranges........The problem is, not enough keepers are willing and others unable to purchase.....and those who are able and willing to spend large amounts already have........

Australia has a population issue when it comes to the reptile hobby and with the economic crisis around the globe for the last 3 years..... well, you don't need to be Einstein or have a crystal ball to work out that the price is dropping in many species in Australia, due to individual circumstances and most people cannot and do not want to hold out for their firm asking price. Most thought they would breed and sell and when they don't, other advertisers start dropping prices, genuine buyers wait...... and dreamers make up stories about how cheap their mates paid for them and how cheap they will be because of supply and demand.................Supply is not high......face facts..........demand is high.........and yet, there are still advertisements for albino's and greens at cheap, reasonable and high prices........same goes for rsp..cheap and...not sold out.........WHY is that????????? because Australia does not have enough people to purchase all the reptiles being produced.........The market is saturated with numbers of reptiles, not numbers of albino's, greens or rsp..............and people always want to save money, it is normal.........but there will always be different priced greens, albino's and all species or locale or morph animals.......that is life......prices do come down, other's go up..........
What animal you want and what animal you buy, is completely up to you..........don't worry about knocking people for paying high prices and same for those who are lucky enough to pay bugger all.........good luck to them.......it is shocking to see that the prices have dropped so much so quickly in the last 3 years especially, but all in all even if you went out today and paid 20,000 dollars and bred an adult pair, you would still be able to recoup you dollars in 1 or 2 successfull seasons.......so still an unbelievable hobby when you take the money and costs into consideration.......and to think that those same animals can be found on advertisements for way less, is just astounding......i can only think that people are not buying them because of their actual cash position or they already have some......

I'd like to actually know just how many people have actually seen an Albino Adult in the flesh???
And an RSP?????
The majority wouldn't have even laid eyes on them to appreciate them.....when you see adult animals, they are extremely impressive, just amazing.......

How many keepers actually own adult albino's 4.5 yrs, 5.5 yrs and 6.5 yrs old????
At a guess, probably not even 50 people........pretty small really when you look at it and most think that every man and his wife have them.......

PS.........I spend more than i'll ever get back, as do the majority of genuine enthusiasts keepers and breeders......why does it matter what price they are, if you want them....go find the person you want to buy from and get them.......If you only have x amount of money and cannot afford 1, 2, 3 or 12.....keep saving, work more hours or sell something you own to get the extra dollars....or wait and in time........... you know the rest.....
Rome wasn't built in a day..............

Last edited:
The the $$ returned at the end doesn't exceed the expenses.. its not a profit to start with! duh

If you would like to do such a project for your own personal satisfaction (or claimed community
benefit) open your wallet and do it.. don't complain the community isn't propping you up.
That is to date the worst excuse ive heard for keeping Python at over the top prices.

Everyone cool with buying medium frozen rats from me for $50 ea?
C'mon guys im trying to subsidies my herp trip to PNG.. ill really enjoy the trip
and the whole community will benefit when i post photos of it??

Like i said i don't see a problem with it either way. Alot of people manage to subsidise the cost of holidays/expeditions by making a doco or writing a book. But if you know ur only going to sell 25 copies of your book, would you ask $1000 each? Of course not, you will work out a reasonable price and go from there.

Gordo, my proposed project is not about breeding / selling reptiles. I am looking into visiting all (well, not really all but as many as possible and all the well known) GTP habitats in PNG, West Papua and the islands with my camera and producing a book about the species' ecology, predators and prey, cultural significance and of course lots and lots of smashing images. Estimated cost - 25K

Everyone cool with buying medium frozen rats from me for $50 ea?
C'mon guys im trying to subsidies my herp trip to PNG.. ill really enjoy the trip
and the whole community will benefit when i post photos of it??

Gosh, this is a real gem.

high price= high status and respect=good quality animals

Not entirely true. At all. I've seen some animals that are what I consider to be ridiculously expensive but the quality just isn't there. If you look at the "morph" market in the USA you will see some of the newest and latest morphs, many specimens of which are not what I'd consider all that great. Perfect example are corn snakes, some of the newer morphs tend to have thinner skin/scales and generally weaker genetically than any of the well established morph lines. On top of that I've heard some specimens dying prematurely or not feeding or thriving.

