'Secret' Snake Discovered In WA

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MrBredli

Published On: -
Source: Perth Now

ONE OF Australia's rarest and most venomous snakes has been found in WA - sparking calls for more research into the "secret" species.

The adult female Central Ranges taipan (Oxyuranus temporalis) was discovered during a biological survey at Ilkurlka, 165km west of the South Australian border and 600km east of Laverton, on the Anne Beadell Highway in the Great Victoria Desert. It is only the second individual of this species known to science.

Go to Original Article

"captured"? what an awesome find, but by the picture it looks like it had the same fate as last one,still very useful as a specimen.
I hope to see a live one eventually on display,i suppose its just a matter of time.

The article states that it is dead =(.

"The Department of Environment and Conservation (DEC) said the discovery of the now-dead taipan highlighted the need for more surveys to document "the many secrets scientists believe are hidden in the relatively unexplored region''."

They've still never found a male one, its unfortunate they kill them, the first one discovered they thought was a Mulga snake, but they killed it anyway then later found out it was a new Taipan.

That's a GOOD news story for all the critters they found.....
I'm confused, that pic definitely looks as thought its dead and dried a tad....is that the one they found in the hands of the Spinifex people/
Bloody good looking animal, shame its dead!!!!.
Cheers..

G'day guys,

The first one was actually mistaken for a Western Brown. The second one was found and killed by some locals. Unfortunately they are far more valuable to science dead then alive.

This story reminds me of the science student that found the oldest living tree in the world and cut it down to prove it.

"As well as discovering the snake, the survey also revealed 10 native mammal species and 26 reptile species that had not previously been known to inhabit the area, as well as recording 59 bird species"

That's amazing!

Thats on about the same latitude of Lismore(east) and Geraldton (west). A fair way south from any of its cousins.

as stated previously although this one would have been taken as a specimen it was not infact killed by those who were conducting the survey.

From what I have been told it was killed by locals before those doing the survey got their hands on it. Its a bit further south than the last central ranges taipan recorded. Luckily there is a bit of distances between the two records, meaning that there must be a few of them floating around out there. All that is need is more work done in the area.

Very interesting ..will be very curious to know how the venom toxicity will be rated wether it sits close to the inland or the coastal ..

Thats on about the same latitude of Lismore(east) and Geraldton (west). A fair way south from any of its cousins.

Hey mate,

Coastal Taipans have been found as far south as approximately Grafton, and Inland Taipans have a disjunct population around Coober Pedy - both approximately on the same latitude of the new record.

Hi Jonno,
Do you have any references in re. to the Grafton record(s)? I have always been curious about the NSW claims, but have never come across any documentation.

Would be interesting to know if there is a population at Grafton, not a specimen or two that "hitched" a ride south.

I know of four individuals, one of which was found quite recently. The chances of a single Taipan hitching a ride are very slim, let alone four. It seems like this population may be disjunct by a couple of hundred km from their nearest locality in QLD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back