Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
so you would keep arboreal snakes like carpets in a tub like that ? withoit the option to perch?
Carpets are only semi arboreal, so they dont need it, and the only some take the option to use them. Absolutely none of my carpets use any form of perch that they have at the moment, they all stick to ground level explore. However the majority of exercise my snakes get is from taking them out and letting them roam or holding them, other than that they are quite happy to just sit in their warm spots. Besides, i am not the only one who does it, and there are other species that i can see being kept in tubs that many would consider more arboreal than carpets, such as spotteds and stimsons. Snakes do perfectly well in rack systems, that is why they are used

some fantastic racks people, wokka nice olive wish i could afford them lol....... what size are the tubs you are using for hatchling racks? 10L or 7L?

yeh there only 10L tubs for now i need to sell my other cage to make bigger ones
coz i need big tubs for my blackheads and for wen my womas get bigger

some fantastic racks people, wokka nice olive wish i could afford them lol....... what size are the tubs you are using for hatchling racks? 10L or 7L?
The hatchling racks are vision tubs sold in Australia as slitherin, about 40cm long x 15 cm wide and 10cm high; my next size is 40 x 40 x12cm; then 40 x 60 x 15cm; then 40 x 80 x 15 cm.

View attachment 155751Please no offence to anyone.

For the life of me, I will never understand what pleasure people can possibly have from keeping snakes in racks. I collect antique shotguns and if I couldn't have them on racks on the wall where I can see them all the time and admire them - I wouldn't have them. Simple as that.
However, I do realise and accept that we are all individuals and we all prefer to do our own thing but I just can't get my head around having beautiful, live snakes stashed away in those shoe boxes. My apologies if my comments are not your liking, just my opinion.
So here is a photo of one of my racks.

wow thats some awesome rack right there wokka :shock: lol wen u guys started this thread i got the motivation to actually try build one and it worked out lol just put all my snakes in there for now

nice wokka did u build it urself or pay for them?
I biuld them myself , then rebiuld and rebiuld. You can see the racks with the larger tubs are secondhand material. I originally made them 6 tubs wide x 10 tubs high but the racks were too unmanageable so I broke them into three racks.

I biuld them myself , then rebiuld and rebiuld. You can see the racks with the larger tubs are secondhand material. I originally made them 6 tubs wide x 10 tubs high but the racks were too unmanageable so I broke them into three racks.
nice yeh haha i just starting out small and if i want more il just make them to stack on top of each other ;) well the herp world is gonna start for me now

waterrat i know where your coming from but i just wanna keep upsizing my collection and i get all my snakes out everyday lol im upsessed with them if i dont grab them out i sit there for ages looking at them all anyways il just pull the tub out and have a squizz in then change over :) but tubs are gonna do it for me for a while

nice rack too :p

I can see where you are coming from waterrat, but for me the main reason for a rack is to save space. For example, if i were to want display snakes for 12 adult carpets, that would mean a 4x2x2 tank per snake, so stacked in the most economical way that takes up a space of 12x8x2, which is absolutely massive and there is nowhere i could find that space. However this rack only takes up 4x4x3, so it is a massive space saver, and money saver.
But based on that photo of your shotguns (nice by the way) space doesnt look like much of an issue, as to display like that you would have to deck out a room into a giant safe with security system and heavy lockable door. Just an observation, no offense meant

No offence taken.
I guess one (me) has to consider the purpose of keeping / breeding. For example, an extensive snake farm has to be utilised economically and practically. I understand that but at the same time I am glad I am not a snake farmer. lol

do all these racks meet the min. space allowable by NPWS ?

At the moment NPWS dont have minimum sizes. There were recommended sizes in the exhibited draft code and my racks comply but that depends upon the size animal you put in them. I prefer not to keep adult animals in racks although the largest tub I have, which is 120cm x 60 cm x 20 cm is larger than many cages. I bought 20 of these tubs but haven't got around to building the racks.

how much room does a adult carpet python have in one of these racks?
what are the largest tubs that people use?

Thanks Jack, I have a talent to throw the spanner into ...
Those things could come handy you know, burglars, officers without warrant, ...

cheers mate

under the exhibiting specs for NSW it states that (L refers to the SVL of the largest specimen housed in the enclosure)

for lizards

minimum floor area= 20cm x 30cm or 6.25L(squared) eg 2.5L x 2.5L whichever is greater, with no dimension less than 2L

for terrestrial snakes
(single specimen up to 4m)
minimum floor area= 20cm x30cm or 0.3L(squared) eg 0.6Lx 0.5L which ever is greater, with no dimension less than 0.3L, minimum height is the larger of either 0.3L or 40cmwhichever is greater[ NOTE. e.g a single tigersnake with an L of 100cm, the minimum floor area is 3000cm(squared) and can be of any shape as long as no dimension is shorter than 30cm eg 60cm x 50cm or 100cm x 30cm etc. if the enclosure is to hold more than one specimen then a 20% increase to the area required for the largest specimens size is required per extra individual ]

for arboreal snakes (single specimen up to 4m)
minimum floor space= same as terrestrial snakes but must also be provided with sufficient height for the expression of climbing habits. minimum height is the larger of either 0.5L or 60cm which ever is greater

the whole room might be on a thermostated heater maybe ??? :S lol like in snake bytes how the room temp is set so no need for heating ??

Show us your rack

At the moment NPWS dont have minimum sizes. There were recommended sizes in the exhibited draft code and my racks comply but that depends upon the size animal you put in them. I prefer not to keep adult animals in racks although the largest tub I have, which is 120cm x 60 cm x 20 cm is larger than many cages. I bought 20 of these tubs but haven't got around to building the racks.

Wokka, that's a great size tub and very hard to find with them dimensions.

Any chance you could let us know a brand name, who supplies/stocks them and a roughy price ?

Cheers ;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back