Price does NOT = quality.

To wit, I'd much, much rather pay $500 for a decent quality RHD woma hatchling than pay $2500 for a new Darwin carpet morph hatchling. Of course, that's just me, but I think a lot of people are thinking that a high price must mean good quality. That isn't true at all and I'm only trying to highlight that fact.

Gordo, sorry mate but you have no idea about publishing, what's involved and the costs. Please.

Most people want what they cant have and when they can have it, they dont want it as much :lol:

Cheers

Apology accepted, Lol wut?

I can analogise the same concept in a different scenario if that makes it easier for you. If you still don't get what i was talking about (which was analogy of the topic you brought up) then maybe you shouldn't have brought it up.

Gordo, sorry mate but you have no idea about publishing, what's involved and the costs. Please.

Gordo, my proposed project is not about breeding / selling reptiles. I am looking into visiting all (well, not really all but as many as possible and all the well known) GTP habitats in PNG, West Papua and the islands with my camera and producing a book about the species' ecology, predators and prey, cultural significance and of course lots and lots of smashing images. Estimated cost - 25K

Need an assistant, mate? ;)

Orientalis - by far the the best post in this thread, very well said.

The demand is still reasonably high for these animals but the average person barely has $500 to throw at a snake whenever they want it let alone $2000.

Whats the big deal about the price of these things and weather or not everyone should own one?

In the end they are just a Darwin painted white.... Its not like by owning one of them you are helping to secure some rare endangered animals future... You are not any better than other keepers nor does it give you a 'higher status' than those who dont own them.

They are a hardy breed that reproduces fairly predictably, so its inevitable that the price diminishes over time as they become well established in the hobby. Deal with it.

Totally agree, well said.
I plan on owning one in the near future, not to breed/status etc just because I like them and have always wanted one, at least i can afford them now.

Need an assistant, mate? ;)

Need the money!

Actually, assistant's fee is factored in. PNG is alright, I have a good friend there who can guide me around but Indonesia is a place I wouldn't go to without local knowledge and the lingo.

Need the money!

Actually, assistant's fee is factored in. PNG is alright, I have a good friend there who can guide me around but Indonesia is a place I wouldn't go to without local knowledge and the lingo.

I'll PM you :)

it seems people are missing the point, this shouldn't be an argument, we were asked for our view on albino price drop, not to kill each other.
my view is, great for the buyer( nice and cheap), good for the breeder(sell alot of them), but for the market on a whole i personally think that it is nice to see some species keep their high price. and my sum before was not high price = quality
it was high price = respect= quality. dont leave things out to suit your self.

How do you figure money = respect? If you respect an animal more because it cost you more, you love your money not the animal.

it seems people are missing the point, this shouldn't be an argument, we were asked for our view on albino price drop, not to kill each other.
my view is, great for the buyer( nice and cheap), good for the breeder(sell alot of them), but for the market on a whole i personally think that it is nice to see some species keep their high price. and my sum before was not high price = quality

so you are saying that if you had a black headed python and an albino olive, that the albino olive would have a better quality of care? then i reiterate, you would then love money more than your animals.

Who really cares??

If I had that mentality along with A LOT of other buyers
we'd all be crying out over what we've spent in the past few seasons!!
If you enjoy the animal buy it
if you don't think they are worth keeping without the high price tag attached don't get them.

I have spent a lot all on hets & now their 500 a pair!
The main reason I purchased them is so I could eventually end up with my very own albino.
Now the prices of albino's have dropped I can get one without waiting to breed.

I don't regret getting the hets they are lovely creatures to keep,
& I have a new found appreciation for carpets now.

At the end of the day people will still pay that little extra for something special,
but yes the prices have dropped & it's not the end of the world.
If anything the concern is...what will become of the normal Darwin??

Maybe I'm missing something here but it seems that what your implying is that a higher valued animal deserves a higher level of care and having an expensive snake somehow makes you better or give you a higher 'status' over others that can't afford these snakes? I could be completely misenterpreting what is being said though...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back