Poo identification - snake, gecko or something else?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

goodreds

Reaction score
Hi there,

I came across this poo in the back yard. I was wondering if any python owners could give me an approx ID based on my photo posted a bit lower down, please?

Bit of background. I initially thought it was a dog poo (or urban fox which is quite common back in the UK where I was from originally) but when I moved it away I noticed that it had the 'white tip' common to the gecko/lizards around our place but an order of magnitude larger.

I would estimate that it is around 3" long in total and 0.75" diameter (see my index finger in photo for scale). We live in Brisbane and about 1km from the CBD. My gut reaction is it belongs to the blue-tongued skink I have seen around our property but a woman at the museum told me that around 30% of homes in Brisbane have a resident python (which seems a bit high to me)!

Any thoughts much appreciated, thanks.

mystery_poo.jpg

You can tell what species it comes from by putting and mouth and rolling in circle motion on tongue.

Haha, right then! I've asked my wife to go and give me her taste-appraisal. :)

@the-lizard-king - in all seriousness it seems a bit big (and dry) for a bird crap, although we do have regular overflights from ibis and the occasional pelican is seen. I'd have thought there would have been a splatter pattern from being dropped from a height and it did strike me as quite canine on first analysis.

thats definetly morelia spilota mcdowelli, 2.5yo, banded pattern, female,Milton locale just off the highway... or it may just be a seagull crap..lol.

Sorry bout that champ, was a big night out and on the way home, well you know, any backyard I could find would do. Thought I cleaned it up but must have missed some.

maybe the woman at the museum mean that 30% of homes in Brisbane have a resident poo living in there backyard.Perhaps you should release the poo unharmed in its home territory

Haha, it's comedy time in here, isn't it! ;)

Thanks one and all, you've given me a good chuckle this evening and I am glad you've not all come back with "whoa, wait until you see what laid that!"-type comments.

You've also given me some food for thought as to whether making posts about random poos I've found is such a good idea! Honestly, this is the first time I've done this. I promise I'll make less weird threads from now on. :)

@Just_Plain_Nuts - thanks, I'll definitely keep my eyes peeled. I'm very keen on the idea of seeing snakes in the wild - as I come from a country where squirrels count as pretty exciting wildlife. If there were to be snakes in our back garden that would be great.

@888lowndes888 & others on the bird crap idea - sorry about the photo, it was an afterthought after I'd moved said item so you're only seeing a portion of what was there. Originally about 3 inches long - it might be a bird but we're too far south for cassowaries!

I have only one thing to ask............. is everyone here actually making id's on what did that, or are they just 'going through the motions'??

Hi there,

I came across this poo in the back yard. I was wondering if any python owners could give me an approx ID based on my photo posted a bit lower down, please?

Bit of background. I initially thought it was a dog poo (or urban fox which is quite common back in the UK where I was from originally) but when I moved it away I noticed that it had the 'white tip' common to the gecko/lizards around our place but an order of magnitude larger.

I would estimate that it is around 3" long in total and 0.75" diameter (see my index finger in photo for scale). We live in Brisbane and about 1km from the CBD. My gut reaction is it belongs to the blue-tongued skink I have seen around our property but a woman at the museum told me that around 30% of homes in Brisbane have a resident python (which seems a bit high to me)!

Any thoughts much appreciated, thanks.

mystery_poo.jpg

Haha, right then! I've asked my wife to go and give me her taste-appraisal. :)

@the-lizard-king - in all seriousness it seems a bit big (and dry) for a bird crap, although we do have regular overflights from ibis and the occasional pelican is seen. I'd have thought there would have been a splatter pattern from being dropped from a height and it did strike me as quite canine on first analysis.

Are you serious? Its too big to be a bird crap, but big enough to be a possible gecko crap? Are you for real? What kind of geckos are you use to seeing??? :shock: And so bird crap always stays wet and mooshy no matter how long its been out??? I've seen some pretty solid looking chicken crap, i.e. not runny, esp. when its been sitting there all day... crumbles in your hand... And I've also seen it still relatively solid when freshly "laid" too...

Personally, without seeing the "full specimen" its a bit harder to take a stab at... But with the way the "white stuff" aka uric acid is "positioned", yes, it looks like a big bird crap... Maybe an Ibis? Although thats just a very rough stab... Although depending on how it was expelled... It could be anything... Considering the "full specimen" isnt shown in the exact state you found it...

If you're seriously keen on the actual ID of it... I suggest going to your library or something and getting out a book called "Tracks, scats, and other traces"... I cant remember the authors, but it helps you ID that stuff really well with pictures of a LOT of animals passings... We learnt all about it at uni... For part of our animal tracking module... Fun stuff... Esp. learning the different smells of different "eaters"... i.e. carnivore poo as opposed to herbivore, insectivore, omnivore poo etc etc etc... :?
The one thing it definately is, is either a reptile or bird... Nothing else has the uric acid with it... There's heaps of factors to consider and heaps of things you could do to narrow it down, but I cant be stuffed going into it...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back