Question for those actually with RSPs

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

yommy

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Bewtween the Central and Mid North Coast - NSW
I pick up my female RSP hatchie from a good mate later this month and wanted to know the ideas for those who actually have this species.

My question is:

What have you found to be the best heating option for your animals?
She is currently in a tub style setup - A/C ambient snake room temp.

The two options i am considering are: heat cord - floor / large tub until yearling and moving to a display cage or
habistat heat panel style, elevated to promote climbing etc.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

i have been looking at the heat panel's id really like to convert all my enclosures to them but at 140 a peice x 20 is alot of moolah

if you dont end up using the heat panel id go for a standard ceramic bulb/fitting or use a red/blue/purple bulb

Simple reptile economics there kenshin thats only 2 female childrens pythons and a clutch of 10 eggs each.

Easily Attainable :) thats why it is a hobby that pays for itself.........

Defineatly thinking panels for when she's larger, it's what i run in nearly all my arboreal species cages just after options for those that keep them and know thier animals preferences.

I'm currently playing around with my own heat panel idea and so far am pretty confident. Not quite as compact yet as the real deal but I think it is on the money ($35 max).

Gday Yommy,
I use the heat panels for mine,They are fine but the only thing with them is that if your cage is in an area that has a fluctuating ambient temp they can sometimes be under gunned depending on the size of your cage. My roughies are in cages that originally housed my darwins until they grew to big and moved into their adult cages, and next year I'll be moving the roughies on to bigger digs. The heat panels in these cages are from Pro Heat in the states and I cannot fault them. They asked for the type of cage material and size and the placement of the cages in my house and what was the house built out of and wether there was insulation in the floor and walls. They use all this to work out the size panel you need.
They do promote climbing especially in the bottom cage where there is no floor heat. The female up top gets up in the branches in the morning and through the night when its cooler and comes down during the day when the floor heats up from the panel below. These cages are 600x600x600, but the panel would be too small for say a 1200x600x600 in the same spot. But they work great and are the most efficient way to heat a snake enclosure.

Cheers for the replies guys.

Cement i been looking into the pro heat products they seem the good. how much did the frieghting hurt cost wise?

I reckon i am sorted on what i am going to run now. Looking forward to getting her and watching her settle and prosper.....
fantastic species for sure and alot more affordable these day. Thanks again.

Yommy.....I have only kept 12 of these beauties.....all of which i have raised from hatchies myself......I raise all my RSP in tubs with heat mat as the heat source, until adult size.(different size tubs as required....7ltr, 20ltr, then 52ltr......Then adult enclosures.....
Perfect conditions...never had a bad slough, always feed when offered, can say without doubt that raising them from hatchies to 2 yrs of age......Heat mat is the best source of heating.....

...they seem to spend a fair amount of time on the floor and using a hide.....

so, personally....(depends if you stack enclosures or not).once 2yrs+, heat mat and heat panel in a medium to large enclosure will be spot on if you are not stacking.......mats are fine if stacking.......

Some heat panels available, smell for over 12 months.....that is a downside to heat panels.keep that in mind.... you can always make your own heat panel using heat cord?

Cheers

so, personally....(depends if you stack enclosures or not).once 2yrs+, heat mat and heat panel in a medium to large enclosure will be spot on if you are not stacking.......mats are fine if stacking.......

Cheers

How do you use a heat mat if you're stacking tubs? or are you talking about stacking proper enclosures?

At the moment mine are still in tubs in my rack so obviously heated via a heat cord ..
As adults mine will be in a display type cage each , i use home made panels using cords , queblok and fly screen , this will give them a basking spot up on a branch or the small shelf in the top of the cage plus ground heat from the panel in the cage below .

I pick up my female RSP hatchie from a good mate later this month and wanted to know the ideas for those who actually have this species.

My question is:

What have you found to be the best heating option for your animals?
She is currently in a tub style setup - A/C ambient snake room temp.

The two options i am considering are: heat cord - floor / large tub until yearling and moving to a display cage or
habistat heat panel style, elevated to promote climbing etc.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I had mine in tubs for the frist year with heat cord inside an enclosure with a thermo , now they are bigger they are kept in glass exo terrors with 60W bulbs during the day on timers... no heat at night ( the room never gets below 18C at night)
They are quite awesome snakes to keep , you will love them!

Mine have a heat mat with a hide placed partially over it. Heat is only on daylight off at night.

During the day they are almost always in the hide but at night they are up in the branches , even now with the temps lower, heads pointed down.

glass bottom enclosure, heat mat on outside below hide with aspen bedding as a substrate.

Same for me never had a sloughing issue but I do have a largish water recepticle in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back